C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Gearbox problems

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Radox   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 09:25am
Member No: #4044
I have big problems with my gearbox, that are getting progressively worse. In the spring, I had the known problem with broken heat exchanger of the gearbox and transmission oil was leaking in the coolant. I changed the part, cleaned the coolant and no longer have the problem.

HOWEVER, I now have strong vibrations when I press on the accelerator pedal, the changes from 3/4 and 4/5 are weird - the RPM goes down and then immediately back up, at 85kmh there is a always a strong grinding noise, and the overall acceleration of the car is sometimes weak. Could some coolant have entered the gearbox and damaged it, or is only the valve block of the gearbox broken because of dirty transmission oil? What do you think?

The question is what should I do? I mean, in what sequence?

1. Try a complete gearbox oil flush to clean the 'box?
2. Then change the valve block with a brand new one, when point 1 brings nothing.
3. Then buy a used gearbox and chage it also, when point 2 brings nothing.

Is my "plan" correct? Do you have any other propositions? Please give me some advice, because driving the car has become a pretty bad experience.
MGmike   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 12:32pm
Member No: #3151
As per my facebook post on the same subject, jump straight to 3 and save yourself some expense and heartache.
Tjensen   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 12:46pm
Member No: #954
There are a few stories about this problem, and some of them ended in much work and much money. I think your stepwise plan is good. The alternative to "3." is a full stripdown, cleaning etc, more expensive then a "new" used box.(remember that "our" box is quite common and used by many manufacturers with small differences)
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 01:58pm

Member No: #38
Hello Radox,

If you search the forum, member David Hallworth posted on a 3.0HDi C6 he purchased and presently owns that had burst its transmission cooler. He found that the coolant entering the transmission contaminated the brake linings requiring a transmission strip down and rebuild.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Radox   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 04:35pm
I have found a pretty cheap box from a PEUGEOT 607 2.7HDI with only 84000km. Will it function with the C6?
TheGerman   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 07:52pm
Member No: #3175
The gearbox must be a TF-80SC 20GG09

MGmike   
Thu Nov 18 2021, 08:00pm
Member No: #3151
Radox wrote ...

I have found a pretty cheap box from a PEUGEOT 607 2.7HDI with only 84000km. Will it function with the C6?

If it's a similar age it should be the same but double check the model code. I fitted one from a 407 to one of mine without issue.

Radox   
Thu Nov 25 2021, 11:25am
Can someone tell me, if this gearbox is with the hydraulic valve block attached, or not? If yes, I will be able to "skip" Step 2 and buy it directly together with the block. But I don't know where it is located

- Click Here -

Well, I have found where it is located. I am now waiting for pictures from the seller.

Another question. Why must the gearbox be 20GG09? What's the difference with 20GG07? I have found a lot of these for sale.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club