C6 newbie looking for advice on buying a local car

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
druid   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 08:23pm
Member No: #4224
Hi folks

Just discovered this forum as I'm looking to buy a C6.

I must say it seems like a great community and a great resource for C6 owners!

I have spotted a car that's local to me and I was wondering if any of you know it?

- Click Here -

It's literally 10 minutes up the road from me and seems to be a nice examp!e.

I've not viewed the car (in fact I have not viewed any C6s as yet), so I don't know if it's a good one.

Seems cheap to me, but the proofs in the pudding!

I'm a little concerned that the CD is broken as I'm not sure how easy it is to locate a replacement or what a good used unit is likely to cost.

I'd be very grateful to hear from you if you know this car or if you know of a good example that is for sale.

Cheers!

FraserG   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 09:26pm
Member No: #2011
Doesn't it look nice. They look good with the suspension lowered and photographed from a low angle. From the other side of the planet, New Zealand, she looks choice and well maintained. Good luck with your search.
MGmike   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 11:49pm
Member No: #3151
Looks okay for the money but give Robert at BL Auto's a ring to see what he knows of the history. Particularly things like timing belt change etc.

The CD (head unit) is an easy 15 min swap and I can sell you one from a spares car I just stripped Prices for a unit that old aren't high and you can search eBay for RT3 to get an idea of the market price.

If you can, get someone who knows the model to view it with you or pop along to the winter meet at British Motor Museum, Gaydon, Warwickshire on Sunday 26th January. That must be just around the corner from you?

There'll be all sorts of "experts" to get advice off and some you shouldn't listen to
druid   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 11:50pm
Thanks Fraser!

I take it the C6 is a pretty rare beast in the land of the long white cloud?
druid   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 11:56pm
Thanks Mike. Yeah Gaydon is 10 minutes up the road too! I will pop along and meet some of the gang.

And if I buy the car In question i will be sure to give you a shout to enquire about an RT3 head unit.

Cheers
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 09:33am

Member No: #1
MGmike wrote ...

Looks okay for the money but give Robert at BL Auto's a ring to see what he knows of the history. Particularly things like timing belt change etc.

Looking at the pictures the one of the 'bill' from BL shows timing belt, water pump, thermostat housing, front discs and pads, power steering pipe etc. etc. all done in January 2017 so the car should be good to go (I grabbed the image so you can see it better if you click on it)

Website
David Hallworth   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 12:34pm

Member No: #90
If it's been maintained by BL Auto's and the receipts are there to show the work that has been done I'd not be worried about it.

It looks a nice car and doesn't seem expensive.

David.
druid   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 01:04pm

C6Dave wrote ...

Looking at the pictures the one of the 'bill' from BL shows timing belt, water pump, thermostat housing, front discs and pads, power steering pipe etc. etc. all done in January 2017 so the car should be good to go (I grabbed the image so you can see it better if you click on it)

Great stuff! Thanks for helping out - much appreciated.
druid   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 01:21pm
David Hallworth wrote ...

If it's been maintained by BL Auto's and the receipts are there to show the work that has been done I'd not be worried about it.

It looks a nice car and doesn't seem expensive.

David.

Thanks David. Seems worth my while taking a closer look.

Is it crazy to use one as daily driver?
I realise that they can be expensive to maintain and repair.
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 03:47pm

druid wrote ...

No but be aware that lots of 'short' runs will give poor mpg, even for a diesel and will shorten servicing intervals plus too many 'sleeping policeman' (speed bumps) can have a detrimental effect on the suspension joints.
Website
druid   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 04:03pm
C6Dave wrote ...

druid wrote ...

No but be aware that lots of 'short' runs will give poor mpg, even for a diesel and will shorten servicing intervals plus too many 'sleeping policeman' (speed bumps) can have a detrimental effect on the suspension joints.

Thanks for the advice. Thankfully no speed bumps on my commute and fairly open road driving in the main. It's about 12 miles to drive to work, so 25 miles there and back. Just fancy something a bit more luxurious to drive in my dotage.
David Hallworth   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 07:07pm

Member No: #90
You only live once, go for it
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 07:13pm

David Hallworth wrote ...

You only live once, go for it

I have, 4 times as have some others
Website
druid   
Thu Jan 16 2020, 10:28pm
Thanks chaps. I've arranged to view the car tomorrow and will report back with my findings then.Thanks for the advice and encouragement thus far.
Trainman   
Fri Jan 17 2020, 01:21pm

Member No: #86
It's worth mentioning that quite a few of us will be at Gaydon on Sunday 26th January 2020 if you fancy coming along and having a chat. In actual fact both Robert and Barry rom BL Autos are also attending........ subtle hint
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club