C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Speed limiter switches itself off or jumps to 18 mph

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Fri Aug 28 2020, 01:24pm
Member No: #2185
I use the speed limiter a lot and love its functionality. Apart from the common problem of the buttons not working at all (needs steering column jiggled in/out - see multiple other threads) my 2.2 seems to be developing a new aberration.

Back in the dark of winter, I was cruising along a stretch of road at 40mph with the limiter on. All of a sudden the car lost power and thankfully I managed to find a layby to roll into. After a bit of ignition on/off, I got the car started and it was OK. But I have the memory of the speed limiter display showing '18mph' at some point in this process.

A couple of days back something similar happened. I was on speed limiter at 30 mph when the display suddenly went to '---'. When I repeatedly toggled the control back through speedLimiter/cruiseControl, the speed limiter display would show firstly '18mph' and then after a second go to '---'.

A warm reboot (ignition off/on) dispelled the problem. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this exquisite little inconvenience?
Hattershaun   
Fri Aug 28 2020, 02:23pm
Member No: #320
I encountered this on a C6 2.2 auto.
There are several faults recognised by the engine ECU that de-activate the cruise control & speed limiter & stop them working (plus other things, like stopping a DPF regen).

The fault turned out to be a faulty turbo solenoid control valve, relatively inexpensive to fix.
Suggest you start with a diagnostic session to see if any fault codes are stored.

sotweedfactor   
Sat Jan 29 2022, 06:23pm
This fault has re-occurred from time to time. Over the past few months it got worse and the engine has sometimes died entirely. (Inconvenient, when cruising at 70mph along the M3!). A series of DiagBox sessions kinda indicated that this may be associated with the fault 'P0336 Engine speed signal'. A couple of weeks back, I replaced the crankshaft speed sensor (n.b. this is a 2.2HDi and the OEM part no is 1920.EH; the Bosch part number is 0986280419). I have since had no recurrence of the problem. If I do, further posts will follow!...
kitch   
Fri Mar 04 2022, 06:39pm
Member No: #4485
Mine defaulted to 18mph last night, immediately after showing a 'gearbox fault' message (I know what that fault is).
Maybe it's something triggered by going into limp mode?
sotweedfactor   
Mon Mar 07 2022, 01:34pm
Hi Kitch. What was the 'gearbox fault' message, exactly? And what was the nature of the fault? Is yours a 2.2 manual? Note that 18mph = 30kph - a nice, round, default fallback sort of number. Thanks, Eric
kitch   
Mon Mar 07 2022, 04:35pm
Member No: #4485
sotweedfactor wrote ...

Hi Kitch. What was the 'gearbox fault' message, exactly? And what was the nature of the fault? Is yours a 2.2 manual? Note that 18mph = 30kph - a nice, round, default fallback sort of number. Thanks, Eric

The valve block is knackered (2.7 Exclusive) and when the fluid gets hot it gets a bit of a shitty on between 2nd and 3rd (eventually it just gets jammed in 3rd). Got so bad it tripped the EML (hence the warning message) and went into limp mode.

Now I think about it, you're right - it's obviously defaulting to 30km/h.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club