Coolant level sensor retrofit solved.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cruiserphil   
Fri Nov 01 2019, 02:21pm

Member No: #38
Hello Tjensen,

No, the option to change is not in the BSI menu.

Best regards,

Phil C.
David Hallworth   
Fri Nov 01 2019, 02:37pm

Member No: #90
It's not available on the 3.0 HDi unfortunately. They removed the option to enable it in the ECU software.

The only thing I figured you could do on the 3.0 was to wire it into the water in diesel sensor. The issue is that because the coolant is water the light might be on all the time. If you could use another interface to flip the signal you could do it that way.

David.
Citrofix   
Mon Nov 04 2019, 07:16am
Member No: #1722
321dave wrote ...

rwb wrote ...

I've just heard that there was a recall on 407s to remove the level sensor from the coolant tank because water was creeping up the wiring and into the ECU!

I also heard that.

Yes, this was also the case on old C5 2,0 diesels, so the sensor was swapped out With a plug. When I mounted the Level sensor on my C6, I isolated the copper core of the wires With glue where the wires are crimped to the contact pins, this eliminates coolant entering the ECU in case the coolant will creep up inside the sensor and into the 3-way Connector.

A better solution I think rather than removing the sensor. I had good use of the warning "coolant Level too low" lately, after a long drive to Stavanger South-west in Norway.

Next morning when I turned the key, I got the warning and popped up the bonnet to see that a plastic seam on top of the radiator was leaking, also one of the tiny plastic tubes going back to the expansion tank was bad, the one from the round little plastic "ball" front right.

Loosened the expansion tank cap some turns, so there would be no pressure in the system, bought 3 litres of coolant and drove home, no problem, no Message, no coolant loss.
mtee   
Mon Nov 04 2019, 03:53pm
Member No: #1924
If the 3.0 HDi ECU does not support the low coolant warning, how about a standalone low coolant alarm? Should just find a subtle, not too prominent location for the alarm LED somewhere in the dashboard.
- Click Here -
David Hallworth   
Tue Nov 05 2019, 09:03pm

Member No: #90
I'd rather do it via the water in the diesel alarm that's built into the car and try and flip the signal. I hate bolting aftermarket things not a car personally.

David.
pauldubber   
Fri Apr 10 2020, 11:08am
Member No: #3136
I have a early petrol c6 with cables already present for the cooling sensor. After installing the sensor and activating through the lexia, i get no warnings. Anyone with an idea?
cruiserphil   
Tue Apr 14 2020, 10:12am

Hello Pauldubber,

When you say no warnings, how are you testing it?

Best regards,

Phil C.
pauldubber   
Thu Apr 23 2020, 11:09am
Member No: #3136
I am testing by pulling out the sensor.
keithc   
Thu Apr 23 2020, 02:03pm
Member No: #2584
I'm getting stuff ready to do a few jobs on my C6. One of them is the coolant level sensor. At the moment I have a sensor got but of the two sites Vaho links in his "how to" partacus.de no longer exists and the other (teile-profis.de) only has the plug. It's not recognising the part no's 6541E7/6541Z2/654Z1 for the pins/harness clips. Any Citroen garage Ive tried here in Ireland is closed for business for now.

Has anyone any other links where I could get the pins and plug (6541F3) together?
eke   
Fri Apr 24 2020, 11:23am
Member No: #624
Is this what you are looking for ? - Click Here -

Also 6541E7/6541Z2/6541Z1 are available
keithc   
Fri Apr 24 2020, 01:09pm
Member No: #2584
Thanks a million for that! Have them ordered there now
cruiserphil   
Tue Nov 03 2020, 04:31pm

Lads,

Some of you will have noticed recently on the C6 Facebook page that I had to replace the coolant inlet tank on our 2.7. It is thanks to the coolant level sensor retrofit that that is all I had to do.

I was driving home from my pal's house when the low coolant level warning came on. I stopped to check and the header tank level was down. There was no smell of coolant or steam. I reckoned I had enough coolant to get home and did. The tank was just empty on arrival home. Without the sensor fitted, I wouldn't have known about the leak as the engine underguard directs this leak under the centre of the car, plus the leak stopped when the engine was stopped. I was due to travel to work the next morning and would have departed with coolant at a critical level and an ongoing leak. Thankfully that didn't happen.

I would strongly recommend owners who haven't done so to retrofit the coolant level sensor. The material cost is small and it's not a big job labour wise. And what it can potentially save!!

I owe member Vaho a beer at least!!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Tue Nov 03 2020, 05:44pm
Member No: #1163
I would strongly suggest that there should be a supplementary 3-pole connector in line between the sensor and the point of entry at the terminations into the ECU. A trio of 'Amp' insulated crimp terminals, sited at the lowest point inside the electronics' box, would suit. This provides a capillary break in the wires. I've already drilled a couple of drain holes in the lowest wells in the bottom of mine.

A break in the wires is necessary, as the Cartier sensor probes have a nasty habit of splitting open inside the tank. The cooling system is, of course under pressure when the engine is hot, and the connection at the sensor is very well sealed. If the sensor splits, then the coolant is forced, by capillary action, along the individual wires, between the insulation and the copper conductor strands, and injects the pressurised coolant into the ECU pins and beyond.

This is the very reason that the sensor was deleted by PSA...
321dave   
Tue Nov 03 2020, 06:00pm
Member No: #614
e3steve wrote ...

Phil, was this situation with your 2.7 or Sue's 3.0?

Sorry to hear that Phil. Guess what, my newish radiator from a few years back is now leaking!!
Most of Coolant was missing when i did my under the bonnet weekly check!

Oh, my weekly check is now going too be my daily check from now on!!

What’s will go next on the famous coolant circuit?

cruiserphil   
Tue Nov 03 2020, 06:02pm

Hello e3,
It was the 2.7.

Best regards,
Phil C.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club