C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Rattle from rear door; door stays

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Sat Aug 15 2020, 09:17am
Member No: #2185
This is a follow up to an earlier thread I started, 'Rear seat (not lounge pack) removal'.

I had an annoying rattle coming from somewhere behind me and I suspected the framework of the rear seats. In the end that was not where the problem lay.

I also had the common curse of the rear door stay having failed. These are positioned within the doors in such a way that rainwater pools upon them, eventually rusting out the springs and the components that retain the springs. A rusty colour on the visible plastic part of the door stay is diagnostic.

I repaired the stay following various other threads, here, which document the procedure pretty well. As I took out the failed stay, I noticed that its top plate, which retains the top [rusted] spring was missing.

It had fallen off and and was lying in the narrow channel at the bottom of the door. A bit difficult to extract but after acquiring a borescope and a long, thin, magnetic screwdriver, I managed with some patience to fish it out.

The rattle has gone now so I think this was the source. Normally not noticed until driving at about 25 mph over a rough road surface - just right to make this bit of metal (about the size of a 10p coin) jump around inside the metalwork of the door.

Moral of story & advice: if your door stays are on the way out, fix them before they disintegrate and cause further misery!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club