C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Is there life after C6?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
jesus1973   
Thu Oct 22 2020, 07:23am
Member No: #1051
Well, I have got an offer for my C6, and my family, mechanic and common sense tell me is time to let go. But it is grief and sadness what I feel, I do the maths and selling makes sense and then I think I will never drive anything as nice, comfortable, as this car. Am I right? is there anything like those Audi a8 they say, or airmatic Mercedes which can compare. I won't go for Bentleys, Alfas, Lancias or anything like that, because is not the originality of the car what I value. I enjoyed the ride to far destinations, and then, with years passing, my 60 mile daily commuting.
I have endured the hose by hose coolant torture, the random or not so random beeps, I have experience lately a couple of electronic things....... and I know this can't become a real classic for me, because maintenance will be too high.
I don't really know why I am writing this, because it is not a technical question, I think I had to unburden myself.
Well, if logic preveals I will come bye to say goodbye. If they just sold it again...
jamescarruthers   
Mon Oct 26 2020, 06:42am
Member No: #1548
I don't think this is much consolation but I sold my C6 and regret it quite often.
In time, I have tried to replace it with another large V6 French oddity: a Renault Avantime. Frankly, I miss the hydropneumatic suspension so much, but at least it has the same engine!
Fraunie   
Mon Oct 26 2020, 09:20am
Member No: #3763
Frankly?
No, I don't think there is an automobile life after a C6.
In my experience there is no other car giving you the same feelings of luxury and smooth ride.
Even a C5 with the same suspension, even in "Exclusive" isn't able to replace it.
I have sold my modern C5 (180 Blue Hdi, great engine) and kept the C6.
Another aspect: You seem to know the car very well, have replaced a lot of parts and know the condition of your C6. You'll get less surprises (probably)
Keep it and drive it as long as it is possible!
One day in the future all C6 will die anyway because there won't be enough new parts anymore....

C6Marcy   
Mon Oct 26 2020, 10:27am
Member No: #4417
I feel all big luxury "barges" are problematic and expensive to maintain

The complexity and rarity makes it this way

I love my C6 and can't see me parting company anytime soon
jesus1973   
Wed Nov 04 2020, 09:02am
Well it happened, one week ago it left. A weekend of pure anguish before that, followed by a strange and unexpected feeling of RELIEF that still prevails. I am driving now my wife's Cayenne S which is just 2 years older than the C6, hard as a board despite the neumatic but, in my experience, much more reliable.

About the problems every car has, well, I don't think what happened with this car is really usual, my mechanic says the c6 is a great car with a bad engine (2.7 Ford), great when it works but with a lot of weak points.

And you know it is not age related problems, I have a 40 year old classic whose coolant system has never been touched. Same with the Cayenne or other cars I owned, but for logical repairs.

Those hoses which crumbled in your fingers and wouldn't stop leaking (those endings should be metal in a car this price)... the 4 or 5 times it left me stranded, the ones in limp mode. I will take a long time to forget, and in spite of that I am waiting with illusion for the new C5/C6 to be released, the one based on the CXperience, electric, no coolant , and hopefully a like heavenly drive.

I got on great with the buyer, so I will continue here helping him when problems arise, as he doesn't speak English. I lately took care of the car, he is totally pampering it in every detail. I am, in this way, also happy.

Thanks again for all your support. You are awesome.
321dave   
Wed Nov 04 2020, 09:15am
Member No: #614
HI Jesus,
I think your correct. A lovely car, well build in many respects, but the coolant circuit is something else! I will go electric/conversion as soon as the practical option arrives in a kit form. And we will have the best of both worlds then.

Kind regards
David
cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 04 2020, 09:46am

Member No: #38
Hello Jesus,

Best of luck with your motoring!

Best regards,

Phil C.
jesus1973   
Thu Nov 05 2020, 02:42pm
321dave wrote ...

HI Jesus,
I think your correct. A lovely car, well build in many respects, but the coolant circuit is something else! I will go electric/conversion as soon as the practical option arrives in a kit form. And we will have the best of both worlds then.

Kind regards
David

jesus1973   
Thu Nov 05 2020, 02:45pm
David, I would LOVE to hear about that conversion when you go for it. I was even considering saving a donor car for such a future possibility.
321dave   
Fri Nov 06 2020, 06:39pm
Member No: #614
jesus1973 wrote ...

David, I would LOVE to hear about that conversion when you go for it. I was even considering saving a donor car for such a future possibility.

Hi Jesus,
companies are starting to reuse Tesla parts in conversions for some classic cars that people want to run as daily transport at the moment, still expensive. I would think a lovely C6 with a bad engine in the future would make a perfect electric car conversion. One issue though would be that a C6 still has a hydraulic steering rack, but the X7 C5 had a electro hydraulic system if I’m correct.

As you were saying the body shell/donor car would be a great start for a future electric conversion project.

The future can be bright!

Kind regards
David
Ranger12   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 06:42pm
Member No: #4492
How interesting,

I was only thinking about this myself this week (particularly after reading the posts about the 2.7 hdi blown engine), and as mine is a high mileage one @ 138k miles, I have decided to start researching what it would take to convert my C6 to electric.

The thing is, I would be aiming to keep the gearbox, and to match the current HP (209 bhp I think) in favour of mileage. I know electric motors have a lot of torque, however I would like to keep the character and feel the C6 currently has, which a full conversion (i.e. no automatic gearbox) would change I think.

I certainly think giving the C6 life after fossil fuels is a worthwhile endeavour, and as long as mine keeps going for long enough, then hopefully I will have enough time to research, and get what I need in advance of any engine failure.

Great topic, glad I'm not the only one thinking about it.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club