C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Battery Life and Replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
pattersonoxford   
Mon May 02 2016, 02:12pm
Member No: #48
UK Citroen Dealers will supply & fit an OE C6 battery for £110.

Nikolaj   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 07:34pm
Member No: #4047
Thanks for good advice, I had the feeling that I was somehow underpowered, the time window for starting the engine was sometimes rather small, so I followed you advice on the Varta H3, and ordered it without even looking in my rearwing.

Sure enough, there was the battery every battery homepage recormended, looking rather small on the batterytray.

Apart from not being sufficient for the power demand from a Goddess, it look quite unsafe to me, that the battery is not hold down by the tray in the back, in case of an accident where the car rolls, that battery would be all over the place.

When the car is equiped with a battery tray, that will only securely hold a 100A battery, it is for a reason.

Pictures speak for them self.

arconell3   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 09:11pm
Member No: #922
Frankly, I don't have a clue why even the most reputable battery manufacturers have insisted on systematically listing batteries that are absolutely and totally unfit for our beloved diva's!!

Yes, your C6 need the 950 CCA, remember the hydraulics are pressurized by an electric pump! Your windows need to come down when unlocking, even under frosty conditions, all electronic systems including 2 fuel pumps (1 high-pressure) need to be powered on as are 6 fuel injectors before the engine even begins to turn.

Anyway, DON'T go for a less powerful battery than the OEM battery, which as far as I am aware leaves you no other choice than the Citroën OEM battery for replacement.

In both my (well, mine and my girlfriends) C6es the original lasted 7 years, without any problems. In both batteries eventually one of the cells failed and you just need a new one because they cannot be fully charged anymore.

Regards, Robert
Website
C6Dave   
Fri May 08 2020, 09:25am

Member No: #1
I had a new battery fitted last year (by Citroen) but the car has stood idle for a long time now and hasn't really been used since last November, apart from a few startups to ensure everything worked OK.

However yesterday it took 4 attempts before the engine would actually fire up and it had a few weird actions when I got it rolling as I took it to the shops. Rear doors would not open from the outside, accelerator was intermittent etc. as the battery was so low on charge.

Hooked up my C TEK XS which I have had for 8+ years and use on the Traction over winter and 24 hours later the battery is not at half charge yet. The C Tek is only rated at 0.8 amps output - Click Here - so not up to the job so have now ordered an C Tek MXS 5 - Click Here - to use on the C6 going forward as it's not a car I use on a regular basis (especially during the current 'lockdown')
Website
Tjensen   
Fri May 08 2020, 11:13am
Member No: #954
Big battery, powerful charger, charge as often as you can = few problems. Even the 5A CTEK charger is a little underpowered. 8A is more realistic and 10A even better.
Fraunie   
Fri May 08 2020, 11:58am
Member No: #3763
IMHO the "Shift-Mode" is the best way to go, if you don't use your C6 regularly...
Your battery will stay in good health for months.

C6Dave   
Fri May 08 2020, 05:53pm

Member No: #1
Tjensen wrote ...

Big battery, powerful charger, charge as often as you can = few problems. Even the 5A CTEK charger is a little underpowered. 8A is more realistic and 10A even better.

34 hours later the battery is getting there, but still not fully charged and with rain forecast, I had to unplug it as it sits outside.

As well as the new charger I order the 2.5 metre extension cable so will be able to have the charger in the garage and still connect it to the engine bay contacts and if used regularly, the 5 amps should be enough.

@Fraunie I agree that would be the way to go if the car was in 'storage', but as it's sat on the driveway the temptation would be to use it when I could and would surely forget to swap that fuse back
Website
MGmike   
Fri May 08 2020, 08:10pm
Member No: #3151
C6Dave wrote ...

Tjensen wrote ...

34 hours later the battery is getting there, but still not fully charged and with rain forecast, I had to unplug it as it sits outside.

At 0.8A I estimate 4 days to fully charged (dependent on capacity and just how flat it was!)...

I agree a 5A charger will be more than sufficient, after all, the battery will only take what it needs and the charging current will drop dramatically once the voltage comes up. 10A will give you a good kick to get started but is unlikely to reduce the total charge time significantly. I still get great service from my 6A charger from way back in the 80's although I'm thinking about getting a 5A CTEK for the battery reconditioning cycle to see if it will revive some of the neglected batteries in my MG's!

Norman   
Sun May 10 2020, 02:09am
Member No: #364
I had my battery replaced by Citroen several years ago when my C6 began to play up somewhat and they fitted the recommended 950a battery and it’s been good ever since now since the lockdown and the fact my cancer treatment allows me to go to the hospital once a week I decided after reading somewhere not to use a standard battery charger on the C6 I went and bought this automatic
- Click Here -
and it seems to do A good job the engine started first time and quickly so was well pleased.
M2dis   
Wed Dec 20 2023, 09:50am
Member No: #3475
Fraunie wrote ...

IMHO the "Shift-Mode" is the best way to go, if you don't use your C6 regularly...
Your battery will stay in good health for months.

My C6 is currently in the storage and I am battling with my battery, can someone explain what am I looking here? Is this some special fuse?
cit-rotti   
Wed Dec 20 2023, 04:32pm
Member No: #3753
It is the slightly larger fuse, which can be clearly seen in the picture - labelled "SH" - above it you can see "Parking".
This fuse can be moved to the left or right.
Parking mode is on the left and driving mode is on the right.

Greetings Wolfgang
MGmike   
Wed Dec 20 2023, 07:47pm
Member No: #3151
It's actually a "shunt" used when the car was on display at the dealers. It disables a number of electrical circuits to prevent premature battery drain. You could use it in long-term storage but as no one will be entering the car and trying all the functions, I'm not sure it would save you anything.
Fraunie   
Sun Jan 21 2024, 12:25pm
Member No: #3763
If it isn't possible to connect a charger to your battery when not using the car more than a month, the "shunt" is the best way to put it at rest.
You just switch it over and the electric consumption is going to zero.
When you want to awake the car, put the shunt back and then wait at least 5 minutes before you start it to give all the electric gear time to wake up slowly.

Using the shunt you can leave the car for months and the battery is still fine (if it was before, of course)
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club