C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Oil pressure sensor

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Nikolaj   
Fri Jun 11 2021, 10:58pm
Member No: #4047
Where is the oil pressure sensor located on the engine?

And where to get the sensor? (Autodoc only has oil level sensor)

From time to time, i get "oil pressure low warning", and it happens when I release the brake, after waiting for green light, engine rpm drops a bit when gearbox engage, as soon as I touch the accelerator, warning dissapears again, but it's quite anoing. I have experienced bad oil pressure sensors in my previous XJ6, so I'll start with that.
I plan on changing the oilpump at 200.000km when cambelt is due. (I'm now at 183.000km)
Nikolaj   
Wed Jun 23 2021, 01:54pm
OK, found a C6 switch locally. (Autodoc also have it, but you have to search for Jaguar S-type)

And the location from Land Rover forum. (between valve cover and EGR pipe.)

arconell3   
Fri Jun 25 2021, 07:53pm
Member No: #922
Hmmm, just a piece of advice: before putting in a new oil pressure sensor, get an oil change done. Make sure you get the proper oil quality, i.e. Total 5W30 Ineo ECS, or equivalent. Don't use a 0W.. oil viscosity, because that may cause a low oil pressure warning all by itself.... Also, oil dilution (diluted with diesel fuel) will cause the same problem if you're lucky, if not, or when ignored, it may cause a seized engine.

What I am trying to say is that in these 2.7 engines a defective oil pressure sensor is extremely rare, which means that any low oil pressure warning invariably signals a real oil pressure problem!

regards, Robert
Website
Nikolaj   
Mon Jul 26 2021, 04:38pm
But oil pressure sensors/switch do go, I haven't had the problem since I changed it, and I do run Total 5W30 Ineo. ECS.
But a small advice if you get an aftermarket sensor, the original sensor has a "cone" shaped thread,(smaller diameter at the tip) so it will be absolutly tight sitting in the cylinder head, the new sensor had normal straight thread like a bolt, so I had to grind it in "cone" shape, not ideal, but it works. Just tested it on "Autobahn", and no leaks.
I don't know if Citroen still has the sensor, but I would try them first next time, just to get the thread right.
Come to think of it, I think the Jaguar sensor I changed a few years back had the same "cone" thread, so must have got an original sensor then.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club