Steering Wheel Angle Calibration Assist

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
DaveB   
Sat Sep 26 2020, 01:53pm
Member No: #17
Hi all,

I recently borrowed a bit of diagnostic kit to check out a red light on my dash. It said I needed to calibrate my steering wheel angle sensor but the diagnostic didn't give me the option to do so. I'm not convinced the kit I borrowed was 100% but it seemed to read the fault ok. I've had the car for 11 good years but am now looking at parting with it so don't want to invest in my own diagnostic kit.

I have seen a couple of threads relating to this and wondered if there is anyone currently on the forum who could assist. I'm near Coventry and happy to drive to anyone who could assist.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Dave
cruiserphil   
Mon Sep 28 2020, 09:10am

Member No: #38
Hello Dave,

You will need access to Lexia or Diagbox. The calibration is done with the car moving, but the diagnostic directs you through this. I've only done it once on a member's car where the angle sensor was changed.

Have you noticed anything not working? I remember the directional headlamps didn't work until the sensor was calibrated.

Best regards,

Phil C.
DaveB   
Mon Sep 28 2020, 05:41pm
Member No: #17
Hi Phil,

Thanks for coming back to me, after the anxiety of the previous week on this I actually had a stroke of luck today in that I found a guy at work who had a new piece of diagnostic kit that he new how to use and he sorted it in minutes!! I was absolutely stunned but relieved. I held back replying to your email until I’d driven it a couple of times to make sure the dash light stayed out and so far so good…

And – yes the directional headlights showed a problem before calibration but I’ve not tried them out yet since the recalibration.

The light came on when I had got part way through setting the ride heights as they had gone to pot – this I think was caused by a ride height sensor that had seized at some point but then had become able to move when the ‘cable tie’ !! that was holding it on became flexible. When I found this I sorted it but the heights were confused and I’d like to sort it before I sell it.
Any advice on the best route to setting ride heights? – I’ve seen a few threads on the forum.

Kind regards

Dave B
cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 29 2020, 09:07am

Member No: #38
Hello Dave,

That's great news on the sensor. You will need Lexia or Diagbox to set the heights and not get any errors and hard suspension as a result. When I used Lexia it was a nightmare to get it to work. You may have seen my post on it from a few years ago. However, I found that in Diagbox it works as it should with no virtual corrections (fooling the system) to get the desired results.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club