C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Simple LDS level check - how?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
chrisisbd   
Tue Dec 08 2020, 01:42pm
Member No: #2258
Is it possible to do a reasonable LDS level check without the special equipment that the Citroen documents require?

Specifically is it OK (as described elsewhere here) to simply lower the suspension to minimum/lowest and then check that the LDS level is at about the bottom of the filler?
arconell3   
Tue Dec 08 2020, 03:14pm
Member No: #922
I'm afraid not! With the car in its lowest position (via console button) you still shouldn't see any LDS in the tank. If you do, there is already at least 1/2 litre too much in the system. Trouble is, that depressurizing the system (using Diagbox) will in that case invariably make the tank overflow, which in the end will ruin your BHI (hydraulic pump unit). To prevent that from happening you"ll need an additional canister to fit on top of the LDS tank with a closing valve so as to prevent LDS spilling all over the place once you take the canister off. Alternatively you can take the tank out of the car and empty it before depressurising the system....

Regards, Robert
Website
Tjensen   
Tue Dec 08 2020, 05:54pm
Member No: #954
My experience with the simple "see the LDS at bottom at lowest" is in tune with your explanation. It will overfill and then spill in certain situations. More embarrassing than dangerous with the latest cap and/or loosening the cap. I think my garage and myself are doing this error and creating situations. But what to do? And why in #"#ยค%& could they avoid have warnings and simple checking of hydraulic and cooling fluids !!!!!! They even put in low-level warning for the windscreen washer level and they used to have nice warning systems (from DS for LHM and CX also for coolant ?)
chrisisbd   
Fri Dec 11 2020, 12:45pm
Thanks all, maybe a 'better than nothing' approach would be to lower suspension, fill to bottom of filler and then extract half a litre.

Is there a 'not enough LDS' warning?
chrisisbd   
Fri Dec 11 2020, 12:55pm
By the way why would making the tank overflow "... in the end will ruin your BHI (hydraulic pump unit)."? I can understand it being messy but why should it do any damage?
Tjensen   
Fri Dec 11 2020, 01:38pm
Member No: #954
LDS into the electronics is not good, several reported problems after that. Sometimes the pump unit can be saved by cleaning and drying. And no: no low-level warning, no help to fill correctly. Same as coolant, but here we can look through the expansion chamber and get a clue. How can they do such things !!!
chrisisbd   
Fri Dec 11 2020, 02:27pm
I'm surprised that oil damages electronics, especially low voltage electronics which this is. Where does oil overflowing from the tank go then? Surely under bonnet is hardly a water/dirt free zone anyway.

I guess the issue may be that overflowing LDS washes all sorts of nasty dirt and grot off on the way down and it's that which causes problems with the electrics and electronics.
arconell3   
Fri Dec 11 2020, 10:00pm
Member No: #922
chrisisbd wrote ...

I'm surprised that oil damages electronics, especially low voltage electronics which this is. Where does oil overflowing from the tank go then? Surely under bonnet is hardly a water/dirt free zone anyway.

I guess the issue may be that overflowing LDS washes all sorts of nasty dirt and grot off on the way down and it's that which causes problems with the electrics and electronics.

The BHI consists of a hydraulic pump, some valves and the electronics for controlling the pump, communication with the BSI (central computer) and a number of sensors. What happens is that an LDS spill results in LDS entering into the housing and getting to the brushes of the electric motor driving the pump. The (graphite) brushes simply dissolve, forming a beautiful black sludge... When you're lucky, that goes quickly enough to prevent the power electronics from getting overloaded (just blowing the Maxi-fuse), and a repair job is relatively easy. If not, you're in for a new BHI, an expensive proposition I'm afraid.

Regards, Robert
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club