Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Where are the main battery connections?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
chrisisbd   
Tue Dec 08 2020, 01:30pm
Member No: #2258
Our C6 failed to start this morning, totally dead. It jump started fine from the C5 and seems OK now.

So I'm wondering if we have a battery connection problem rather than a fading battery. We have had a couple of 'almost every warning light coming on' episodes recently which don't seem to have been due to real faults.

So, where are the main battery interconnections and grounding? Obviously the main +12v is simply a cable from the battery connector in the boot to the terminal with the red plastic cover under the bonnet. However I don't know how the 0v connection is made. Is there a cable run from boot to engine or is it via the bodywork? Also where is the main 'onto engine' 0v connection that will carry the starter current? I think it *may* have been disconnected recently (for cambelt replacement, not by me) and might not have got tightened properly.
David Hallworth   
Tue Dec 08 2020, 07:34pm

Member No: #90
The battery is In the boot, on the left hand side. I’d start by checking the terminals are tight on there.

I’d also check the voltage in the morning when you come out as it might not need much help to start if it’s just a bit below where it should be.

Low voltage can cause all sorts of warning lights and if you’ve got a failing cell it can certainly confuse the car so I wouldn’t rule out a failing battery either.

David.
Fraunie   
Wed Dec 09 2020, 10:55am
Member No: #3763
There is indeed running a cable from the battery in the back to the front connections...
chrisisbd   
Fri Dec 11 2020, 12:11pm
Member No: #2258
Yes, I know the battery is in the back!

There then *obviously* has to be a "cable from the battery in the back to the front", I know that too.

However what I wanted to know is how the -ve/0v connection gets from the battery to the front of the car and then to the engine/starter.

You can have a perfect +12v "cable from the battery in the back to the front" but if the 0v connection isn't good as well you still have a problem. I want to know the route that the 0v takes from the battery to the starter so I can check that through.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club