Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Buying guide?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
bb2001   
Tue Nov 16 2021, 09:55pm
Member No: #4897
Hi I have just joined and I am wanting to buy a C6. I'm very pleased to have found a C6 forum. I can't find a specific 'buyers guide' or 'common problems' thread here, have I missed it?

One C6 I am looking at is here: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105283193415. Has to be petrol as I am in London. Looks really good but are they really that expensive, for a private sale? My current car - Omega elite V6 was about that age and mileage when I bought it in 2012 and it was only £800!

Thanks in advance for any comments/assistance.
Jas16   
Tue Nov 16 2021, 10:15pm
Member No: #2994
In current marketplace, used car prices have gone up, anything that is ULEZ complaint even more so

The link didn't work, however I think I know the car you refer to as not many petrol C6's around.

Tough one to call. I live in Greater London area and I would still keep my C6 and pay the ULEZ charge as and when I travel into the area which is probably once a month at most. I can appreciate if the situation is different for you though.

Test drive the car of interest first and then see if you feel the car is worth the asking price. BL Autos are closest I would say, particularly if you are able to ask them to view the car with yourself for a fee.
MGmike   
Tue Nov 16 2021, 11:23pm
Member No: #3151
I've just looked at the ad and that is defo an ouch price!

It's low mileage and rare with adds £££ but nearly twice the price of an oil burner, I'm not so sure!

As for a buyers guide, I've not see one but there's plenty of info on here of he issues we've nearly all had at some time or other. Mostly on the diesel cooling system or EGR's which won't be a problem on that car. The only other expensive item is the front struts @ £600 per side for the part. The rest is manageable or routine maintenance.

Oh, welcome to the madhouse

bb2001   
Wed Nov 17 2021, 01:18am
Thanks for the fast replies and sorry about the link - it works if you cut and paste it but not if you click it. I must be doing something wrong, try this - Click Here - or here it is in plain text with some dots removed:

www autotrader co uk/car-details/202105283193415

It does seem quite expensive compared to some other makes I am looking at with similar age and mileage - S Class Mercs, Audi A8s, Jag XJ X351s.
ul9601   
Wed Nov 17 2021, 02:40am
Member No: #1975
is this going to be your second car?
bb2001   
Wed Nov 17 2021, 12:29pm
No it's to replace my Omega. My partner has a small car which I can use if I need to. Hence my car doesn't have to in full working order 24/7, so I can buy an old one.
ul9601   
Wed Nov 17 2021, 06:40pm
Yes, you'll definitely need a second car (one might say the use of a second car in the household may not always be convenient, even though you'd probably have a courtesy car if it needs work)
For all around use, petrol 3L V6 is definitely the one to go for if the choice is between 2.7HDi and ES9 V6 petrol.
Come to think of it, it's surprising no one has come up with a buyers' guide in this forum - because this is one of the better car forums out there.
Not sure a buyers' guide will help though, unless you want to tick a list of what work has been done recently (meaning you are good in that department for a while)
This may be the approach you want to take, as when I bought my car, it was fine, no issues but I did spend plenty of money subsequently.
Tjensen   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 12:55pm
Member No: #954
My C6 3.0 Hdi 2010 is my only car and it has been reliable and good (with maintenance and some small happenings: generator crash the most dramatic) 210 000 km and still the new car feeling. There are some issues that should be on a buyers guide and that are often discussed on this forum.
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 01:53pm

Member No: #38
Hello bb2201,

It does seem quite expensive compared to some other makes I am looking at with similar age and mileage - S Class Mercs, Audi A8s, Jag XJ X351s.

There does appear to be a specific demand for the petrol version as there is for the 2.2HDi's. This may be influencing the price expectation of the owner. Looking at the advert and the details it does look a very well cared for example with some important work relevant to its age/mileage already done. As suggested you should contact BL Autos, initially to see if they remember the car.

As with all these things, you ultimately have to decide how much you want it. And there's always that element of taking "a leap of faith." We managed to buy a 3.0HDi RHD a few years ago. At the time some C6 owners thought we paid over the odds for it but we didn't want to pass up the opportunity and particularly as we had first refusal. But now if I was to ask you to get one for me for no more than the price we paid I'm confident you won't.

As regards reliability, some owners have had terrible reliability, others like Tjensen and ourselves thankfully have had good. Our two cars are our everyday cars and in C6 ownership of nearly 11 years with the 2.7 we have had only one breakdown requiring recovery of the car. And that was when the plastic outlet coolant tank burst while undergoing MOT. And if you look a the forum we've all learned that part you treat as a consumable and change every 50000 miles or so. That may not be relevant to your petrol engine.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Phil C.
Hattershaun   
Sat Nov 20 2021, 08:36am
Member No: #320
bb2001 wrote ...

Hi I have just joined and I am wanting to buy a C6. I'm very pleased to have found a C6 forum. I can't find a specific 'buyers guide' or 'common problems' thread here, have I missed it?

One C6 I am looking at is here: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105283193415. Has to be petrol as I am in London. Looks really good but are they really that expensive, for a private sale? My current car - Omega elite V6 was about that age and mileage when I bought it in 2012 and it was only £800!

There were only 32 petrol C6 registered new in the U.K.
20 remain according to the How Many Left website.
So, a rare car & prices will reflect that, with little competition &/or comparison.
I know 5 owners of petrol C6, all are very unlikely to sell their's anytime soon.
ul9601   
Sat Nov 20 2021, 09:29am
Hattershaun wrote ...

bb2001 wrote ...

There were only 32 petrol C6 registered new in the U.K.
20 remain according to the How Many Left website.
So, a rare car & prices will reflect that, with little competition &/or comparison.
I know 5 owners of petrol C6, all are very unlikely to sell their's anytime soon.

How about grey import from Asia - would that make sense financially or getting it complianced in the UK system? I'm not in the UK so I don't know but we have a fair few (relatively speaking) of ES9 C6 ex-HK, Singapore or Japan etc. Most NZ new were 2.7HDi left over from Australia, I think. There are odd 2.2HDi ex-UK but I think it defeats the purpose of the car but that's just me.
Whatever you do, don't settle for something you are not happy with but then you need to drive a few first.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club