C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Rear seat (not lounge pack) removal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 01:04pm
Member No: #2185
I have a really annoying rattle, heard when travelling at about 25mph over fairly bumpy surfaces. It sounds as though it's coming from somewhere pretty immediately behind me (either in rear seats or inside one of the doors, I guess). As part of a campaign of elimination, I'm wondering how to remove the rear seats - anyone have any tips? My car is a Lignage with just regular fold-up/down seats and backrests. With thanks, Eric
C6Dave   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 05:23pm

Member No: #1
Unlikely to be the seats Eric. Is it a 'sharp' metallic rattle or a deeper sound?

Website
Eric   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 08:22pm
Member No: #425
Hello Eric, From one Eric to another I think it might be your rear speaker. Mine is doing the same but not found the time to take the door apart to look at it. Good luck, Eric.
sotweedfactor   
Thu Jun 18 2020, 01:38pm
It is a sharp metallic sound. With the seat squab hinged up, you can produce a very similar sound by jiggling around some of the metal-rod underframework. BUT I've tried damping all of these (with bunjies etc) and driving around with the seats up and I still get the rattle.

I'll investigate inside the door: I have to get in there anyway as the door-stay is dysfunctional and needs fettling.
sotweedfactor   
Sun Jul 12 2020, 09:06am
To answer my own question about removing the seat squabs: this is easy. 1) fold the seat squab up. 2) locate the flat plastic clamp on the hinging part of the seat base. 3) prise it up and off the metal rod on the side nearest the centre of the car. 4) the seat squab can now be pulled out, towards the door.
adamw57   
Mon Jul 03 2023, 02:28pm
Member No: #5259
How involved is it to remove the rear seats on the lounge pack? I too have a rattle that appears to be something to do with the rear seats. I’ve had it since I bought the car but it did stop after I set the rear seats to upright although not immediately. Having cleaned the car this weekend I reclined one of the rear seats a little and the rattle returned after about 10 miles. I’ve since returned the seat to its upright position and the rattle is still audible.
MGmike   
Mon Jul 03 2023, 06:53pm
Member No: #3151
It's a bit of a faff but not too hard. Get the instructions in the tech section.

The hardest part is moving the seats horizontally towards the middle to unhook the locating peg. A good kick from the outside works but it gets the seat a bit grubby.
jamescarruthers   
Mon Jul 03 2023, 07:40pm
Member No: #1548
Just to echo Mike, it's not too bad a job compared to what I was expecting.
adamw57   
Tue Jul 04 2023, 09:29am
Thanks gents for the quick and helpful replies. I’ll check out the tutorials then, I didn’t realise there was so much information available here. I’ve also discovered that my C6 used to belong to someone one here!
cruiserphil   
Tue Jul 04 2023, 11:26am

Member No: #38
Hello Adamw57,

Did you check for the possibility of the detached handbrake cable support bracket underneath the car in that area as a source of rattle?? As per the other comments, removing the lounge pack seats is not that big a deal!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
adamw57   
Wed Jul 05 2023, 09:48am
Hi Phil, I Didnt in the end as the rattle stopped but I will have to take a look when I get a moment. I presume there’s a tutorial on the forum somewhere for it? It was only in the garage a few weeks back but typically it was on its best behaviour that day ????
cruiserphil   
Thu Jul 06 2023, 09:33am

Hello Adamw57,

Not sure if there's a tutorial but I'll get a photo of the bracket tomorrow as I'm servicing one of the C6's and a check over for its upcoming NCT (MOT).

Best regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Thu Jul 06 2023, 09:44am

Hello Adamw57,

I posted about it on the fb site - Click Here -

Best regards,

Phil C.
adamw57   
Mon Jul 10 2023, 11:27am
Thanks Phil, I really appreciate that. I wasn’t aware there was a C6 Facebook page, I’ll check it out.
adamw57   
Sun Sep 03 2023, 06:22pm
Finally managed to get the C6 on a ramp and sure enough the handbrake cable support bracket had broken off. I was so sure that is was something inside the car as well, but having re secured the bracket the rattle has completely gone. So thanks Phil for your excellent advice. Having fixed one rattle I’m now aware of a couple of door cards rattling, which on closer inspection appear to be loose, so that’s my next job.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club