Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Need new timing belt, what else should I do whilst there?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Candide   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 10:22am
Member No: #3844
Coming up for a year with this amazing machine and it's time for some maintenance and servicing. I need a new aux belt + tensioner and also it's time for a new timing belt, so I thought that I would also be as well to replace the third belt - for the diesel pump, I believe (?) - at the other side of the engine.

I'm wondering what else I can attend to whilst there? It's a 2007 Lignage, with 155,000 miles and it's driving very well at the moment. The aircon has never worked, so maybe that can be looked at too.

With no access to a workshop or garage, it looks like this will be going in somewhere, I'm even thinking of driving down to BL Autos, as the car was previously maintained and serviced by them and I know that it's going to be done properly, although there's a new Citroen Indy in Glasgow who does appear to know his stuff.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.
MGmike   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 01:31pm
Member No: #3151
I'll add my must do's based on experience...

Water pump just because it's cheap and will only add 15 mins to the job (full strip down again if it fails).
Thermostat housing if it hasn't been done in the last 5 years. Likewise water inlet manifold and both of the small water pipes from the expansion tank to the engine (likely to break when disturbed anyway).

These are worth considering....
New expansion tank. Check both the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals and replace if any signs of leakage. If oil changes have been at the regulation 20k I would do teh oil pump. At 155k it might be worth changing all of these as a matter of course.

I would put myself forward to do the work but I'm struggling to find time to get my own fleet roadworthy! Mind you with 3x C6's, 2x C5's a Jag XK8, a MGF, assorted MGB's and a Scimitar I shouldn't be surprised really
MGmike   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 01:42pm
Member No: #3151
forgot to say...
If you do have the aircon looked at you'll need to replace the dryer before finally filling the system.
I've bought a set of aircon tools and hopefully I'll find time to do one of my C5's before our one warm day in June
Hattershaun   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 08:01pm
Member No: #320
Is this the blue 2.7HDi with Alezan (brown) leather?
If so, suggest you talk to B.L.Autos, they should still have all the history on their computer.
I know the car and it's previous owner. For sure the cambelt had been changed at least once, maybe twice, along with the oil pump second time round.
Candide   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 08:11pm
Thanks for your replies, I emailed BLAutos today asking for an estimate for the work so I'll wait to see what they say. I gave them the reg number so they should be able to look it up. The crank seal was already on the list and the water pump was changed in 2016 along with the last belt change. I think I'll take BLAutos recommendations on what else needs doing on the car, they obviously know it well.
David Hallworth   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 12:53pm

Member No: #90
How many miles are on the car? I'd be surprised if it needs a second belt!

David.
Candide   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 04:19pm
Hi David, the car is at 156k with the cam belt having been changed in 2016. I thought that it was prudent to change the belt according to length of time as well as mileage, i.e. every 3 years or X thousand of miles?
David Hallworth   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 07:08pm

Noooo... timing belt is every 10 years or 100k or similar!
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 07:11pm

Member No: #1
Candide wrote ...

Hi David, the car is at 156k with the cam belt having been changed in 2016. I thought that it was prudent to change the belt according to length of time as well as mileage, i.e. every 3 years or X thousand of miles?

10 years or 100,000 miles is fine. Time limit is 10 years, mileage is less than Citroens recommendations @ 112,500 for 'Arduos conditions' normal is 140,000 miles

High Pressure Diesel Belt: every 160,000 miles (257,000 Kms)

FAQ on servicing: - Click Here -
Website
onthecut   
Wed Jan 29 2020, 09:05am
Member No: #2793
Hi Candide.

Regarding the suggestion to change the oil pump. Be aware this is a sump off job and as I recall, there is naturally something to stop the sump just dropping down, so extra time is involved. I changed mine when I did the belts due to concerns about failure of the casting, but the consensus at the time seemed to be this was a problem affecting Land Rover installations of the engine but not Citroen. Just be aware it may have a significant impact on the bill.

Regardless of whether or not you have the pump changed, have a look at the state of the sump pan. On mine there was significant surface corrosion.

Mike.
rwb   
Sat Feb 15 2020, 05:44am
Member No: #1988
So it sounds like: belt and tensioners and water pump.

Are these right?

- Click Here -
And
- Click Here - (1 pulley)
or
- Click Here - (3 pulleys)

I've got a water inlet and thermostat housing.

Plus some coolant.

Anything else I need?

Website
C6Dave   
Sat Feb 15 2020, 09:58am

rwb wrote ...

So it sounds like: belt and tensioners and water pump.

Anything else I need?

Auxiliary belt as that's what drives the water pump and alternator and whilst you have the car in bits it's easier to do.
Website
rwb   
Sat Feb 15 2020, 12:50pm
Member No: #1988
Is that the same thing as "high pressure fuel pump belt".

What is the coolant capacity?
Website
C6Dave   
Sat Feb 15 2020, 07:19pm

2.7 coolant system Tech doc: - Click Here - and shows as 13.2 Litres.

You will need to make sure you bleed the air out of the system once refilled - Click Here -
Website
David Hallworth   
Sat Feb 15 2020, 09:28pm

No, the fuel pump belt is on the gearbox end of the engine, the aux belt needs to be removed when you start stripping it down to get to the timing belt.

The timing belt and fuel pump belts are toothed belts, the aux belt is a ribbed belt.

David.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club