2.7 HDI Radiator repair

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ranger12   
Wed Nov 25 2020, 02:24pm
Member No: #4492
Hello again, new problem ....

So I picked up the car yesterday after a cam belt, water pump, Aux & Diesel belts were replaced, but the garage then mentioned (on my way out the door) that the mechanic had noticed that the top of the radiator had a thin red line of dried coolant along the interface with the plastic header tank.

My question is this:-

Has anyone come across the same issue?

It doesn't look like a corrosion related issue but a pressure related one to me as the aluminium 'clips' that are curled around the foot of the plastic header tank/bar (top of radiator matrix) look ever so slightly bent upwards (equally), suggesting that a previous pressure related event may have caused the top seal to fail.

I am intending to carefully remove the top plastic header, and if there's no corrosion, reseal, then remount it, maybe even epoxy weld it back in place, then bend the tabs carefully back around the seal foot.

If anyone has any experience of this, your advice would be welcome.
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 26 2020, 12:11pm

Member No: #38
Hello Ranger12,

A previous C6 we owned developed the same fault, but I went ahead and changed the radiator complete. If I recollect correctly, the replacement was not expensive.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Ranger12   
Mon Nov 30 2020, 12:22pm
Hi cruiserphil,

thank you for the post, it is good to know that they aren't too expensive, I may have to go that route anyway, but I'll attempt a repair first. Just annoyed that yet another issue 'developed' whilst in this garage's care, there were positively no signs of leaks, no staining, nothing on the radiator before it had the cam belts done, I know because I checked all of that before it went in, and the thin line of pink around the mating interface (plastic to aluminium) is fresh, with no signs of previous leaks or build up of coolant staining.

I'll fix or replace all this myself.

Thanks again though for your supportive post.

Citrofix   
Sat Jan 09 2021, 11:09pm
Member No: #1722
Hello Ranger 12

I have also a leakage problem on top of the radiator, but my headache is that the radiator is just some months old, bought it New in june 2020 I think. The one before I also bought New and had exactly the same problem after about the same time/period. In my case the leakage is coming from the original plastic welded seam around the top cover where the tank outlet is. The first radiator was from NRF (Nederlandse Radiator Fabriek) and second radiator is Nissens (in the car now). The first I claimed for Warranty and I got my Money back, so I decided to not buy NRF again, but Nissens. But that was no Cure, quite frustrating, cause the car is really in mint condition. On my radiator there is coolant spillage where you describe, but take a closer look to see if Your radiator also leaks at the same Place as my two did. Really disappointing that it is not possible to make a radiator for the C6 in 2020 that do the work. Both NRF and Nissens radiators looks completely the same, have been tinking if they both buy it from the same Warehouse and just put their name on the cartoon/Box ?. This is not the first time I Discover bad aftermarket parts, it is not always easy to know what you get…

Regards, Christian R, Norway
Fraunie   
Sun Jan 10 2021, 12:10pm
Member No: #3763
Is it this spot you're talking about?

Citrofix   
Sun Jan 10 2021, 05:08pm
Hi Fraunie

Yes, thats exactly the place
Fraunie   
Sun Jan 10 2021, 05:53pm
Do you think the radiator sold by Citroen is any different? The price is for sure...
C6Marcy   
Thu Jan 14 2021, 08:57pm
Member No: #4417
Fraunie wrote ...

Do you think the radiator sold by Citroen is any different? The price is for sure...

Citroen will not be the manufacturer, I'm wildly guessing it would be a valeo or nissen part
cruiserphil   
Fri Jan 15 2021, 12:55pm

Member No: #38
Fraunie,

C6Marcy is correct. When I replaced a radiator on a 2.7HDi it was Valeo. I think it was in the region of €100 - 120 but not ordered from Citroen!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Fraunie   
Fri Jan 15 2021, 01:48pm
Valeo is interesting. I haver never seen a radiator from Valeo offered on the various websites, only "Nissens" and "NRF"...
Fraunie   
Fri Jan 15 2021, 04:01pm
In addition:

One can order the original radiator from Citroen #1330P7 for about 400€ (if available) or

an "Engine Radiator Exchange" #133364 for 240€ (if available)

Maybe that's the one from Valeo...

Valeo itself doesn't offer them anymore, only cooler for air condition and turbos...

Citrofix   
Sun Jan 17 2021, 12:20pm
Hi

Here in Norway a new "original" costs 9000 nok, about 900 €, just crazy...

I think there is a spanish company that manufacture the "original" ones, called Ordonez, - Click Here -. Have not managed to find them on the aftermarket for the C6. I will now try a new from International Radiators, have heard good things about them, maybe I have luck this time ??

Regards, Christian
321dave   
Tue Jan 19 2021, 12:24pm
Member No: #614
Hi all,
I have currently a leaking new radiator as well. I bought a new NRF but they look identical. Will post the pic later on. So the Nissens is the one in and leaking and the NRF is in the box and new.

Have my previous old Rad that didn’t leak but was had dented Fins still in my attic. Should probably put the old one back again. I kinda knew the new rad Was junk when I was bleeding it in. The plastic plug on top of the rad almost stripped out after one and only use! They are unfortunately rubbish at the moment. I think we need another source to purchase from going forward. Good thread if we find an answer. Be careful I think is the warning buying these cheap rads!!

Ranger12   
Mon Feb 01 2021, 08:14pm
After reading all the posts that have occurred since my last radiator posting, it would appear this IS what is going on with my radiator too. I noticed that it does have coolant staining in exactly the same place as Fraunie's rad.

So it would seem that it was just extraordinarily bad and coincidental timing. I too shall be looking to buy an OEM part for this, preferably keeping Citroen out of the loop.
321dave   
Wed Feb 17 2021, 09:27am
Member No: #614
Ranger12 wrote ...

After reading all the posts that have occurred since my last radiator posting, it would appear this IS what is going on with my radiator too. I noticed that it does have coolant staining in exactly the same place as Fraunie's rad.

So it would seem that it was just extraordinarily bad and coincidental timing. I too shall be looking to buy an OEM part for this, preferably keeping Citroen out of the loop.

Just thought to post about the differences currently available for another C6 part. Another part i came across with varying quality was the lower bumper fog light. I ended up buying 3 different boxes to check after the disappointment of the first light!

I think the pictures speak for themselves. (If only i could post them to site) will try again.
The Valeo part is identical to the Citroen original part. Both say Valeo, so they are the OEM supplier of the original part in the first place. The part made by a company called Mars, never heard of them!! Was rough and had no condensation vent build in and was fogged by storage in a box already!

Parts that fit the C6 do vary in quality, so be careful what you purchase. I would say the Valeo radiator would be the best bet as well.
I have been disappointed by the Nissen recently (a few months old and leaked on me at the top seal, where plastic meets aluminium) and will try the NRF next but will hazard a guess the Valeo is the OEM original part like a lot of other parts on the C6. And better quality at the moment as well.

321dave.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club