Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Gearbox Oil Cooler - A Warning...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Tjensen   
Fri Nov 01 2019, 12:53pm
Member No: #954
The anti-freeze is a puzzle to me. The original G33 was red/pink and now the same part no is green/blue in color. So after new water pump and tanks etc they have given me the blue/green. But in the aftermarket it is the pink one that is compatible ??? Probably the magic symbol is G30/G33 and silicat-free and not the colour ?
Fraunie   
Sat Nov 02 2019, 12:58pm
Member No: #3763
Exactly!
When I have drained my cooling system red/pink (I presume G30) came out (my car was always maintained by Citroen).
But: The original G33 is blue/green.
The real difference is Silicate-NonSilicate.
Tjensen   
Sat Nov 02 2019, 06:23pm
Member No: #954
The G33 changed color at some point in time, from red to blue. And the recent blue/green variant is then out-of-sync with most others (can be mixed with red, but not blue ???)
David Hallworth   
Tue Nov 05 2019, 09:06pm

Member No: #90
I'm about to put an update in another thread, however, I bought a 3.0 HDi C6 in France at the weekend. I was under the impression the head gasket had gone as it was advertised as having oil in the water and the engine was overheating...

When I got to the car it was pretty obvious pretty quickly that it had exactly the same fault on it as my 407 did... The gearbox oil cooler has burst and has filled the cooling system with ATF. Thankfully, it doesn't look like as much of it has gotten into the gearbox as it did on my 407.

The cooling system was utterly full of it though and that's what was causing it to get hot.

This car has full main dealer service history from the same dealer so can only assume the correct coolant has been used during flushes.

There is no way way I'd be taking a risk on my own cars now.

So far we've spent 6-8 hours flushing the cooling system to get rid of the oil and we've used 2 tubs of auto transmission flush and probably 20 lites of gearbox oil.

David.
Fraunie   
Wed Nov 06 2019, 08:25am
There was a similar thread in the German (ACC-) Forum and somebody was so nervous that he bought a new cooler and after that change he did some surgery on the old one:

Fraunie   
Wed Nov 06 2019, 08:28am
By the way, it isn't exactly a "cooler", more a "warmer"...

It's heating up the ATF to get the right temperature quicker.
David Hallworth   
Tue Dec 17 2019, 08:50pm

Member No: #90
Well, the 407 is finished...

I replaced the oil cooler with a 2nd hand cooler and I've flushed about 70 litres of AW-1 (JWS 3324) transmission fluid through it. The fluid coming out is now as clean as the fluid going in so here's hoping... [-o<

I had 10 litres of Millers Oils JWS 3324 I'd ordered from Opie Oils that was £62, then I used 3 x 20 litre tubs of Smith & Allen JWS 3324 that were £84.99 each... So it's had over £300 worth of gearbox oil to get it flushed.

I also dread to think how many gallons of water were flushed through it with the hose in the header tank and a pipe routed into a big tub to catch the oil coming out of the cooling system. I've spent hours on it.

It's done about 4-500 miles since the problems were identified. Over 20 litres of fluid was just changed after running it up and down the gears on the ramp before it even got near the road. I was beginning to wonder if the fluid was going to come clean but thankfully it did.

Yesterday I replaced the coolant bottle as I couldn't get the oil and staining off the old one and did another oil change before doing the 63 mile round trip to the office today.

Tonight, I've done the final flush and set the level in the gearbox so now it's up to the gearbox gods to see if the car is going to behave or not.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to Peterborough for work... let's hope it behaves!!

David.
cruiserphil   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 08:05am

Member No: #38
Best of luck with it David,

Phil C.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club