C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

New 2.7 engine sound !?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Nikolaj   
Sun Feb 23 2020, 09:32pm
Member No: #4047
Sound appeared at easy driving, and follows revs, would normally suspect exhaust manifold gasket, but sounds seems to originate from inside the V. Maybe a loose glowplug...

- Click Here -

I'll investigate further tomorrow.
Nikolaj   
Sun Feb 23 2020, 09:46pm
Forgot to mention, exhaust fumes in engine bay as well..
Hattershaun   
Sun Feb 23 2020, 10:31pm
Member No: #320
Or leaking combustion gases from a fuel injector.
C6Dave   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 09:37am

Member No: #1
Hattershaun wrote ...

Or leaking combustion gases from a fuel injector.

Sounds like an injector to me as well Shaun
Website
Nikolaj   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 11:39am
After driving to work, there's now exhaust sod on the front half of the oil filter house, so I'm still with the glow plug theory, worst case head gasket, I cross my fingers that it's glow plug issue.

I'll know more later today.
FraserG   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 07:59pm
Member No: #2011
Hi, I had a similar noise last year which was caused by a copper washer on one of my injectors perforating. It was chuffing and effectually puffing smoke. At first the only damage noted was the washer but later my mechanic discovered that the rocker cover was also damaged. All fixed now.
Nikolaj   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 09:30pm
Yes the blowby exhaust gas seems to be quite hot, and melts nearby plastic...

Saved by the bell, not head gasket, but the broken glowplug playing up, as mentioned in another post last year, I inherited the broken glowplug from previous owner, and started to extract it, but couldn't get a straight line to the plug hole due to the inlet manifold, so mission aborted, and a bolt and rubber seal was screwed into the remaining part of the seized plug.

Good thing is, that the seized plug must have moved, in order to allow blowby exhaust gas, rubber seal has totally wanished, and part of the glowplug powerbridge has melted.

As it's my daily driver, I had to make a new temp fix, until first available weekend, were I can hopefully finish the glowplug business.

I need to source a new(used) glowplug powerbridge though.
A few pics from the operation:

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club