New owner

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
StuartA   
Sat Dec 04 2021, 03:17pm
Member No: #4909
Hi everyone,

Just bought a RHD 2009 2.7HDi with 93,000 miles and excellent service and maintenance history. Silver with black interior (would have preferred the beige) and seems to be well specced. It's an Exclusive with Lounge pack .... and it's my very first diesel car!

There are a couple of immediate issues which I'll post in the appropriate section and would be grateful for any help there.

I live in South-West France and the local village has a Citroen garage, but it's a little way out and so I intend to try the Renault dealer who I find very helpful and obliging.

Since retiring out here I've acquired a few cars and until now the big shopping car is my Mercedes CL600 and it isn't the most economical, so I decided to get a diesel "big shopper" for the half-hour trip to the bigger towns.

My other cars are a 1954 Sunbeam Talbot Mk11A, a 1965 Wolseley 6/110, a !987 C4 Corvette, a 1996 Jaguar XJ6 3.2 Sport, a 2001 Jaguar XKR cabriolet and finally the daily shopper which is a 2005 Fiat Panda auto.

Jan and I are retired and live near the village of Villeréal, half an hour s/s/e of Bergerac, Sadly, she does not share my passion for cars but enjoys the many car shows in these lovely parts .... plus the restaurants!

One of the reasons she likes the C6 is because she can get all her lady accessories in the storage/cubby holes ... particularly the door bins. Different priorities, I suppose!

Will post some pictures of the car when it stops raining ... that's why it's called Aquitaine!

Cheers,

Stuart
MGmike   
Sat Dec 04 2021, 05:51pm
Member No: #3151
Hi Stuart, you definitely rival me in the car collection/obsession stakes but I bet yours are in a lot better condition than mine!

3x C6's, 3x C5's, XK8, MGF, 3x MGB's 3x MGB GT's, MGB GT V8, MG1300 and a MG ZB varitone!

Anyway, welcome to the darkside
StuartA   
Sat Dec 04 2021, 08:05pm
Hi Mike,

Just a few MGs, eh?! I always wondered about a V8, but the standard Bs do nothing for me, I'm afraid, but a friend has a few and, like you, he's an enthusiast. Still, if we were all the same, it would be a very dull place.

Just a few C5s & 6s, too ... are they all in service or are some for spares?

Thanks for the welcome ... yes, it's a step into the unknown for me, both with a French car and also a diesel.

Stuart ????
StuartA   
Sat Dec 04 2021, 08:07pm
Sorry - duplicate post
FraserG   
Mon Dec 06 2021, 04:48am
Member No: #2011
Hi Stuart,

One car for each day of the week. Certainly an interesting collection. I'm afraid if I was allowed seven cars they would all be Citroens! I'm badly infected by the bug. We have a C6 and a C4 but I would love some of my previous Citroens back, preferably in near new condition. My seven car garage would include an SM, DS, CX, 2CV and a Traction!

Welcome to the group.
cruiserphil   
Mon Dec 06 2021, 11:35am

Member No: #38
Hello Stuart,

Welcome to C6 ownership. Don't hesitate to post your questions before embarking on any suggested costly repairs. There is a wealth of information from C6 owners past and present over many years here on clever solutions to issues. Even if you don't attempt the repairs yourself, you can provide information to your chosen garage if they are scratching their heads or throwing their hands up in despair!!

When you settle down with the car one upgrade that is definitely recommended/essential is the retrofit of the low coolant sensor to the coolant header tank. A past member Vaho wrote this up with all the parts requirements and installation instructions. You can read all about it on the forum.

Are you a member of the related facebook site?

Best regards,

Phil C.
StuartA   
Tue Dec 07 2021, 05:23pm
FraserG wrote ...

Hi Stuart,

One car for each day of the week. Certainly an interesting collection. I'm afraid if I was allowed seven cars they would all be Citroens! I'm badly infected by the bug. We have a C6 and a C4 but I would love some of my previous Citroens back, preferably in near new condition. My seven car garage would include an SM, DS, CX, 2CV and a Traction!

Welcome to the group.

Thanks Fraser - I have a friend who has an SM, but the last time I saw it there was still some work to do on it. There are always lots of Citroens at the car shows, including a couple of lovely DS's and I'll try and remember to take some pictures when they reappear in the Spring.

Said friend with the SM also has 14 Rolls & Bentleys (he's President of the France RR & Bentley Club) and he explained to me how RR borrowed the Citroen suspension spheres to give their cars their lovely ride. I was completely unaware until then.

I had a Dyane back in the day. The kids called it Kermit ... you can guess why!

Thanks again,

Stuart
StuartA   
Tue Dec 07 2021, 05:33pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello Stuart,

Welcome to C6 ownership. Don't hesitate to post your questions before embarking on any suggested costly repairs. There is a wealth of information from C6 owners past and present over many years here on clever solutions to issues. Even if you don't attempt the repairs yourself, you can provide information to your chosen garage if they are scratching their heads or throwing their hands up in despair!!

When you settle down with the car one upgrade that is definitely recommended/essential is the retrofit of the low coolant sensor to the coolant header tank. A past member Vaho wrote this up with all the parts requirements and installation instructions. You can read all about it on the forum.

Are you a member of the related facebook site?

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hi Phil,

No, I don't do FB, Tw*tter or any similar sites - seems to me too dangerous to put all that information out there for anyone to see. My family despair of the Yorkshire luddite!

I'll have a look at the low coolant sensor mod - thanks for the heads up on that.

There is a classic car garage in town and I've become friends with the guys who run it. I also put a lot of work their way! When I mentioned I was intending to buy the C6, it worried me when they asked me if I was serious and did I know about all those inevitable electrical/electronic issues. This was followed by much shaking of heads.

So I'm really glad to have found this site and you guys!

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Stuart
Trainman   
Tue Dec 14 2021, 01:25pm

Member No: #86
Stuart,

I was always told "the only daft question, is the one you didn't ask"
StuartA   
Thu Dec 16 2021, 04:03pm
Trainman wrote ...

Stuart,

I was always told "the only daft question, is the one you didn't ask"

Thanks Dave - very good advice!

Stuart

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club