Advice on potential purchase.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
AndrewC6   
Sun May 03 2020, 09:06am
Member No: #4332
Good Morning All.
I am new to the site but have spent many an hour reading through the numerous articles on the site. I have finally taken the plunge and left a deposit on a vehicle that is on eBay at the moment ( sorry not technical enough to create a link)-It’s reg is ET06YVY and it is the 2.7 Exclusive model.

I grew up with Citroens my father had 3CXs a BX and an XM. I have admired the C6 from afar and can’t wait to finally own one. I love driving but I am mechanically inept and would like to now if anyone had owned/ encountered this vehicle in the past- I have searched the site but can’t see any reference to it. Looking at the history I can find the car has stood for 3 years but was put back on the road last year. It has 2 advisories- rear suspension pipes starting to corrode and rear brake disc worn. The main concern is the vehicle had a water leak from the offside near front end. The seller bought a water pump but tells me after investigation it was a pipe that needed replacing and there is no need to renew the water pump. I asked him to replace it anyway but he is reluctant to do this- it looks a big job.

I know I am buying a 14 year old car and don’t expect it to be pristine but at the same time would like to be in a usable condition. I would appreciate any advice/information anyone could pass on.

Thanks
Andrew

C6Dave   
Sun May 03 2020, 02:56pm

Member No: #1
This one: - Click Here -

Leaking water pipe on the offside? More likely the thermostat housing at the top (water inlet tank) which is a very common fail. When doing it do the lower front one as well. Both are well documented on site

Rear suspension pipe 'corrosion' well nearly all show some signs of it, clean them off and spray with wax oil etc. then should be fine.

MOT history looks good BTW
Website
AndrewC6   
Sun May 03 2020, 04:38pm
Hi Dave

That’s the one. Thanks a lot for the advice it’s much appreciated. I am getting in the neck from the wife for buying it so I can’t afford for it to go wrong too much or I may find myself sleeping in it.

Thanks
Andrew
FraserG   
Mon May 04 2020, 12:53am
Member No: #2011
Good Luck with that Andrew,

Every dollar spent on maintenance of my C6 is viewed as an attack on our household by my wife. My argument, not very successful, is that my maintenance and running costs are lower than the losses most of my mates have through depreciation on their new SUV's! I know what I would rather spend my money on and it's greener to maintain than to build new.

Cheers Fraser
Trainman   
Mon May 11 2020, 08:05pm

Member No: #86
I’ve just had a look at my list, and that registration number is unknown, that could mean that it had a private plate, or was maybe an import from Ireland.
AndrewC6   
Tue May 12 2020, 05:11pm
Hi All

Could anyone suggest the best place to get this part- it has been described to me as an engine outlet water pipe.

Thanks
Andrew

EDIT: Sorry tried to attach photos- part no is: 4U30-8A544-A0. PA66GF30<. C8W0A
C6Dave   
Tue May 12 2020, 05:46pm

part no is: 4U30-8A544-A0. PA66GF30<. C8W0A

Where are those numbers from?

The 2 that fail are: 1336 Y2 & 1336 Y3

Lower pipe is: - Click Here -

Top one (thermostat) - Click Here -
Website
AndrewC6   
Tue May 12 2020, 06:59pm
Hi Dave

The numbers are stamped on the side of the part. It is the lower pipe thanks. Do you think it wise to replace the top one at the same time? The garage have said it was a very difficult job to remove which seems to be confirmed from what I have subsequently read on the site. They are also fitting a new water pump that was supplied with the car.

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated

Andrew
MGmike   
Wed May 13 2020, 04:25am
Member No: #3151
AndrewC6 wrote ...

Do you think it wise to replace the top one at the same time?

yep, change the top one if there's no record of it having been done in the last five years or so. I also recommend replacing the two small pipes attached to the expansion tank. They do fail and were cheap as chips when I last purchased.

And fit a low coolant alarm.... It might just save your engine...

C6Dave   
Wed May 13 2020, 07:37am

AndrewC6 wrote ...

Hi Dave

The numbers are stamped on the side of the part. It is the lower pipe thanks. Do you think it wise to replace the top one at the same time? The garage have said it was a very difficult job to remove which seems to be confirmed from what I have subsequently read on the site.

Not difficult just 'awkward' IIRC you need to drop the alternator and air con pump (no need to disconnect the pipes, just let it hang)
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club