C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

New to me C6. Has a couple of niggles to address

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dirtydaily   
Thu Sep 16 2021, 06:46pm
Member No: #4841
Hi guys, picked myself up a C6 and on my way home the EML came on with the code being P0407. EGR valve position B.
I am led to believe this is the front one (not the dreaded rear) but I was wondering if there are things to check before immediately replacing.
The car is a 2.7 58 plate on 52k miles. Car drives fine otherwise and power feels good. Tried clearing but it came back fairly quickly. Is it worth just replacing, if so how difficult is it for a DIYer and where is the best to source the parts from? Thank you in advance chaps and yes I am enjoying my first citroen!
MGmike   
Thu Sep 16 2021, 07:13pm
Member No: #3151
You're correct it's the front one and, believe it or not, I reckon it's harder to do than the rear one!

I also doubt it needs replacing and I'd be very surprised if it can't be cleaned once it's removed. A garage is unlikely to do that but if you're up for the challenge... remove the bumper, have the aircon degassed, remove the radiator, condenser, intercooler and fan pack from the front and its right there in front of you.

It is possible to do it without removing that lot but you run the risk of putting a hole in the radiator. You do still need to remove all the fan pack mounting bolts to gain a couple of inches but it is possible. Others have attacked it from below but TBH I couldn't get to the bolts that way and wouldn't even try next time.

best of luck getting it sorted.

onthecut   
Fri Sep 17 2021, 10:51am
Member No: #2793
And while you have the front end out, be sure to check the condition of the coolant hose stub on the front of the block. On mine, it disintegrated as soon as I moved the hose. If you wind up shuffling pipes and hoses about, especially the numerous vacuum ones, carefully check them before final reassembly. Maybe I was unlucky, but on mine they seemed to have used specially brittle piping which didn't take kindly to being disturbed at all.

Also with the front out, check the fan shafts for wobbliness.

Mike.
Dirtydaily   
Sat Sep 18 2021, 03:44pm
Member No: #4841
Thank you chaps. After seeing what's involved above I thought I would try my luck at just taking off the top pipe and spraying egr cleaner in there while opening the actuator. Seems to be moving freely. Also sprayed some EGR cleaner into the intake for around 10 mins on and off so it didn't hurt the engine. (Using wynns egr cleaner) I have also used wynns extreme diesel cleaner in the fuel and when I top up I will add more and use super diesel. Hopefully that mixed with an Italian tune up may be all it needed since its only on just over 50k miles. I have cleared the code and shall see if it returns.

Also one more fault I forgot to mention!
The front right tyre has been changed and I am now being warned that the tyre pressure is no longer being monitored? Any ideas?
Cheers
MGmike   
Sat Sep 18 2021, 05:15pm
Member No: #3151
Good news on the EGR, see how it goes. The way they're constructed makes it impossible to clean properly without splitting the electric's half from the valve body but lets hope it was just sticking due to lack of use.

On the TPMS. Have they replaced the valve with a standard rubber one? The error is telling you the system isn't getting a single from a recognised (programmed) sensor. If the valve stem is metal it sounds like they've damaged/broken the sensor when changing the wheel.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club