New member need BSI help!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Mehtdosa11   
Wed May 13 2020, 03:01pm
Member No: #4342
Hello Everyone,
I’ve just joined the group as I’m trying to help my 87yr old father with his Citroen C6. The registration of the car is GF08 JSU. It is 2.7 Diesel, automatic, silver with black leather interior and has done 38,000 (ish) miles only since new. I believe he is only the second owner. They are lovely cars to drive and we love the Citroen quirkiness. He, and then I had a Citroen BX for years, I also used to drive a C15 van when I was a self employed courier for a while.

Anyway the reason for my post is that I currently have the car in a garage near me over in South Bucks. I drove the car over from his home in Essex, as after a long series of problems which culminated in a new starter, alternator and two new batteries, when he got the car back from an AA recommended garage he discovered that the central locking system no longer works. The driver door opens with the key manually But none of the other doors will open. (The boot and mirrors work and you can hear the locks or something trying to work!)

This latest garage, which I trust and have personally used for over 15 years (since my Citroen days), have looked at it and deduced that the BSI is faulty and either needs changing or repairing. Apparently you cannot buy these from Citroen anymore as they are no longer manufactured. They are trying to find a company that might be able to repair/refurbish these BSI units, and I am trying to find out from the Forum here if any of you might know of anywhere/anybody who can help with either replacement or repair.

Many thanks in advance, hopefully fingers crossed!
C6Dave   
Wed May 13 2020, 05:52pm

Member No: #1
1. Do any of the garages you have used have access to Lexia or Digabox which is needed to investigate the BSI and do any resetting required.

Snapon and Generic systems will only go so far.

2. Has the correct size battery been fitted, often one that has to small a capacity results in errors on board.

3. Have you tried a battery disconnect to force a BSI reset?

There is a process to follow to do this properly - Click Here -
Website
Mehtdosa11   
Wed May 13 2020, 06:25pm
Hi Dave, Many thanks for your quick reply.

I will ask the garage tomorrow regarding the Lexia/Diagbox.
We have fitted the correct size battery.
The guy who is looking at the car, who owns the garage, used to work for Peugeot. I spoke to his wife today (who also works there on reception) and she said that he had followed a procedure to try to reset the BSI. I will check if it’s the same one as this.

Once again thank you.
MGmike   
Wed May 13 2020, 06:28pm
Member No: #3151
If you've already moved it to South Bucks I would move it again to just out of North Bucks to B.L Autos in Milton Keynes.

Your garage might be right in their diagnosis but as the repair is likely to be a bit expensive, I would be getting a second opinion from the experts. They'll probably also know if there are any repair centres in the UK.

Mehtdosa11   
Thu May 14 2020, 07:58am
Thanks Mike, I’ve spoken to my garage today and they do not use Lexia/Diagbox, they use Autologic (i think).
We are going to speak to BL to see if they can help.
Thanks for the info.
Regards
C6Dave   
Fri May 15 2020, 06:51am

Just had another thought before you go to another garage.

Start the car and with engine running, on the head unit press 'menu' (A)

(The engine on is needed in case the car is/goes into 'economy mode' as that cuts some services)

Rotate the dial (C) to 'Vehicle Configuration' and press enter (the round knob (C) again)

Rotate (C) to 'Vehicle Access' and press enter (C)

Now you should be able to select 'All Doors' instead of Drivers Door only press (C) to select

Once done select (D) escape

If that doesn't make any difference, then it's going to need further investigation via Lexia/Diagbox

Website
Mehtdosa11   
Fri May 15 2020, 09:05am
Thanks for the info, I seem to remember going through the menu and seeing this door option. I think it said all doors were selected but I will try and do it with the engine running this time.

I spoke at length to the mechanic yesterday and. He says there is a ‘15 way plug’ (or something like that) which goes into the BSI board for the locking. There is power going in to lock the doors but no feed showing coming out to unlock them..hence he thinks there maybe a micro relay faulty. He is going to speak to BL Autos to see if they have the equipment to do this BSI or know someone.

One thing I wanted to ask, I have seen this Lexia/diagbox for sale on eBay and Amazon. It doesn’t seem overly expensive, but what exactly would I need to buy? I’m thinking it might be worth buying it and giving it to the garage to try and fix it. What do you think?
Regards
C6Dave   
Fri May 15 2020, 10:16am

Mehtdosa11 wrote ...

One thing I wanted to ask, I have seen this Lexia/diagbox for sale on eBay and Amazon. It doesn’t seem overly expensive, but what exactly would I need to buy? I’m thinking it might be worth buying it and giving it to the garage to try and fix it. What do you think?
Regards

Hmm, you need the interface cables and a laptop preferably running Windows XP to install and run it.

Diagbox will run in Windows 10 in 32 bit mode, but it takes a while (hours) to install the software.

Then you need to figure out how to use it.

For what your after I would let Rob at BL take a look at the car.

One last thought, does the drivers door open with the remote or only by the key in the lock?

Website
Mehtdosa11   
Fri May 15 2020, 10:38am
Only by the key in the lock can you open the driver door.
Tjensen   
Fri May 15 2020, 12:00pm
Member No: #954
Is the alarm starting when you put the key in? (and stops when the key is in the ignition) If so, it might just be the key (battery fail or water in the key). If the battery has been changed in the key there is a reprogramming procedure in the handbook.

Just a thought from my "try everything that is cheap and simple first" principle.

And I had the experience after a kayak experience with the key in my pocket. The "immobilizer" part of the key is quite robust, but the part that handles the locks are more vulnerable.

Admin Edit: added image from handbook
Mehtdosa11   
Sat May 16 2020, 07:10am
Thanks Tjensen, we did actually put a new battery in the key originally as we thought that maybe the problem. But we didn’t reprogram it to my knowledge.

Another thing to check out!
Tjensen   
Sat May 16 2020, 11:10am
Member No: #954
The reprogramming is necessary and is quite simple and quick. Thanks to our Admin for adding the picture !!!!
Mehtdosa11   
Sat May 23 2020, 11:21am
Hi everyone, just a quick thank you for all the suggestions from you all. Latest update is I finally have the car back from my garage and will be taking it to BL Autos next week. I spoke to Barry there and he was very helpful and informative, seems they certainly know about C6’s!

I have added the car GF08JSU to the register. It seems it was built in Sept 2006 (ORGA) first registered in March 2008 and my father bought it in November 2011. It was an ex demonstrator model I believe for the Citroen Dealer/Garage he bought it from. Mileage is 30700 not 38000 as I originally thought.

It is the Lignage version. No SatNav or Lounge Pack. Once we get it back we will have to sit down with our father and discuss if he wants to keep it or sell it. As he is 87 now even if he keeps it hopefully (for us) it won’t be for too long anyway!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club