C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Odd coolant color

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Cisco   
Fri Feb 19 2021, 11:25am
Member No: #1429
Is this part 1336Y2 (which I also changed) or something else?

Yes, that's the one Sounds like the exchanger then. Source a secondhand unit and find a private garage to fit if you cannot do it yourself. It took me about 3 hours to change it out. Then flush the system a few times. I think I used dishwasher cleaner IIRC
Tjensen   
Fri Feb 19 2021, 02:22pm
Member No: #954
The absolute simplest/cheapest: 1. If the coolant is filled a little too high it will oveflow some drops when hot, leaving white traces. The max mark is to be taken serious and difficult to see. 2. Original coolant was red. New Citroen correct part number is bluegreen. A mix will be your colour.
Next in line are the heat exchangers: there are one for engine oil under the filter and one on the gearbox. Both can fail. Gearbox the most dramatic and expensive if not dealt with quickly.
Radox   
Fri Feb 26 2021, 09:46am
Member No: #4044
Tjensen wrote ...

Next in line are the heat exchangers: there are one for engine oil under the filter and one on the gearbox. Both can fail. Gearbox the most dramatic and expensive if not dealt with quickly.

Can you tell me the part number for the heat exchanger of the gearbox?

I already have the drawing and part numbers for the oil exchanger.
Fraunie   
Fri Feb 26 2021, 01:20pm
Member No: #3763
https://eurofrance24.com/engine-oil-coolerr-new-original-citroen-peugeot-am6-oe-227557-227557.html

200 € cheaper compared to "Der-Ersatzteile-Profi"...
Radox   
Thu Mar 04 2021, 05:17pm
Member No: #4044
OH MY GOD!

I am puzzled beyond belief! I went with my car to two licensed Citroen dealers here in Germany and they told me two exactly OPPOSITE things regarding my problem of oil in the expansion tank!

The first dealer told me he's "100% absoulutely sure" that BOTH my head gaskets are blown, the oil cooler (part 1103N4) and its gasket are also blown and must be changed, and according to official Citroen prescriptions, a ton of other parts must be changed together with them including six diesel fuel lines (part 1570H0) and also the thermostat (1336Y3) and so on! The offer for this repair was over 5000 euros!

Then two days later i took the car to another Citroen dealer and he tol me he's "100% absolutely sure" that the head gaskets are OK and the problem is the heat exchanger for the gearbox (parn 227557) and the oil in my expansion tank smells of automatic gearbox oil. The offer is around 700 euros!

So, what do you guys think? Is the first one trying to rip me off BADLY, or is the second one not competent enough? I will of course take the car to a third dealer soon to hear his diagnosis too, but I can't believe someone can be so greedy as to lie to a car owner that his headgasket is blown.
Fraunie   
Thu Mar 04 2021, 06:18pm
Member No: #3763
As you are based in Germany you could talk to the people at "Oelcheck.de" and have a probe of your coolant analyzed: - Click Here -

I am quite sure they can tell you once and for all what kind of stuff pollutes your coolant...
Tjensen   
Thu Mar 04 2021, 06:24pm
Member No: #954
The smell of gear oil is an indicator. I would go for no 2 and would do it before coolant in gearbox makes it a much more complicated and expensive process. No 1 may try to be realistic/pessimistic and may also hope to not work on this very complicated car.
Cisco   
Sat Mar 06 2021, 04:16pm
Member No: #1429
Fraunie's suggestion is a good one.

However to check if the gearbox cooler is the problem it is a straightforward job to bypass the oilcooler. Then flush the coolant system and run it for a couple of weeks. As it is winter this will have no effect on your box. I did exactly this when I had my event.

I doubt your problem is the g'box cooler however if it is then make sure you fully replace the ATF fluid in the box (3 partial fills) as water will have found its way into the box. It might be an idea to drain a little of the g'box oil to check for any water/oil emulsion.

I'm repeating myself here but if your car is running well with steady temps, despite the oil problem, then your problem is not HGF.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club