Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Wonky suspension

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rwb   
Mon Nov 25 2019, 09:14pm
Member No: #1988
After I got it back from getting the driveshafts done I've been getting Suspension faulty.

The error comes up with the SERVICE light. The SERVICE light goes off after a few seconds, most of the time Suspension faulty stays in the trip computer log.

I'd say that the suspension has gone very hard in normal mode, and has gone very bouncy in high (25mph) mode.

I'm pretty sure the main fault is: C1195 front axle average movement because this is always there and is permanent. I also sometimes get:
* C1166 front static pressure sensor signal (sometimes permanent, sometimes intermittent),
* C1163 Rear left travel sensor signal (always intermittent so far), and
* C1169 Rear static pressure sensor signal (also always intermittent so far).

In parameter measurements in Diagbox there seems to be a noticeable difference between the left and right height values -- but I have no idea what is normal here.

What's going on?!

Website
MGmike   
Mon Nov 25 2019, 10:33pm
Member No: #3151
check all the hight sensors are operating correctly. After being on the ramp for the driveshaft change the senors (or more correctly, there actuating rods) may be in a mess. Try a good penetrating fluid on each of the balls on the rods and see where that takes you..
rwb   
Tue Nov 26 2019, 04:47am

Where are they?
Website
321dave   
Tue Nov 26 2019, 10:47am
Member No: #614
rwb wrote ...

Where are they?

They are (the rods) connected to the lower wishbone (and move up and down with the car on the move) for the front suspension. If dirty they can be hard to spot. Best go after the cable/connection and it will lead your eye to it. It will be very dirty maybe even rusted a little. That's the connecting Rod anyway. Spray that mini ball joint with a spray of your choice and see if things go somewhat normal.
rwb   
Tue Nov 26 2019, 03:54pm
Well: found them -- since they're in plain sight.
Given the enormous difficulty getting the (long) driveshaft out I can imagine they've been 'disturbed'.

Gave them a squirt of penetrating fluid, went for a short drive and error didn't reappear until later than usual.

C1195 Front axle average movement
C1166 Front static pressure sensor signal

I thought the car looked a bit up at the front so I measured the arch heights and not so much:

FP: 77cm RD: 75.5cm
RP: 73cm RD: 73.5cm

Don't know whether to risk using it or not for 300 miles tomorrow.
It's pretty nasty with the suspension gone hard.

The [%*^#@!] thing took about 1.5L of LDS and about 1L of coolant so I must have leaks somewhere...
Website
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 26 2019, 06:25pm

Member No: #1
rwb wrote ...

The [%*^#@!] thing took about 1.5L of LDS and about 1L of coolant so I must have leaks somewhere...

Not necessarily if the car has had work done
Website
rwb   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 10:33am
Same two faults back this morning.

It seems that if you go below 10mph then the suspension goes back to normal until the next BEEP when it goes hard again.

It seems there are three possible courses of action:

(1) Replace the link arms and ball joints on the hieght sensors as described on this post: - Click Here -

(2) Also replace the height sensors. (About £60 each.)
5273J7 front left (red)
527583 front right (yellow) RP 5275J8

(3) Replace the front pressure sensor (5273.A2, about £85).
Website
rwb   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 10:40am
Here is an interesting page: - Click Here -

It gives the part number (the long number that begins with a 9) and another part code for the pressure sensor 5273.A2. If in turn you look those up then you can find much cheaper parts but which are described as "fuel pressure sensor". Do we believe this page is correct?
Website
Trainman   
Sat Nov 30 2019, 01:20pm

Member No: #86
I would check to see if the brackets holding the sensors have been twisted or bent out of shape, I seem to recall David Hallworth having a similar issue on his old C6.

You can get the brackets for about £5 I think
rwb   
Sun Dec 01 2019, 05:09pm
Well I tried reprogramming according to this post - Click Here -
and it failed, so I now also have the "suspension not calibrated" fault.

So I guess the next step is to try new brackets and sensors.

It's taken about a litre of LDS and a litre of coolant so it must have leaks, although I don't have any puddles on the drive. (There were some massive puddles at the gym but I can't be certain that they're mine.)

The power steering has been going heavy today -- after topping up the LDS. So maybe the hose & jubilee clips repair hasn't worked.
Website
rwb   
Thu Dec 05 2019, 03:55pm
Should I be able to work out from this why I've got "front axle average movement" error? (The error was cleared to start with, then came back about half way through this 100 second capture.)

I suspect the problem is on the front right because this has started after having new driveshafts and getting the long one out was traumatic.

I want to see some live data that either contradicts or is consistent with this hypothesis!

Website
rwb   
Sun Dec 08 2019, 11:26am
Got new brackets, new link rods, and a new yellow sensor.

Although that seems a but implausible as a fix, especially since I don't understand exactly why it's upset.

Tried to pry the link rod off but it wasn't for moving, so I've given up before I break it.

Website
rwb   
Sun Dec 15 2019, 10:04am
Definitely bent.
Finally managed to get a new bracket and link on the right hand side yesterday. It hasn't fixed it but strangely the error takes longer to come up after setting off.

The difference in the suspension between when it's working and when the error comes up is astonishing.

Going to do the bracket on the left hand side today.

And if that still doesn't pacify it then it'll be on to sensors...
Website
rwb   
Sun Dec 15 2019, 11:17am
[%*^#@!] hell it works! After changing the other bracket.

Well, works is a bit of a strong term around here; let's say not obviously broken.

It looked fine at first, but when I got it off clearly it is also bent, but in a different direction.

Strangely one side has a 13mm bolt (which I think is correct) and the other has a torx head screw with a 10mm nut.

So I think I'll risk taking it for a 300 mile round trip tomorrow.

Next: front pads and rear drop links -- which are just consumables.
Website
rwb   
Mon Dec 16 2019, 10:30am
Nope
The BEEP returned before I even got as far as the motorway this morning.
However, the suspension doesn't seem to be going hard after the BEEP like it did before.
Same fault in Disgbox: front axle average movement.
Sensors next?
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club