C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Airco failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
pauldubber   
Mon Dec 16 2019, 12:46pm
Member No: #3136
When the outside temp is below 6 degree celsius, the airco of my c6 stops working and no moisture is removed from inside the car. Anybody familiar with this fact?
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 16 2019, 02:35pm

Member No: #1
No errors showing via Lexia?

Have a read of - Click Here - as there are a couple of things that can 'switch off' the air con compressor.
Website
pauldubber   
Mon Dec 16 2019, 02:47pm
Member No: #3136
No error showing via the lexia, airco comes back when above 6 degrees celsius
cruiserphil   
Tue Dec 17 2019, 10:02am

Member No: #38
Hello pauldubber,

My understanding from my experience of to railway vehicle air con is that the air conditioning compressor is inhibited at low temperatures to prevent freezing of the refrigerant in the condenser. So this is what may be happening in your case.

Best regards,

Phil C.
keithc   
Thu Dec 19 2019, 01:42pm
Member No: #2584
- Click Here -

You are the first person I've heard having the same issue as me. Mine stops at 4 degrees. All I can find out is like Phil says, that the aircon stops below a certain temp to save the compressor. All I can think is it could be a fault flap not letting fresh air in or something. I was going to try changing the flaps sometime to see if it helps.

You are more than welcome to try first if you

rwb   
Thu Dec 19 2019, 04:09pm
Member No: #1988
You might be able to get more information in parameter measurements.

For example, if there is less than about 1.5 bar of gas pressure then it won't run (and will show "low pressure safety check: active"). IIRC there are other conditions under which the computer will not allow the AC to run.
Website
keithc   
Thu Dec 19 2019, 10:10pm
I had my aircon serviced (tested/drained/refilled etc) by a well recommended crowd and put in a new genuine Citroen cabin sensor to no avail. I also meant to say if I put my finger on the temp sensor in the wing mirror and the temperature on the central display goes over 5 degrees the air con starts to work again.
cruiserphil   
Fri Dec 20 2019, 09:38am

Keith C,

You and pauldubber appear to have found the threshold temperature for operation. I would believe all is fine. The trains I referred to have air conditioning by Stone Iberica. I distinctly remember them explaining the reason for the lower ambient temperature cut off. On these trains it's 15degC. I remember them also explaining how they also limit cooling in ambient tempertaures from 40degC upwards to minimise the thermal shock experienced when moving suddenly from a cool interior to those kind of ambient temperatures which could cause people to collapse!

Best regards,

Phil C.
keithc   
Fri Dec 20 2019, 12:43pm
My issue is why the car fogs up instantly when the air con shuts down. That's the problem I have which can make driving dangerous. There must be an issue if others have no issue with their cabin fogging up.
cruiserphil   
Fri Dec 20 2019, 03:27pm

Hello Keith,

I'd be definitely looking for some kind of moisture source.

Best regards,

Phil C.
keithc   
Fri Dec 20 2019, 08:37pm
I have done and the car is bone dry. No damp carpets or boot or anything. It's so frustrating! So much so I've contemplated taking out the interior and carpets just to be sure. But I've not been brave enough to yet!
Jas16   
Sun Dec 22 2019, 09:12pm
Member No: #2994
try picking a temperature on the Auto setting and leaving it there. I assume that when the air re-circulation stays internal and the air con is off, windows mist up, so you may have to force fresh, external air to be drawn in.
keithc   
Sun Dec 22 2019, 10:19pm
Ya I press the button to force fresh air in. Doesn't do a whole pile. I've to put the fan speed to max and keep it there just to keep the front window and both sides partially clear. Lucky I've a sunroof which I keep tilted which helps a good bit.

That's why I think I may have a flap issue stopping the fresh air getting in properly.
David Hallworth   
Mon Dec 23 2019, 12:56am

Member No: #90
I remember when collecting my 3.0 we heard the air conditioning compressor engaging and disengaging.

When it came back from having the gearbox rebuilt I wasn't hearing it at all, then tonight when the temperature had risen a bit I noticed it working again.

It never twigged but it appears mine isn't clicking in and out below about 6 degrees too. Mine also mists up which is irritating. I'm sure on my old 2007 2.7 that the compressor used to work at all temperatures, this 2012 seems to do funny things!

David.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club