Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Right hand side driveshaft removal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
CorneSoutAfrica   
Mon Sep 20 2021, 06:22am
Member No: #2836
Hi Everyone

Long time no post, although alot has happened. I removed the DPS and the front oxidizing catalyst to clean the ash from them. It started with the rear bank oxidizing catalyst that rusted through where the clamp to the DPF is situated.

Anycase, the right hand side inner driveshaft boot on my car is damaged, I want to replace it, but I am unsure on how to remove the driveshaft with the intermediate bearing sitting behind the inner driveshaft boot, should the driveshaft just be able to pull out once it is loose from the wheel hub or am I missing something?

Thanks
Corne
MGmike   
Mon Sep 20 2021, 07:36am
Member No: #3151
Hi Corne,
You're missing something

The bearing has a clamp plate on the carrier. Two torx screws at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock. The top one just needs loosening as the plate slides out on a groove. The bottom one needs to come all the way out to allow the plate to be removed. I think the design intention was to allow the bearing to come out without removing the plate, just swinging it away from the bearing but there's just not enough room! You'll need to rotate the shaft to line up the recessed sections of the joint to allow access to the screw heads and use 1/4" or 3/8" torx bits and lots of extensions to get to them. I hope you have the car in the air as the bearing could be really tight and the use of a very long leaver may be required. On the other hand it could fall out!

All the best

CorneSoutAfrica   
Mon Sep 20 2021, 08:41am
I just saw what you mean! Thank you!

There is loads of space with the catalyst removed, guess now it will go relatively easy!

I will report back
Kind regards
Corne
CorneSoutAfrica   
Mon Sep 20 2021, 12:04pm
I got it all out. But how do you remove the triaxle from the triaxle cup? It seems to not just slide out? Am I missing something?
MGmike   
Mon Sep 20 2021, 05:36pm
It's better if you can get the boot on from the outer end and not dismantle the inner CV joint. The Tri axle is held in the pot by "dimples" in the metal case but can usually be removed with a sharp rap of a mallet (usually without damage!). Once you get one clear the others will fall out as you would expect.

This probably doesn't need saying but... make sure you get the correct replacement boot as it's not a "universal" type. It has three rubber "blocks" that fit in the pot recessed sections.

D5252T   
Sat Oct 09 2021, 01:15pm
Member No: #4478
I can't get right shaft out of gearbox. How did you get it out? I removed catalyst and bearing housing. And I hit it with sledge hammer. And it does not move a bit. Did you pry it out or hammer it out?
MGmike   
Sat Oct 09 2021, 04:01pm
The first time, I had the engine out and the shaft had split at the inner joint. The bearing was completely seized in the carrier, needing a significant amount of hammering to get it out. Once freed off, it made the second removal a simple task of levering from below.
The shaft usually only needs a small amount of effort to leaver it (with a little shock) from the gearbox. It's important to keep it straight as any sideway movement causes it to bind. If you have the bearing carrier off it might be prudent to put it back on to support the alignment of the shaft.

D5252T   
Tue Oct 12 2021, 10:00am
I got it out. I put carrier back order to keep it alligned. It needed like hundred hits with sledge hammer. Also I tried to destroy the bearing with Dremel - I am not sure if it helped. Thanks!
D5252T   
Wed Oct 27 2021, 09:22am
How do I press the new bearing to bearing carrier? I guess that must be done before I attach it to gearbox?
MGmike   
Wed Oct 27 2021, 12:10pm
Make sure the carrier and bearing are spotless and it should slide in! It's not an interference fit, doesn't need any force to insert, hence the need for the outer retaining plate.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club