Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Bent jacking points

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Sat Mar 24 2018, 02:30pm
Member No: #2185
Has anyone straightened out bent jacking points? If so, how, and was the repair successful and enduring?

Failing that, how do we live with bent jacking points? Fashion a bit of hard wood with a suitably-shaped recess? Any pictures?
MikeH   
Sun Mar 25 2018, 08:05pm
Member No: #1555
You can do it with a jack pushing against an immovable object. Once done, you might want to consider making a block of wood like the one in the pictures attached to carry in your boot. I made it out of an oak block and if you make sure to get the cut against the grain, it works fine on all four jacking points. The weight of the car is held on the plate support rather than the plate itself. It's worked fine for me for all the years I've had the car and never had a bent jacking point since the first (at a tyre fitters).

C6Dave   
Mon Mar 26 2018, 08:20am

Member No: #1
Any chance you can add a few dimensions to one of the images to give everyone a starting point please?
Website
MikeH   
Mon Mar 26 2018, 11:41am
Member No: #1555
Others might have far better ideas but it's just something that worked for me. Make sure to cut it with the grain as shown in the pictures and good luck.

Nikolaj   
Sun Jan 19 2020, 12:33pm
Member No: #4047
I had to use a big plummers wrench to straighten out my jack point, but only to find it bend again, when I had to take the wheel of.

A floor jack does make a small sideway force, as it don't lift straight up, and therefore rools in under the car as it goes up.

I didn't know that both sides of the jack point was strong enough, especially the plastic side, but since the wood block works perfect, it must be I guess.

But have you tried the jack in the car? it has a less deep groove, so I would fear that the jack point would bend again using that.

And if that happens, the car would probably slide of that small flimsy jack, that comes with the car.

I was thinking about trying to strengthing the jack point, but as it is bend where it goen into the construction, it might be a waste of time.

Has anybody tried to strengthen these jack points?

C6Dave   
Sun Jan 19 2020, 12:46pm

I had mine straightened but the guy who did it used an 'induction' heater to warm them up so they wouldn't crack/be further weakened whilst straightening.
Website
Nikolaj   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 05:56am
Would it be right to assume, that this mainly happens to the front jackpoints!?

From memory, the thickess of the jackpoint is the same as the C5, which was no problem for mine (2.0), I guess the V6 C5 could have same problem.

It just make you wonder, that CitroƩn strengthen these jack points on the C6 (V6 C5) as it was already a problem on the XM.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 08:21am

Nikolaj wrote ...

Would it be right to assume, that this mainly happens to the front jackpoints!?

No it happens to the rear ones as well. Usually when numpties in a garage put the car on a 2 post lift. But can also be done when changing a wheel with a trolley jack.
Website
Nikolaj   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 02:39pm
Hmm. trolley jack, thats me, and my local Citroen garage use a 2 post lift, he did however have some kind of rubber blocks, to put under each jackpoint. (I had lower whisbone bushes replaced a few months ago.)

So if you haven't got a fine wooden block as mentioned above, and have to change all wheels, (summer to winter and vise versa) I don't suppose you use the flimsy jack from the boot!?
David Hallworth   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 02:50pm

Member No: #90
If I'm jacking the front of the car I use a trolley jack straight onto the subframe. If I'm jacking the rear of the car I use a wooden block onto the aluminium structure where the tie bars are anchored to.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 06:21pm

Nikolaj wrote ...

So if you haven't got a fine wooden block as mentioned above, and have to change all wheels, (summer to winter and vise versa) I don't suppose you use the flimsy jack from the boot!?

Personally I wouldn't trust that jack unless as a last resort in an emergency roadside wheel change.

The C6 is a big heavy car.
Website
Nikolaj   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 08:39pm
Thanks, I'm on the right track then, just had a rear wheel of lifting on the aluminium, have to have another look in the front, if I can find some subframe, without removing the undertray.

I also used the subframe on my C5, but that has a smaller undertray.

Yes the C6 is a heavy car, thats also why I'm so puzzled about why Citroen didn't think about making the jackpoints plates, 1 or 2 mm thicker, it might have done the job, and considdering the price from new, cost saving should not be the reason for the flimsy jackpoints we have now.

Absolutely agree about the jack in the boot, it might be ok on a even firm surface, but thats never the case, when you need it for emergency roadside wheel change.
Tjensen   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 11:10pm
Member No: #954
I use a trolley jack and a relative soft rubber plate. Works well. But at some garage they flattened one jackpoint and I need to do something get it right again.
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 08 2020, 01:08pm

Just to update this. Rather than make a wood block I bought a pair of Polyurethane jacking blocks from eBay: - Click Here - - there are lots of other suppliers. There are some Ford Fiesta ones listed that have 1 side lower than the other and are circa 10mm wider in diameter but for the amount of time there actually used the basic ones should be fine.

Website
sotweedfactor   
Thu Mar 12 2020, 01:48pm
Member No: #2185
I tried the polyurethane pads and found that they disintegrated almost immediately. After that, I asked my local garage if, in their heap of throw-outs, they had an old jack. I ground the head off and now use it on my trolley jack. Has worked OK so far without further bending on the jack points.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club