Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Wanted - OEM Undertray 4 2007 C6 2.7 HDI Exclusive.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ranger12   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 01:13pm
Member No: #4492
Hi there fellow C6 enthusiasts,

I have already posted on this site about the woes I've had with a particular Garage in my area, and the damage they have done to my car, and this post is related to all that, as sadly my woes continue ...

... so my local garage removed my under tray with fixings, disposed of it, and kept that fact hidden from me.

Some might remember me mentioning that my car sounded much noisier since they did an intermediate service on it, and some might remember there was an issue with them overcharging an extra litre of oil in my engine (2.7 HDI).

So just as a recap, On January the 18th, the garage contacted me to indicate they were now willing to avoid court (as I gave them till the end of day on my birthday to respond or face legal action), and they then had the car back to remedy the issues they had caused, or so I thought.

Long story short, the cambelts were fine, it was/is a duff battery cell causing 357 faults - all low power faults, and this in combination with one injector over-fuelling, is what made starting hard, and caused smoke, and rough, noisy running from cold. They also admitted (recorded) that they had in fact removed my undertray, they say because it had a split in the rear of it, but forgot to tell me (despite having the car back since then several times), which I do not believe, but gave them the benefit of doubt.

They said they would replace this, as well as doing the other work they are liable for, this was 3 weeks ago now, and they still haven't.

Incidentally, I mentioned the oil in the engine, because yesterday, after following the manual to a tee, I had to pull out just over 1 litre of excess C4 engine oil, which they assured me they had not overfilled ... and turns out they had. My engine was literally a few CCs away from eating itself. The level is now smartly between high and low as indicated by the manual. I think this might go some way to explain why I also kept getting Particulate System failure warnings.

Back to the undertray. So I waited 2 weeks (again) whilst they 'worked' on my car (they left it standing for two weeks in damp and wet conditions) and when I did get the car back (after yet another argument with them), not only had they not done any of the work they promised to do, they tried to fob me off with a cheap ebay replacement instead of a solid OEM undertray, then offered to go halves with me on a new one, which I turned down.

They returned the car to me with the inner rear boot lining pulled out, mould everywhere in the boot, and the battery loose with it's fixings strewn in the boot, and they also couldn't be [%*^#@!] to put the cover back over the terminals in the boot and the front of the car.

As far as I am concerned, they illegally removed and disposed of my undertray without telling me, without taking any photos of the condition, and without following my instructions that they were to make available to me any parts they removed or replaced.

I think I am well within my rights to demand new OEM parts. I did say if they could find an OEM second-hand one in good condition, I would accept that. However I can't find one, and so far they are either ignoring the issue in the hopes I will give up, or force me to accept an ebay one, which I will not on either count.

So I have come here to ask if anyone has an unbroken, original equipment Undertray to sell? I have put out part searches, but no joy yet.

Failing this, it looks like I will have to take them to court, however on that point, the last time I dealt with them they said they are not part of any trade Ombudsman, yet I picked up a leaflet from their office for the Motor Trade Ombudsman, which was clearly on display.

Seems to me they either are a member, or they are trying to give customers the impression they are. Why display such leaflets for customers to take, if they are not members?

I have got a quote from Citroen for £383.54 with fittings for an OEM undertray, and it will have to come from France.
Dan595   
Wed Mar 03 2021, 10:19am
Member No: #299
By chance I have had a similar experience recently, except that part of the undertray became detached the first time I got the car on the motorway following a service - about a week afterwards. A week before the service the car had been MoT'd.

The dealers (main agent, I have full Citroen service history now at 244K miles) were very understanding when I rang them from the next services and asked me to bring the car in, which I did. Having been told all was sorted, I drove off happily, only to find later that the undertray had been removed and disposed of.

After a few short conversations, they did - to their credit - cover the cost of the replacement undertray and fitting it. And yes, it had to come from France.

I did find that the mpg figures were quite significantly affected by running without an undertray. On long runs (all I usually do) the return is typically 42 mpg (2.2 manual). Without the undertray (I had about four months without), it never hit 39 mpg. Obviously a 2.7 may be different.

When it looked like I might have a buy a replacement myself, I did find that it seems that the undertray is shared with C5 and Peugeot 407 and maybe 508, but there are some variants.

Ranger12   
Thu Apr 15 2021, 10:32am
Hi Dan, thanks for letting me know.

I have just today picked up my new OEM undertray with fixings, but I am now really angry, because the OEM undertray (all £402 of it) has come with no sound-proofing, which was the whole reason I didn't buy the flimsy-looking £40 ebay one, as all the OEM pics I've seen show thick sound-proofing.

I attach pictures of this brand new 'OEM' C6 Undertray so others can advise me if this is correct, or if I have yet again been duped, now by a different garage entirely.

cruiserphil   
Fri Apr 16 2021, 03:33pm

Member No: #38
Hello Ranger,

I can confirm you have not been duped. It appears that Citroen changed the underguard features at some point to what you see. I just happen to have the underguard off our 2009 car as we speak and I had a look and it's identical to what you have received. I notice the underguard has the bolt icons on it. On our car there are two torx heads bolts that screw into plastic inserts in the subframe. These are not present on our 2007 car where the underguard is secured solely with the push in pins.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Phil C.

Ranger12   
Fri Apr 16 2021, 04:11pm
Hi Cruiserphil,

thank you very much for that info. I did wonder if Citroen have changed the design as I went to a different garage in Worcester today and found their fiche shows no sound-deadening foam pads.

Can you confirm if this newer unit quietens the engine noise, or if we all now have to have our C6's noisier than when they were first released?

After The French Car Centre in Cheltenham dishonestly removed and disposed of mine the car became much noisier. Sadly because I never had a chance to take it off myself, I cannot confirm it had sound-deadening pads. However, when I bought this car I could not hear the engine running unless I put my foot down hard. Immediately following the removal of the tray, after the fist time I used the incompetent and criminal garage, the engine could easily be identified from sound alone as diesel, which wasn't possible before.

I mention this, as the new item just does not look any better quality than what I have seen advertised on the net for 10 times less (£40), yet I have seen complaints on this site that the thin plastic trays (from ebay) do not dampen the sound of the engine, and are prone to coming off unless modified.

I really am annoyed at going through all of this to find the new part at 10 times the price of cheaper ones, is basically the same thickness and material as the cheaper ones.

If this part does actually quieten my engine to pre-FrenchCarCentre levels, then fair enough, as they will be paying for it through court anyway, but I am loath to keep this unit if the cheap ebay ones do exactly the same job, as I am damned near bankrupt because of those f-wits.
cruiserphil   
Sat Apr 17 2021, 08:43am

Hello Ranger,

Hard to make a comparison with the 2.7 because the 3.0HDi has Bosch injection and sounds quieter anyway. However, I have the underguard off at the moment after a timing belt change and will be taking the car for a spin to heat up the oil for oil change. When that's done and the underguard is back on I'll try and make a comparison.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Fraunie   
Sat Apr 17 2021, 11:10am
Member No: #3763
I bought my car without undertray and bought then a cheap one first, which was definitely right for the garbage can.
I ended up with a used one, which I had to repair. I added some additional sound proofing, as the original one was quite rotten. But you are right: The original one (when the car came on the market) had a larger sound proofing (I have made an exact duplicate on mine)

From outside the engine is definitely more quiet, but the main reason for me to fix one, was for aerodynamics and for protection...

Ranger12   
Sun Apr 18 2021, 09:18am
Thank you all, I'll stick with what I've ended up with, I'm still quite shocked at the price of this piece of plastic as it is most certainly a Citroen rip-off, there is no way this cost them anywhere near that to make, and well ... obscene profit margins.

I will also be looking to see if I can mount it more securely, as this is about the most expensive bit of plastic I have ever had the misfortune to have to replace.

Can anyone recommend sound dampening material which I can add to this like the original design? I know there are quite a few types of material, but I'm after the stuff that really works, like OEM manufacturers use.
Fraunie   
Sun Apr 18 2021, 10:20am
Member No: #3763
I used this one, from a German OEM (Mercedes) Manufacturer:

https://www.adms-shop.de/Hitzeschild-Glasfasermatte-mit-gepraegter-Aluminiumfolie/H-7-2

More common and probably more available for you is "Dynamat"
cruiserphil   
Mon Apr 19 2021, 09:14am

Hello Ranger12,

Just a follow up on the underguard. Refitted, the engine is marginally quieter outside the car. Inside the car I couldn't sense any difference. As per Fraunie's comment, I prefer to have the underguard for the protection and it helps to keep the engine bay clean.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Ranger12   
Mon Apr 19 2021, 09:49am
Thank you all for your advice, I will get some Dynamat and modify my tray in the hope this will quieten things down. Whilst I agree that protection is the more important issue along with aerodynamics, it really winds me up that the car was very quiet when I bought it, and two weeks later after the Cowboys got their crooked mitts on it, that changed. I am very not happy about the price, I would have paid that price a little happier had Citroen decided not to remove the padding, AND keep the price the same. This is Citroen being greedy and downright unfriendly, and I can see no good reason for them to have surreptitiously changed the design without at least lowering the price to reflect the fact that you have to pay more for even less quality.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club