C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Parking brake - dashboard lamp flashing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Tue Sep 15 2020, 03:27pm
Member No: #2185
Over the few years of my C6 ownership, I've had the common problem with ABS sensors failing and needing to be replaced. When this happens, the dashboard is lit up with warnings & lamps: ABS > ESP/ASR > Parking Brake.

Nevertheless, the car can normally be driven and parked OK until the sensor is fixed.

This time round, when I want to park, I sometimes find that the dashboard parking brake lamp is flashing and the brake will not apply. Only by turning the ignition on/off can the brake be applied.

I can't find any reference to what, exactly, a flashing parking brake lamp signifies. Anyone know?
arconell3   
Thu Sep 17 2020, 10:05am
Member No: #922
Hi,
Check your brake fluid level. It probably needs topping up. If it has been in there for more than 3 years, refresh it altogether.

Regards, Robert
Website
c6kev   
Thu Sep 17 2020, 05:19pm
Member No: #1508
I had a similar issue at the start of the year. Replacing the front right ABS sensor cured the intermittent handbrake and ABS warnings.

I seem to remember reading elsewhere on this forum that different speed sensitive systems take their information from different ABS sensors. Hence, the handbrake is not always disabled by an ABS fault. I seem to remember that my cruise control continued working with this sensor failure, but has been disabled when one of the rear sensors failed (I don't remember which one).

It took three attempts to get the right part for the front sensor. Insist on a Delphi part, many of the alternatives listed have the wrong electrical connector. Use the Delphi web site to identify the right part for your car (3 different numbers for the C6).

Good luck,

Kevin
FraserG   
Thu Sep 17 2020, 09:55pm
Member No: #2011
Yes, my handbrake/ABS warning has been showing for a long time but the handbrake works perfectly. Not sure about the ABS? I will get my mechanic to try in clear it at my next due service in a few months.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club