C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Changing Spheres or not?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Marcy   
Sat Sep 26 2020, 06:55am
Member No: #4417
After 12yrs is it worth considering changing the spheres?

Do the aftermarket spheres offer any benefits or is the quality vastly inferior to OEM

I suppose it can be done slowly and change one every payday?
cit-rotti   
Sat Sep 26 2020, 08:20am
Member No: #3753
Hello,
Original balls last a very long time.
If your C6 is still springing well, you can wait to switch.
Removed balls can be checked with a ball tester to see what taring pressure is still present.
Original balls can also be refilled because the 3-fold membrane is of high quality.
Replica balls have a cheap membrane and a narrower flow channel - only original balls are really good.
Always change all balls - spring cylinder and hardness regulator.
Greetings Wolfgang
Paulius   
Mon Oct 05 2020, 06:23pm
Member No: #1821
Is it still possible to order OEM spheres new?
321dave   
Tue Oct 06 2020, 07:41am
Member No: #614
Paulius wrote ...

Is it still possible to order OEM spheres new?

Hi Paulius,
I believe they are available from Citroen still but need to be ordered, as i bought a full rear set this time last year, but they are selling the Eurorepar brand ones as well and they are less than half the price of the Citroen original spheres with the logo on them.

Im not sure what the difference is but if i had to guess it must be something probably to do with the membrane on the cheaper branded ones and it relates to the PSA parts supply business of Peugeot.

Anyway, the Citroen logo version of the spheres are around 180 euros each if i remember the quote. Hope that helps.

321dave
C6Marcy   
Wed Nov 11 2020, 03:39pm
The reason why I was looking to change my spheres was the car seems to be able to cope with normal road surfaces but short sharp jolts eg expansion joints or slightly raised drains can be felt as a jolt through the entire car

I have seen videos of the hydropneumatic suspension, when new, tackling cobbled roads and I don't have faith that mine could
arconell3   
Thu Nov 12 2020, 10:32am
Member No: #922
That appears to be a shock absorption issue rather than a suspension issue. Unless your C6 is a 2.2 HDI, the Amvar (variable damping) system (inside the struts) would be responsible for such behavior, not the spheres themselves.

Check and correct ride height first, see if there are any faults listed (Diagbox), check tire pressure and also the tire settings in Diagbox (make sure XL and the correct rim/tire combination are selected).

Regards, Robert
Website
C6Marcy   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 04:27pm
arconell3 wrote ...

That appears to be a shock absorption issue rather than a suspension issue. Unless your C6 is a 2.2 HDI, the Amvar (variable damping) system (inside the struts) would be responsible for such behavior, not the spheres themselves.

Check and correct ride height first, see if there are any faults listed (Diagbox), check tire pressure and also the tire settings in Diagbox (make sure XL and the correct rim/tire combination are selected).

Regards, Robert

I've managed to get Diagbox 7.62 working, slowly getting to grips with it

Only fault in the suspension seems to be U116

The AMVAR seems to be set at 8-9 "steps"

I have included a couple of pictures......wondering if the rear left sensor voltage is an anomaly?

C6Marcy   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 04:48pm
I have had the car on a 4 post ramp today to get some measurements

Front tyre radius 317mm
Front left height measured 133mm (Kxm 184mm??)
Front right height measured 133mm (Kxm 184mm??)

Rear tyre radius 327mm
Rear left measured height 196mm (Kxm 131mm??)
Rear right measured height 198mm (Kxm 129mm??)

Am I right in thinking the car is approximately 20mm too low?

I have included a screenshot of my current suspension settings.....I'm at a complete loss where you program the suspension height on Diagbox

Any help gratefully received
Fraunie   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 05:27pm
Member No: #3763
When I am doing the height programming I set the height for the front at 0160 and the back at 0220.

I am using the same radius (radii?) for the tyres as you have.

The thing is when you are programming the heights via the procedure, you would set 0160 for the front and 0220 for the back. The system then corrects it to 0160 (+- 6) for the front and 0110 (+-6).

Your settings for the back seem to high...

C6Marcy   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 05:36pm
Fraunie wrote ...

When I am doing the height programming I set the height for the front at 0160 and the back at 0220.

I am using the same radius (radii?) for the tyres as you have.

The thing is when you are programming the heights via the procedure, you would set 0160 for the front and 0220 for the back. The system then corrects it to 0160 (+- 6) for the front and 0110 (+-6).

Your settings for the back seem to high...

Are you using Diagbox to adjust suspension heights? If you are just wondering if you could tell me what subfolders it's under
Fraunie   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 05:56pm
Member No: #3763
It is either suspension eco tech or CSS, I always have to search for it anew, sorry...
C6Marcy   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 05:59pm
Fraunie wrote ...

It is either suspension eco tech or CSS, I always have to search for it anew, sorry...

No problem, I can find alot of folders to "read" information but none that seem to be able to "adjust" the numbers........I'm probably in the wrong folder
cruiserphil   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 06:37pm

Member No: #38
Hello C6Marcy,

You're on the ball! It would appear your car is about 20mm too low all around.
I found Lexia a nightmare but with Diagbox, you just put in the measurements and then the heights should correct. Don't need the engine running, just ignition on! As per Fraunie, I can never remember where exactly the height adjustment menu is. After first input, it will ask you to press down respectively on front and rear enough to cause the car to react. Then it will ask you to measure and enter again. Hopefully you'll get a 'programming done' confirmation and all will be well.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hope this helps,

Phil C.
C6Marcy   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 06:58pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello C6Marcy,

You're on the ball! It would appear your car is about 20mm too low all around.
I found Lexia a nightmare but with Diagbox, you just put in the measurements and then the heights should correct. Don't need the engine running, just ignition on! As per Fraunie, I can never remember where exactly the height adjustment menu is. After first input, it will ask you to press down respectively on front and rear enough to cause the car to react. Then it will ask you to measure and enter again. Hopefully you'll get a 'programming done' confirmation and all will be well.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hope this helps,

Phil C.

Many thanks for your input, I feel like I'm slowly getting used to the cars quirks but now need to get a grasp of Diagbox LOL

Does Diagbox calculate the Kxm?

Also if the car is 20mm too low it may make my hard town suspension much better once I figure out how to input the information
c6kev   
Fri Nov 27 2020, 07:23pm
Member No: #1508
C6Marcy wrote ...

Fraunie wrote ...

No problem, I can find alot of folders to "read" information but none that seem to be able to "adjust" the numbers........I'm probably in the wrong folder

I struggled through all of this last week. See thread - Click Here -
particularly the first post and the post by HiPOL from 15/8/17

The menu structure in Diagbox is : DIAGNOSIS -> GLOBAL TEST -> VARIABLE DAMPING -> SPECIFIC AFTER SALES OPERATIONS -> SET HEIGHTS

I was unable to make any correction for left/right roll, but HiPOL's method works to raise/lower the front or back. I found that entering the same measurements for left and right minimised the number of failed operations. If you get an error message, try repeating the procedure a few times - it usually works in the end.

The definition of madness is repeating the same procedure and expecting a different result. For this operation, being insane will be very helpful; the results don't appear to be consistent.

Good luck,

Kevin
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club