Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 HDI noise when cold

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
czarlz   
Sat Aug 22 2020, 09:02pm
Member No: #3806
Hi,

I am trying to figure out what is causing some noise from the timing belt area, especially in the range of 1500-2000 RPM, when the engine is cold. After about 2 minutes of driving the noise would go away. You can probably hear it in the video below.

- Click Here -

Now, I have already checked (and replaced) the timing belt, with all the stuff. That made no difference. I also check that this is not the auxiliary belt because the noise stays there with the belt off. The oil pump is also new. The last suspicious thing (in my opinion) are the timing chains. I think the tensioners might be weak now since I need to wait quite some time for the knocking sound to go away after start up (another video below).

- Click Here -

How big is the effort in order to get to those chains? Any other idea? Many thanks for help.
C6Marcy   
Sun Aug 23 2020, 07:04am
Member No: #4417
In my opinion that's 100% weak timing chain tensioner

czarlz   
Mon Aug 31 2020, 10:51am
C6Marcy wrote ...

In my opinion that's 100% weak timing chain tensioner

Thanks for your replay. I also think so. Would you have any experience with replacing them? Is it doable with the engine in a car?
Paulius   
Mon Oct 05 2020, 08:38pm
Member No: #1821
Side question: did you notice any change in sound right after starting it up after changing the oil pump and why did end up replacing it at all?
czarlz   
Tue Oct 06 2020, 09:15am
That would be great to know, but unfortunately when I bought the car, I immediately gave if a big service, including the oil pump replacement. Would you suspect the oil pump?

Now, to give you some update, I have replaced those timing chains. That were 2 days of work for my mechanic! Now there is no clattering sound at all after startup, but the noise is still there.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club