C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Leaking LDS fluid from the cap

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Marcy   
Thu Jul 30 2020, 05:54pm
Member No: #4417
My recently acquired 2008 2.7 HDI just leaked a considerable amount of fluid from the cap of the reservoir outside my local chippy. I appreciate a little bit of spilt oil goes a long way and can appear more than it actually is/was

It seems to have "vented" itself

C6Marcy   
Thu Jul 30 2020, 05:56pm
I have lowered the suspension fully and this is now the level of LDS. Could it be because it's a hot day or something more sinister?

cit-rotti   
Thu Jul 30 2020, 07:21pm
Member No: #3753
Hello,
Lowering completely is only possible with the diagnostic device (DIAGBOX / LEXIA). Alternatively, the remaining pressure at the hardness controls can be released.
If the C6 is only at the lowest height setting, no hydraulic fluid should actually be visible in the tank.
If the pressure is not released with the diagnostic tool, but via the hardness regulator, the hydraulic fluid does not flow back to the tank (it should be), but exits via the bleed screw of the hardness regulator (should not be reused).
If hydraulic fluid escapes through the filler plug, the level is too high. This is also very bad because the oil runs into the motor of the hydraulic pump and damages it.
The diagnostic device is indispensable for setting the correct hydraulic oil level and also for venting the system.
The work steps can be found in the technical documentation for the suspension - available in this forum.
Greetings Wolfgang
C6Marcy   
Thu Jul 30 2020, 07:26pm
I do have a Lexia, kindly supplied by the previous owner but I need to get used to using it

Lowering the suspension height fully does make the fluid level disappear below the mesh........after she vented. I never checked fluid height upon purchase of the car 10 days ago
C6Marcy   
Fri Jul 31 2020, 12:13pm
Couldn't get the Lexia working, my laptop is ancient........will persevere over the weekend

In the meantime I set the suspension height to its lowest and removed fluid down to the mesh

arconell3   
Wed Aug 05 2020, 11:07am
Member No: #922
Hi Marcy,
Wolfgang is absolutely right in that LDS spills, almost invariably caused by an overfilled reservoir, can cause your hydraulic pump unit to fail. The only way to correct the LDS level is by depresssuring the hydraulic system which really should only be done using Diagbox/Lexia. However, and this is where you"ll find yourself between a rock and a hard place, by doing so in your situation, you will find that the excess LDS, still present in the system, will exit at the top of the reservoir with a vengeance, the moment the hydraulic system is depressurized using Diagbox...
The only way to avoid such a spill is to use an additional (makeshift) reservoir with a closing valve at the bottom that fits on the top of the existing one, thus catching the excess LDS without spilling it.

Regards and good luck!
Robert
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club