2.7 HDI engine oil diluted -> engine break down

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
arconell3   
Thu Oct 22 2020, 09:42am
Member No: #922
czarlz wrote ...

I think this is an interesting discussion and great inputs from all of you. Obviously I will let you know once I know something. I am extremely motivated to understand what precisely went wrong. The reason is simple: that was not the engine's fault, but some auxiliary equipment was responsible for that. It can easily kill another engine and I definitively want to avoid it.

Robert, you mentioned some technical literature available, but I do not see any link? Were you referring to - Click Here -

Actually, I was referring to this page here: - Click Here -.

I understand that you are upset about what happend. A number of years ago, I had a similar experience and as a result I started diving into the literature to find some answers. Anyway, I now have a rather sizable library of documents on engine and combustion technology, lubrication, fuel quality and the effects on combustion and engine longevity, etc.

Regards, Robert
Website
czarlz   
Thu Oct 22 2020, 12:46pm
Member No: #3806
Actually I am not too upset. It may sound weird, but I always wanted to experience something like that. I always only heard about it from other people. And to be honest this is not the ultimate thing which I wanted to experience. The end goal is to see a rod coming out of the engine block. Perhaps I would only like to experience it on some cheaper vehicle.

Another interesting input I got from guys working at Citroen is that above 200000 km the FAP is considered by them as something that should go straight to the bin. They said that when it is close to its lifetime the ECU gets crazy about burning it out. They even said that this can be triggered not only by the in/out pressure difference, but much more frequently. What's more, cleaning it does not help in long term. My car has 250000 km of milage. Perhaps that would explain why there is so much diesel in the oil. On top of that I remember reading out from Lexia that according to the ECU the lifetime left is just approx. 15000 km.

I would love to hear some more on the FAP from people who are proficient in this subject. Do you know anybody here in this group?
Fraunie   
Thu Oct 22 2020, 04:17pm
Member No: #3763
You can see easily (if you have got a "Lexia" or "Diagbox" of course) what the usual distance between regenerations is. And also the (estimated) lifetime for your FAP...
czarlz   
Thu Oct 22 2020, 06:14pm
I do not have access to the car at the moment, but I searched for old (3 months ago) reports I made. Unfortunately they are in a form of plots, but still some info can be visible. This data is already after the injectors replacement.

What is the difference between "Distance remaining until particle filter cleaning or replacement" and "Theoretical distance remaining before particle filter cleaning or replacement"?

Fraunie   
Fri Oct 23 2020, 07:38am
I think the values "distance remaining" is always based on theoretical presumptions.

It has got to do with the amount of EOLYS in your additive-tank.

Whenever you are fueling a certain amount of EOLYS is added to the diesel in the tank and the number of opening the petrol cap is counted. Therefore it is better to always fuel as much as is fitting the tank.

The additive tank itself has got no sensor, therefore it's a pure mathematical calculation, as well as the amount of ashes in the FAP..
czarlz   
Wed Nov 04 2020, 10:29am
Hi,

Quick update after I got some info from the guy who tested the injectors. He said that they are rubbish and the only good things that were in good working order were the coils. He said that the injectors were spraying instead of providing a mist and that it could contribute to the oil dilution, but certainly not to +2 liters over 6000 km.
arconell3   
Thu Nov 05 2020, 07:44am
czarlz wrote ...

Hi,

Quick update after I got some info from the guy who tested the injectors. He said that they are rubbish and the only good things that were in good working order were the coils. He said that the injectors were spraying instead of providing a mist and that it could contribute to the oil dilution, but certainly not to +2 liters over 6000 km.

Very interesting indeed! The (Siemens) injectors in your 2.7 use piezo drivers. There are no coils in them... Unless of course you've got the wrong injectors in your engine...

Regards, Robert
Website
arconell3   
Thu Nov 05 2020, 11:33am
As for spray patterns of injectors (specifically in relation to fuel quality) and the damage caused by faulty injectors, read this: - Click Here -

This is one of the documents available through the technical pages of our website - Click Here -

Regards, Robert

Website
Thu Nov 05 2020, 09:10pm
Member No: #2984
Hi there.
My engine died at 100k kilometers.

Ordered and installing used engine with 91k km millage.

Going to use oil synthetic 20w-50 for summer and 10-15w-50 for winted.

I have read a lot of threads on russian land rover / jaguar / peugeot boards.

Many advices to use this kind of oil and oil pump change every 100k km.

One more important thing! : change factory oil pressure sensor that work on 0.5 bar only to 1 bar sensor!

Because 0.5 bar is too low. It can be very late when you got message about low oil pressure.

Regards
czarlz   
Fri Nov 06 2020, 07:48am
arconell3 wrote ...

Very interesting indeed! The (Siemens) injectors in your 2.7 use piezo drivers. There are no coils in them... Unless of course you've got the wrong injectors in your engine...

Regards, Robert

Yes, of course you are right. These are piezo injectors. People, however, still tend to call the drivers "coils", regardless what they really are.

Slightly different topic
Is anybody here experienced in engine rebuild? Few specific questions I have in my mind:
1) Any preferred manufacturer of main and big end bearings? I see a lot of King available. Any experience with them?
2) Did anybody regrind the crankshaft?
3) Is the original crankshaft nitride coated?
arconell3   
Fri Nov 06 2020, 09:40am
As far as I know the original (OEM) bearings and pistons came from Mahle in Germany. But I would definitely advise against reusing a crankshaft from a seized engine. Besides, you'll need a new set of con rods. When an engine seizes, the forces on the crankshaft and con rods are such that cracks and deformations in these parts are almost inevitable.

Regards, Robert
Website
czarlz   
Fri Nov 06 2020, 10:57am
Sure, this is clear. The old engine is going to the bin, at least a big part of it. Actually I have already bought another car (407) with this engine, which I will use as a donor.

The reason why I ask about the crankshaft repair is because I do not know what I will find in the 407's engine. What if I have to grind it?
Fraunie   
Fri Nov 06 2020, 06:00pm
change factory oil pressure sensor that work on 0.5 bar only to 1 bar sensor!

Do you have a part number for that kind of sensor?

Or which one did you use?
Fri Nov 06 2020, 09:11pm
Member No: #2984
I am currently replacing an engine.

Part number : MN137360, from mitsubishi.

1 bar sensor.

Will be installed through hydraulic short adapter, according to the its thread.

Regards
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club