Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
321dave   
Tue Jun 16 2020, 07:42am
Member No: #614
cruiserphil wrote ...

Great thread lads,

Following it with interest. However, 321Dave, I must say you're helping me to focus on all the positives in an RT3 system

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hi Phil, I know exactly what you mean. Some of the wiring is a bit harder to work out than I Initially thought.
The Phibu adaptor loom isn’t as easy as i first thought to fit. But I’m coming at this with very little experience in this area so if I can get it finished!

I’d be almost lost though without the forum member ekes help to be honest. The pin issue with the video I’m starting to think is actually now the old RT3 video connecter for the old screen and Pin 5 and 11 are adapted from here to the top to the new loom behind the headunit. So I’m kinda sorted now.

cruiserphil   
Tue Jun 16 2020, 08:55am

Member No: #38
Hello 321Dave,

The help from eke is typical of what the forum is all about. Looks like you're on the road to completion. Well done. The thread will be a great reference. Perhaps consider when you're finished to put together a complete tutorial?

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 11:12am
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello 321Dave,

The help from eke is typical of what the forum is all about. Looks like you're on the road to completion. Well done. The thread will be a great reference. Perhaps consider when you're finished to put together a complete tutorial?

Best regards,

Phil C.

Sure, I was thinking the same and taking photos of everything I do in case I forget where stuff goes back in later on, it's been a slow enough process in drips and drabs so far. But should go back together in an evening if wiring is setup.
321dave   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 10:16pm
I’m happy to have sorted the Phibu wiring loom video problem now.

I didn’t have a clear understanding of where the Pin 5 and Pin 11 cables we’re coming from and it was in fact the old screen connector plug. Then the plug itself can separate into two parts.

Best seen in the photo below.

RT3 screen connector. Part with actual pins 5 and 11 slides out and these wires are put into the new Phibu cable loom!!

321dave   
Tue Jun 23 2020, 09:37am
Just wondering as I’m scratching my head trying to find the aerial splitter box, which is apparently under the C6 dash? Anyone know where it is positioned on a RHD C6?

Jas16   
Tue Jun 23 2020, 12:32pm
Member No: #2994
Hi Dave, I have read that maybe under/around the steering column, though not checked myself. Is it possible to trace back from the aerial line that goes into the back of the radio?
321dave   
Tue Jun 23 2020, 12:46pm
Hi Jas,
I had a look under the knee airbag but I’m still at a loss to see it! It’s might be hiding behind something else and I haven’t been able to see it. Or maybe I’m lookin in the wrong place?

Once I solve this issue I’m all finished in terms of wiring and where it needs to go. I’m hoping for a breakthrough this week. I will PDF the process for the forum after I finish up.

That’s also what I though. I’m amazed I can not locate it. I have taken the knee airbag under the steering wheel out Yesterday and I can not see anything.
MGmike   
Tue Jun 23 2020, 06:36pm
Member No: #3151
Dave,
if its the box I think it is, it's tucked up under the dash mounted on the bulkhead/wheel arch to the right of the steering column. think directly forward of the little coin draw...
321dave   
Wed Jun 24 2020, 11:08am
MGmike wrote ...

Dave,
if its the box I think it is, it's tucked up under the dash mounted on the bulkhead/wheel arch to the right of the steering column. think directly forward of the little coin draw...

Thanks Mike, I was thinking that as well. I think the ribbed black box I can see your referring to is the JBL amplifiers box. I believe there’s a box or two under that one for the front airbag system as well.

I am wondering where eke connected the aerial cables. But, I’m going to remove the amp and check the boxes this evening.

..I’m sure its probably behind the amplifier box otherwise I don’t have one!

eke   
Thu Jun 25 2020, 06:22am
Member No: #624
Hi 321dave,
Is it not possible to trace back the aerial cable, which goes to back of RT3? The splitter box is at the other end of that cable.

Br eke
321dave   
Thu Jun 25 2020, 11:09am
eke wrote ...

Hi 321dave,
Is it not possible to trace back the aerial cable, which goes to back of RT3? The splitter box is at the other end of that cable.

Br eke

Hi eke, I ran out of time lately but ill get back at it very soon.

This is the last piece in the jigsaw for me anyway.
Its strange!

I was sure I’d find the cables but i couldn’t to my surprise. In my case they seem to disappear in a trunking tube and its not clear but possibly head back over the other side towards my glove box or in your case the steering wheels area. Pity the diagrams for the wiring appear vague in showing actual locations of these things in the vehicle.

I will find it eventually ..
Jas16   
Mon Jul 27 2020, 03:54pm
Hi Dave, just interested to see how far you have got. Re-reading your notes have been very helpful. I had ordered the phibu adaptor as well. And all has been going good, apart from final three issues I have;

1. I believe the amplifier box for the 2 FM connectors is by the accelerator pedal, once the bottom fabric cover is removed, if you look up from behind the storage cubby that drops down, I think that is both JBL amplifier and the module box. Though how to route the cables that far I don't know as the ones supplied by Phibu don't seem long enough

2. With all the wiring behind the RT4 screen, I am finding it very hard to place the radio unit back and screwed in without using force

3. I believe that once the new unit is installed, the unit has to first be VIN coded to your vehicle. But I cannot get any sound from the speakers, which Phibu mentioned is an "activation" exercise, but I am struggling at the moment. Unless I need to connect the two FM fakra cables first

Hope this helps

Jas
321dave   
Tue Jul 28 2020, 04:27pm
Jas16 wrote ...

Hi Dave, just interested to see how far you have got. Re-reading your notes have been very helpful. I had ordered the phibu adaptor as well. And all has been going good, apart from final three issues I have;

1. I believe the amplifier box for the 2 FM connectors is by the accelerator pedal, once the bottom fabric cover is removed, if you look up from behind the storage cubby that drops down, I think that is both JBL amplifier and the module box. Though how to route the cables that far I don't know as the ones supplied by Phibu don't seem long enough

2. With all the wiring behind the RT4 screen, I am finding it very hard to place the radio unit back and screwed in without using force

3. I believe that once the new unit is installed, the unit has to first be VIN coded to your vehicle. But I cannot get any sound from the speakers, which Phibu mentioned is an "activation" exercise, but I am struggling at the moment. Unless I need to connect the two FM fakra cables first

Hope this helps

Jas

Hi Jas,
I had to stop at the aerial connection part, as I ran out of time at that point. But you are correct as those short cables are not long enought to connect all the way up behind the dash. I have the Peugeot donner cables to connect here which are much longer and also colour coded.

Regarding the reprogramming I was aware of the vin details were needs to setup thesystem with the car. When I get it sorted soon hopefully that should work ok. I’ll let you know if I run into any issues as well. Maybe eke had some issues with setting the vin or maybe all went well in that installation?
eke   
Wed Jul 29 2020, 10:29am
Member No: #624
Hello,

I used those Phibu extension cables marked with red circle, are you saying that those are too short ?

I did all the configurations with Mirascripts except the Vin code, for that I had to use Diagbox, Mirascripts did not work for that, although the option was present.

Br eke
Jas16   
Wed Jul 29 2020, 12:29pm
Hi Eke

Would you be able to share the mirascripts that were used please?

A member on facebook responded and I tried his method so I ran a wire which worked but I couldnt control the volume.

In terms of the two Phibu supplied fm cables. I have these as well and assumed too short because of the routing distance from the back of the head unit, behind the steering column and then down to around the accelerator pedal. Plus I am struggling to remove the trim around this area. Maybe an issue due to rhd and lhd cars.

Thanks again

Edited: just finished now. I will add the response from facebook member. His suggestion worked and now I have working sound in the car...finally.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club