C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Steering issues

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Johnwh   
Sun Feb 28 2021, 09:30pm
Member No: #4581
Hi , I am a very recent owner of a 2006 C6 in Australia. The car was from Sydney and has done 158000 kilometres.
I am just in the process of getting it road worthy to transfer to Vic registration as well as getting the timing belts and water pumps done along with some new suspension bushes, all of which is ok and what I expected.
What I want to ask your collective opinion on is to do with some side lurching while driving which sets off some instability with the steering which is disconcerting.
Up until now I reconciled a full check of all the suspension elements before looking at management systems however the steering is worrying because it also includes a vibration on the wheel at idle. I have looked at engine idle but now feel it might be more connected with the steering.
A further issue I just identified this morning is that the steering doesn’t self centre as I believe these cars do.
Interested in your thoughts.
Cheers John.
jamescarruthers   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 12:16am
Member No: #1548
Hi John, I can’t help you with your troubles, but can tell you that there (sadly) hasn’t been self-centring DIRAVI steering on Citroen’s since the LHD XM!
MGmike   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 06:02am
Member No: #3151
Hi John and welcome to the mad house...

Although the steering is not self centring in the way older Citroens were, modern cars should centre simply as a result of the steering geometry. As your car mis-behaves (lurches to the side) I would start by getting a full wheel alignment check. You should be looking for castor and camber errors as well as the standard toe. Don't forget the rears on these are also adjustable.

The vibration through the steering isn't something I've come across and I guess a faulty rack could be the cause if all the geometry is within spec.

arconell3   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 04:27pm
Member No: #922
Hi John,
Since your car is a 2006 model, I would also suggest checking the lower ball joints. If the original type of ball joints is fitted on your car, they won't last long, the seals are lousy and that invariably results in the ingress of water and road dirt, affecting steering pretty much the way you describe your problem. Also, when checking these joints you will not always immediately notice play on them, unless they are already completely worn out.

Since 2007 Cit mounted an improved version of these ball joints, solving the problem effectively. However, if you put in the new type, it won't fit on the old pivot, so you'll have to change both, if that hasn't already been done by the previous owner. The new ones will usually last up to 100.000 miles, the old ones some 10.000 if you're lucky. If you need to change them, get the originals from Cit, the cheaper brands often use ball bearings, which are totally unsuitable. (self aligning barrel bearings are needed here). See also - Click Here -, and look for: Citroën C6: Technical tips and known problems, bottom of the page.

Regards, Robert
Website
cruiserphil   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 05:40pm

Member No: #38
Hello John,

Just to add to the pointers. Have you checked your LDS level?? Also, if it's a 2.2 it has a separate power steering reservoir.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Radox   
Sun Mar 07 2021, 10:37am
Member No: #4044
arconell3 wrote ...

Hi John,
Since your car is a 2006 model, I would also suggest checking the lower ball joints. If the original type of ball joints is fitted on your car, they won't last long, the seals are lousy and that invariably results in the ingress of water and road dirt, affecting steering pretty much the way you describe your problem. Also, when checking these joints you will not always immediately notice play on them, unless they are already completely worn out.

Do you know the part numbers of said lower ball joints?
Fraunie   
Sun Mar 07 2021, 01:15pm
Member No: #3763
You can find all part-numbers here:

http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en&l=c3Q9PTQwfHxzdHM9PXsiMTAiOiJNb2RlbCIsIjIwIjoiQzYiLCI0MCI6IkJvZHk6IDQgRE9PUiBTQUxPT04gXC8gRW5naW5lOiAyLjcgSERpIHBhcnRpY2xlIGVtaXNzaW9uIGZpbHRlciJ9fHxjb2RlPT0xQ1g2fHxib2R5PT1CMERBNHx8ZW5naW5lPT1CMEZOMQ%3D%3D

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club