C6 3.0 V6 HDI glow plugs

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
CorneSoutAfrica   
Thu Jan 02 2020, 09:26pm
Member No: #2836
Hi Everyone

I a currently hunting for glow plugs specific to my 2.7 which I got by the way. Well in my search I was curious to see the difference between the 2.7 and 3.0 glow plugs. Strangely there are very limited availability on the internet for the 3.0. Many of the manufacturers don't list glow plugs for the 3.0. Am I going crazy or is there limited suppliers and why is that? They surely do fail?
David Hallworth   
Thu Jan 02 2020, 10:09pm

Member No: #90
Spares for the 3.0 engine are very limited and tend to be Citroen only for the majority of things. An awful lot of 3.0 HDi parts are unique to the 3.0 HDi too which isn't helpful and makes them expensive as the 3.0's were produced in small numbers.

Citroen list 2.7 glow plugs are part number 596077, the 3.0 glow plugs are 5960E7.

No idea what the difference are though!

David.
David Hallworth   
Thu Jan 02 2020, 10:14pm

Member No: #90
Update:

From what I've found online, the 2.7 plugs operate at 11v, the 3.0 plugs operate at 7v according to the fitment detail on the Euro Car Parts website.

From Citroen the 2.7 plugs are £26 each, the 3.0 ones are £28.50 so there's not much in them price wise.

Word of warning though, I struggled with replacing the glow plugs on my old 2.7. The front bank all came out perfectly. The rears were a different story. I put penetrating oil on them all and left them over night before starting work. I was using a 1/4" ratchet and long 8mm socket to loosen them. I was rocking them backwards and forwards. It took a lot of patience and rocking backwards and forwards in small movements to get them out.

I can't work out if I'd have been better doing it when the car was hot or not though.

David.
CorneSoutAfrica   
Fri Jan 03 2020, 08:33am
Hi David

Thanks for the warning. I will be careful. Regarding the 3.0 glowplugs. Did further digging after my post. Also saw they say the glow plugs work at 7V. But also the operating temperature seems to be way higher at 1300degrees celsius. Which seems to be ceramic tip glow-plugs. I saw that there are ceramic glow-plugs on the market that operates at 11v. So was wondering due to the efficiency of the 3.0 compared to the 2.7. Will there be any benefits in using the ceramic higher operating temperature glow-plugs in the 2.7? I searched for a suitable glow-plug. But seems only the 3.0 gets the ceramic tipped glow plug. 2.7 only the ordinary steel tipped. Does anyone know if there are a ceramic tipped glow plug available for the 2.7 engine?
onthecut   
Fri Jan 03 2020, 10:06am
Member No: #2793
Just to emphasise David's advice ---- if the 3.0 plugs are anything like the 2.7 in terms of fitment and removal, they can be an absolute nightmare to remove. I think it is the only job I've done in living memory that I really wished I hadn't started.

I got five ot of six out, with the sixth breaking in situ, even though by then it was clear of the thread. Bought the proper removal kit, only to find it wouldn't work because the centre electrode had broken level with the top of the plug, preventing tapping of the inside of the plug. I decided not to risk having to remove the head and simply left it in place. A coupl of thousand miles later it hasn't blown out or moved in the slightest.

Of the five I did get out, the threads in the head seemed pretty horrible and difinitely benefitted from running down with the appropriate tap to clean them up. If you do this, take suitable steps to prevent the ingress of fragments into the cylinder. Having replaced the five, I also replaced the control module, as it was throwing up the common error message that it wasn't working. With a new module fitted, I still get the not working message and really have no idea whether my five new plugs are functioning or not. 'Complete waste of time' is the phrase that comes to mind !

Again, if the 3.0 is similar to the 2.7, check carefully any vacuum piping you have to move out of the way. On mine, they were unbelievably brittle.

Mike.
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 03 2020, 01:20pm

Member No: #1
CorneSoutAfrica wrote ...

Hi Everyone

I a currently hunting for glow plugs specific to my 2.7 which I got by the way.

'Beru' were the OEM Glow plug suppliers for the C6 - Click Here -
Website
CorneSoutAfrica   
Fri Jan 03 2020, 02:23pm
Hi Mike.

Thanks for the headsup. Im quite reluctant to repair my glow plugs now. Had to remove the injectors 3 months ago when I got the car. I cleaned the intake manifolds. The injectors came out quite easily. Seems like I won’t be lucky this time round
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 03 2020, 04:28pm

CorneSoutAfrica wrote ...

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the headsup. Im quite reluctant to repair my glow plugs now.

The glow plugs on the C6 work on 'pre heat' when it's cold to make starting easier.

They continue to work post startup to reduce 'emissions' (basically blue smoke) gradually switching off when the engine coolant reaches over 40c or your reving at 3050 rpm - Click Here -

Given your in a warmer climate than we are in Europe, non functioning 'glow plugs' might not be a major issue for you and given the risks associated with changing them are possibly better ignored
Website
Tjensen   
Fri Jan 03 2020, 07:18pm
Member No: #954
My standard supplier on the net is listing 7 different glowplugs to C6 3.0 Hdi, so they should not be difficult to get (not changed mine, but bought a set)
C6Dave   
Sat Jan 04 2020, 10:09am

I bought a set of 6 Bosch for circa £55 from eBay - Click Here - for the last 2.7 C6 I owned but never fitted them after reading the problems with changing them so sold them on when I sold the car.

I have changed the relay on the current car but that is as far as I am going as it's not getting used over the winter months.

Looking at listings for the 3.0 Hdi I can only find 'quality brand' ones listed individually though I have seen a set of 6 'YOU.s' from Germany listed for £25 - Click Here -

Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club