Odd steering issue with a 2.2

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
docgaz   
Fri Apr 16 2021, 06:42pm
Member No: #4012
Hi there.

A couple of years ago I added a 2007 C6 2.2 Exclusive to my collection (GSA, Xantia Activa, XM, Cactus - too many!). I’ve not had much chance to get to know it as it developed (or more likely, revealed) an odd steering fault after 6 months. Most of the time it’s ok but occasionally the steering becomes lumpy or assistance cuts out briefly (generally after a long period of running straight, which makes roundabouts fun!). The pump also coughs-up a load of LDS after every few runs. Neither is helpful or probably entirely safe!

I’ve had the pump replaced (separate on a 2.2 as I’m sure you’ll know) and had the rack refurbished and double-checked. That only leaves the power steering pipework which, of course, is long deleted and unobtainable. It's all been bled several times but does not fix the issue for long.

Now, 2.2s are thin on the ground but I was just wondering whether anyone has ever come across this sort of problem before?

Better still, I’m hoping against hope that you might know someone who hoards these parts (they’ve eluded me!) or had steering pipes rebuilt and knows a good place for that.

Any advice or ideas gratefully received!
MGmike   
Fri Apr 16 2021, 07:01pm
Member No: #3151
You could try these guys if they are still trading. I say that because they still have a Christmas banner on their website!

- Click Here -

Might be able to make new for you..
docgaz   
Wed Jul 14 2021, 06:48pm
Belated thanks for the link MGMike.

As an update, in the end I've had the existing pipes refurbished but the problem persists and I wonder if anyone has any more thoughts or advice.

It seems to be that air is getting into the power steering system, causing the LDS to froth and overflow from the reservoir (and causing occasional lumpiness and loss of assistance in the steering).

I've seen similar problems reported in Peugeot 407s which have a very similar pump/reservoir. Frothing happens, it seems, because the return pipe comes in near the upper fill level and so over-filling the reservoir seems to sort it. However, on the C6 2.2 the return pipe comes in at the bottom, so this should not be an issue.

Anyone any experience with air getting into their 2.2 steering system or any thoughts as to how it might be happening? The pipes and rack have been refurbished and the pump replaced with a new one.

Very frustrating!
LowdhamC6   
Fri May 13 2022, 10:52am
Member No: #2865
Hi docgaz
I was just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of the problem you had with the powersteering on your C6 2.2
I am a C6 2.2 owner and am experiencing what seems like a similar problem with my powersteering. The pump which is relatively new (2 years old) has been checked, together with the rack - which both seem fine. Replacing the pipes doesn't seem an option as they are now out of production - but they have been removed, cleaned and 'blown through' to make sure there are no blockages.
After driving home from the garage (about 100 miles away) yesterday, I checked the cap on the steering fluid reservoir and saw that fluid had leaked out together with some fluid that was under the car. Starting the engine today and turning the steering wheel to full lock in both directions, I then looked in the reservoir to find the fluid had frothed up, indicating that air must be getting into the system.
I'd be interested to know what your eventual outcome was, as Im thinking I might have to scrap the car, which is a shame.
docgaz   
Sun May 15 2022, 01:08pm
Hi LowdhamC6,

Sorry to see that you’re experiencing the same problem. In one sense, the fact that it’s happened to someone else suggests there may be a wider problem as these vehicles age although there are so few 2.2s in the UK it’s not been recognised.

In relation to my vehicle, I got it back from the garage in August after a rack refurbishment, pipe refurbishment and replacement pump. I’ve driven over 500 miles since. Initially I still had the frothing/overspill problem. I topped up with LDS about three or four times (filling to or slightly above the upper limit). With use it seems to have settled down and I’ve not had to top it up for the past 4 months and the frothing/overspill seems to have stopped.

So, please don’t scrap the car! It may be that getting all the air out takes time but, like mine, it may settle. The pipe refurbs etc do seem to have done the trick, albeit not straightaway.

David K   
Tue Jun 07 2022, 03:42pm
Member No: #42
I guess this will not help your issues, but I've noticed that the steering pump works much better with Total Fluide DA than LDS. There has been some issues with clients 2.2:s where the assistance has been coming on and off, and it totally disappeared when exchanging to Fluide DA. It was first exchanged to LDS but didn't make any positive difference.

So my experience is that the pump for some reason seems to like the Fluide DA-oil much better than LDS. But if you get air into the system I guess this will not have any bigger impact, but I can recommend to change the oil anyway in case you have LDS in it.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club