Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Windows and heavy frost

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
smihaialex   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 08:51am
Member No: #1031
The question is: why not?!?
BruceB   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:31pm
Member No: #234
verycleverman wrote ...

Why would anyone want to open the sunroof in freezing weather?

Because it feels w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l. It was precisely because of weather like that that I hung on until I could find a C6 with a sunroof. I nearly gave up, nearly resigned myself to having to compromise, but ... phew! Feet all toasty warm, and a chill wind gently ruffling the hair. It's so bracing.

If you knew how good it feels, you'd all want one!
smihaialex   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 02:39pm
Member No: #1031
I have one, and I must admit that I haven't used the sunroof on a chilly winter day, but now, I most definitely will - just to see if it's for me or not

Sam
Nikolaj   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 12:11pm
Member No: #4047
OK, I fell into this old C6 trap, I carefully watched the side window when opening the door, to make sure that it dropped down after a frosty night in the Alps, I didn't think of watching if it stayed down as I let go of the door handle, it was up when I closed the door. I didn't notice the cracked glass until I tried to look in my side mirror.

Everything was back to normal after a 20min drive, getting som heat into the car.

I was surprised, that the cooling waster stayes stone cold, when engine braking up to 4000 rpm, only oil temp rise a little, I was going 7 km downhill, with a 700m drop, some part of the road had 23% stepness, so a bit of braking was nessary.

Going back up was much more relaxed, and our turning headlights gave full value for the money on the mountain road, as it was pitch dark.

Enough talk, the question is, are side windows still available new, or do I have to source a used window.!?
David Hallworth   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 12:21pm

Member No: #90
Having the engine at 4000rpm when stone cold is brutal! Until I’ve got oil and water temp I tend to stay below 2k and until the oil and water are at full temp below 3k.

Side windows are still available new as far as I know.

David.
Nikolaj   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 12:56pm
Absolutely agree, engine had been running for at least 10 min when starting the decent, couldn't wait much longer, as my mother had to catch a bus in the next village.

First time I went down that mountain road, I had been driving around for about 20 min, so coolant must have been close to normal, but still after the decent temp was down.

Maybe because a diesel engine doesn't produce much heat, and fuel beeing cut of when engine braking, so no combustion heat, radiator beeing hit by air much below 0 deg, result, coolant temp going down, eventhough engine are at high revs.
C6Dave   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 06:47pm

Member No: #1
Nikolaj wrote ...

Maybe because a diesel engine doesn't produce much heat, and fuel being cut of when engine braking, so no combustion heat, radiator being hit by air much below 0 deg, result, coolant temp going down, even though engine are at high revs.

Is the thermostat working correctly because it should stop the flow of water to the radiator and still allow the engine to warm up?

The original Citroen 'Snowguard' was recommended below 10c On the C6 Scandinavian cars got one supplied originally) as the low temperatures reduce mpg - Click Here -

The part number is 7429.F0 but I doubt is available now however you could follow this DIY guide - Click Here - which will help
Website
Nikolaj   
Mon Feb 17 2020, 06:02pm
Yes, thermostat is working correctly, if winter comes back to Denmark some day, I might consider a 'Snowguard', but now it's only one week of skiing in the Alps each year.

I've never been to a skiing area, where I had to make such a steep decent, for local shopping, (and in this case drop my mother of at the bus stop) so I was just surprised, that the steep decent seemed to cool down the engine, when I expected it to reach normal temp, as it always do after 5-10 min, depending of the outside temp of course.
Nikolaj   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 09:53pm
Does it ever go smooth getting a C6 side window replaced at the professionals..
They didn't know about the rivet in the end of the outside aluminium glass list, so part of the list stayed with the rivet, and they bend the list as well.
(they have now ordered a new list)

Citrofix   
Tue Apr 07 2020, 06:08pm
Member No: #1722
Hi. I live in Norway, and also had this problem during winter. I then decided to take out all the locks, part 1 in the part picture and the handle micro switch, part 12.

I cleaned the locks on the outside and sealed off all the small openings in the locks housings with windscreen glue to prevent water entering from above inside the doors. Also routed the handle micro switch wiring up to the switch instead of down to it, so water can not follow the wiring and into the switch. Also put on a clad of grease to the switch, and also the lock mechanism.

Taking out the locks in the back doors, you need to also take out the windows and re-adjust when assembling again. So, its a bit of work and hours to spend, doing it on all 4 doors. But since this upgrade, it has worked perfectly for me

Regards, Christian Raddum, Norway
Norman   
Tue Apr 07 2020, 10:53pm
Member No: #364
Hi, if your Going downhill a lot to warm up the engine what would driving it in manual mode keeping the revs up do would it be beneficial.
Nikolaj   
Wed Apr 08 2020, 07:11pm
The reason for manual mode going downhill, is to use the engine as an extra brake, even modern brakes will eventually get red hot and maybe fade, if the decent is long enough, as this was, not a chance I'm going to take in a car as heavy as the C6, when the next hairpin corner turns up.

So I didn't use manual to keep revs up, but speed down.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club