C6 front Strut replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
bdeithrick   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 08:32pm
Member No: #70
Hi guys
i was told of a damp strut when getting my wishbones fitted. The NCT (mot) guys also informed me of a drip of fluid on the NSf near side front strut. after seeing spots around the drive and my steering pump making a roar in the morning , i bought 1 litre of LDS in Citroen's €15.
I took advice and lowered the suspension and opened the cap, to fill. The reservoir took the whole litre,

So after getting time on a ramp and my mate Damo to investigate the problem the leak was coming from behind the rubber boot from the shaft.

Gowans Merrion road, wanted over €520 for the new strut. i got Charles Hurst Belfast to send it to my door for €365. happy days thank you U.K

I got it fitted and all when smoothly the system took 1.5 litres to top it back up after fitting.
it have 92000kms on the cars. (57500 miles)
must be bad Dublin roads and worse Bus Lanes

Any one replaced struts yet?

C6Dave   
Thu Apr 07 2011, 06:16am

Member No: #1
I'm sure someone had one changed under warranty because of a leak.
Website
Trainman   
Thu Apr 07 2011, 01:00pm

Member No: #86
C6Dave wrote ...

I'm sure someone had one changed under warranty because of a leak.

T'was I. The N/S/F was replaced, in fact, if memory serves me right there have been a couple of us with this issue.
C6Nikos   
Sat Apr 09 2011, 08:32am
Member No: #132
Me too.
Rich   
Sat Aug 06 2011, 11:02am
Member No: #542
This has just happened to me, after two weeks of ownership. Citroen still haven't approved the work under warranty yet but I will keep hassling them until they do.
Trainman   
Sat Aug 06 2011, 12:07pm

the_unrepentant wrote ...

This has just happened to me, after two weeks of ownership. Citroen still haven't approved the work under warranty yet but I will keep hassling them until they do.

You could well find this is because the warranty hasn't been forwarded to Citroen, I had this issue with with my purchasing dealer 2 years ago. I think I still have the paperwork surrounding this, I'll drop you a PM if I can find it.

Quentin   
Sat Aug 06 2011, 07:49pm
Member No: #141
Hi there

The front suspension is easily the weakest part of my C6. I've done 67,000 miles so far, and have so far replaced both front balljoints (one under extended warranty and one just out of warranty with part free on a goodwill basis), both front suspension legs (one part on goodwill as it was at the same time as the second balljoint) and one track-rod end.

The balljoint problems were said by the then-service foreman to be due to the component being "[%*^#@!]". I suspect the design - which has a dip in its centre - allows water to pool when cars stand for long periods, as I think mine probably did, leading to corrosion.

Otherwise I still think my car's lovely and I still enjoy wafting about in it. It also still looks better than anything else out there.

Forums like this and Malcolm Bobbitt's C6 column in the Citroenian tend to be all about problems, and we can't pretend there aren't any; but we can still rejoice in the C6's uniqueness, comfort and style.

Quentin
Rich   
Sat Aug 06 2011, 10:33pm
Thanks Steve and Quentin, both very useful replies that will help me when i talk with Citroen on Monday. Im at 58,000 miles so it sounds similar to Quentin's problem.
Trainman   
Sun Aug 07 2011, 08:01am

Quentin wrote ...

Otherwise I still think my car's lovely and I still enjoy wafting about in it. It also still looks better than anything else out there.

Forums like this and Malcolm Bobbitt's C6 column in the Citroenian tend to be all about problems, and we can't pretend there aren't any; but we can still rejoice in the C6's uniqueness, comfort and style.

Quentin

I couldn't agree more.
Rich   
Wed Aug 10 2011, 02:27pm
Good news! Citroen in Christchurch just called and confirmed the the warranty company had assessed the vehicle and just approved the work to go ahead! Thats a huge relief as it was well over £1000 of work and parts. Be interested to know how it will drive after this and the suspension software update. Will have it back by Friday evening. Maybe I can start to finally enjoy this car for over a period of 5 days at a time!
Rich   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 08:39pm
Just posted on the suspension update sticky, but just to comment here as well, got the car back back after the suspension update and having the struts and hubs replaced. What an amazing difference. I am willing to bet the problem with the suspension pre-update is the cause for the struts to go. Its so smooth now, i can't imagine there being a problem again. Feels like a different car.
michaelb   
Mon Sep 05 2011, 12:15pm
Member No: #14
bdeithrick wrote ...

must be bad Dublin roads and worse Bus Lanes

Any one replaced struts yet?

Add me to the list. My six just failed it's MoT today on a leaking NSF strut. I'm phoning around now to figure out where to have it done.

It could be the Dublin bus lanes which did it

Citroën City have quoted me GBP £279 for the part - has anyone found cheaper?
Trainman   
Mon Sep 05 2011, 03:46pm

Michael,

That seems about right! I recall asking my local dealer when they replaced mine and he said about £500 including labour (but Citroen were paying so I wasn't bothered)
MattHwk   
Mon Sep 05 2011, 08:34pm
Member No: #246
Nothing to do with Suspension update. This is a wear and tear fault. Two causes......Sleeping policemen and huge torque from the V6 lump. Probably a 3rd.......rubbish design! My experience says no OEM parts available, but I may be wrong. Best, Matt
travlician   
Sat Dec 17 2011, 02:28am
Member No: #350
Got a leaking front strut (righthand side). I notice the dust cover is all the way up and stuck. On the left side the dust cover can be moved by hand and is not all the way down to the "cup" in which it's seated when in lower positions. I guess this is the cause of the problems, the piston being exposed and this in short time could lead to leaking. (I'll post some picks one of these days as I start some work on it).

Now my dilemma is what to do, since it's not so easy to get parts here. I'm considering 3 options:

1. Buying a new one (together with the other parts I need for maintenance)

2. Try to get a salvage part

3. Try the CX trick: disassemble the suspension cylinder, clean is very well and polish the piston if needed and turn the PFTE seal ring over (if the C6 version has one), if it fails can always go for option 1 or 2 but will lose time getting the part.

Another issue is that according to the description on how to replace the suspension cylinder, the wheel hub has to come loose. I don't see any reason however as I don't see how that would give any more room to take the cylinder out or in.

Any thoughts on this?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club