C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

[moved] Part Number for a Multifunction screen

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ckracer76   
Sun Jan 26 2020, 10:15pm
Member No: #4236
Hello. Hope nobody minds me asking a question in this thread from 2010 but I have a question regarding the Citroen C6 instrumentation.

I am currently looking to buy my first Citroen C6 and I am tempted by Lignage trim. Some appear to have the the sat-nav RD4/MP3 screen others have a smaller screen set into a central recess.

Do all C6 trim levels have the head up display?

Can the RD4/MP3 screen and functionality be retrofitted to cars with the smaller screen?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Dan595   
Mon Jan 27 2020, 12:00pm
Member No: #299
From memory:

Exclusive always had the 'big screen' with Sat Nav - earliest systems with the mapping on a DVD, and a CD changer in the boot; later units with hard disk and no CD changer.

Lignage had small screen as standard, but a good proportion of them had sat nav as an optional upgrade (so have the 'big screen'). I would think it would be possible to upgrade, but it may be a complex and expensive job. Also, the sat nav has never been great, although I like the way the HUD shows the directions for you.

Exclusive and Lignage both have head-up display (HUD).

Base models had small screen and, I think, no HUD.
However, to my knowledge only a couple of base models made it to the UK, so you are very unlikely to find one (I've never seen one).
David Hallworth   
Mon Jan 27 2020, 01:27pm

Member No: #90
RT3 isn't really worth Retrofitting in my opinion.

If you're going to retrofit then I'd be looking for an RT4 or an RT5. RT5 has the benefit of having bluetooth built into it. I'm not sure if the microphone for the internal phone system is fitted in a Lignage though.

RT3 uses a different screen to RT4/5, RT4 and 5 share the same screen.

RT3 reads it's navigation maps from a CD whereas 4 and 5 use a HDD built into the headunit. They also have the ability to upload music onto the internal HDD using the Jukebox feature.

David.
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 27 2020, 06:51pm

Member No: #1
Before spending money on it remember that even if you upgrade to RT5 the maps for the navigation system were last produced quarter 3/4 2015.

If your not going to lots of 'new to you' places is it worth the effort and money?

Me personally, I don't mind having a TomTom stuck on the screen which has up to date mapping and guidance when I'm going out of familiar areas, (down into France or to Italy the past couple of year).

The only advantage for me having RT4 over an RT3 is having the ability to load music onto the 'jukebox' which I have done using home compiled MP3 discs but even then I don't play them much.

BTW my current 6 (4th) is Lignage spec with Navidrive and Black leather upgrades so all that's really missing v an exclusive is Lane Departure (which I turned off as a nuisance) and electric steering column adjustment (which can be 'sticky') and mine never needs 'adjusting' anyway
Website
ckracer76   
Tue Jan 28 2020, 12:22am
Member No: #4236
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

Wow. Looking at people signature spaces I'm a litle bit in awe of some of the Citroen cars you all have or have had. Incredible combined knowledge.

I like the look of the factory audio head units but as you all say the technology and features are quite old and the sat-nav maps outdated in 2020.

I have spent the last few days trying to find (without success) somebody who has swapped out the Citroen RT3/RT4/RT5 audio head unit and fitted a modern 1-DIN size single radio replacement or 2-DIN size aftermarket screen alternative?

It appears that the standard Citroen audio head units are made by Magnetti Marelli, Italy (which I really wasn't expecting) but some people also seem to think they are made by Blaupunkt, Germany. All the RT3 and RT4 units I have seen for sale secondhand are marked Magnetti Marelli.

I found a link to a Citroen C6 case study that has had a professional audio upgrade installation and even they did not replace the standard head unit?

Case study link: - Click Here -

I am wondering what the issue is with replacement? Is it a lack of facia plates to allow fitment in the non-standard aperture or something else?

Thanks in advance.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 28 2020, 09:33am

Member No: #1
When I was running the C4owners - Click Here - forums a few members upgraded from RT3/4 to alternatives.

Can't remember what exactly but a search on there might find something however things like the parking sensors etc. run via the head unit and from what I remember some 'interface' units were required but it's been a while now so I can't remember. 'Wozza' (Tom) who is now head admin was the one doing most of the changes to his car so that will help narrow down the search for you.
Website
David Hallworth   
Tue Jan 28 2020, 01:24pm

Member No: #90
One of the issues is there is more then just the radio and nav that run through the screen in the car.

The trip computer including temperature gauges, climate control, telephone, and probably something else I've forgotten all run through the central screen and are controlled by the RT3/4/5. Infact, if you remove the headunit from a UK spec C6, I believe the speedo defaults to kilometers.

Removing that and replacing it with something aftermarket would cause multiple issues with controlling all of the cars functions as I don't think they'd be controllable or function correctly without it operating.

David.
Swalleau   
Tue Jan 28 2020, 11:33pm
Member No: #3097
Hi Christian,

Changing the head unit for a DIN aftermarket is not a good idea for all the reasons Dave and Dave have outlined.

What is the reason for the swap? If it is for audio there are options if you already have an RT.

Using the Nav: I actually use the standard satnav quite a lot, even though it is quirky and out of date. Most of the time, especially in rural France it is perfect! I combine the built in with Google Maps on a mobile phone. A lot of roads don't change - and if I am off somewhere new I do check for any variance between Google and the C6.

For sound, on RT4, I use both the HDD and the Aux input in the glove box. The CD import is slow though..... The input from the Aux is not a true line in so I use a small in line amplifier (Fiio i1), although a bluetooth version would work if you wanted. You need a cable to hook up the aux phono sockets to a 3.5mm headphone plug (easily available from Amazon).

Iain
Tjensen   
Wed Jan 29 2020, 10:44am
Member No: #954
In Norway the Government killed FM radio (!), so we need DAB+. I tried to find an alternative with DAB and found one listed for Peugeot 407, but the dealer said it could not be used on the C6. My garage tells me to try RT6 from Magneti Marelli. But I will not experiment and will only try something others have succeeded in doing.
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Mon Feb 03 2020, 02:43pm
Member No: #615
The RT4 and RT5 system in a C6 contains the configuration for like lights and so on, so changing to a different system will let you loose some of the configurations of your car.
JH   
Wed Oct 27 2021, 09:05pm
Member No: #4871
Could any one tell me if my screen is fixable? Could it be just bad connections or do the dead pixels signal something much worse?
I am wondering if it is something I should just put up with ?
Ignore the dates on the image, the battery has been off recently.

MGmike   
Wed Oct 27 2021, 10:13pm
Member No: #3151
Nope not fixable. Will need to be replaced. What age, model of head unit?
JH   
Fri Oct 29 2021, 04:20pm
Member No: #4871
Thanks Mike.
The car was first registered in the Uk on the 30th April 2007. There does not appear to be a cd changer in the boot. Someone suggested it could be under the front seat, had a look not there either, so , it does not appear to have one.

I am not sure what sort of head unit it is. I am new to C6's.
If its of any use the chassis number is VF7TDUHZJ78013447
MGmike   
Sat Oct 30 2021, 04:01am
Member No: #3151
JH, almost certainly an RT3 with the lo-res screen. It's easy enough to replace and I have a spare from a one I'm breaking. If you're interested PM me.

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club