Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 Top of Engine Oil Leak --- most likely places ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Fri Jun 09 2023, 08:56pm
Member No: #2793
Going back a while, mine started dribbling a little oil down the engine which became visible at the gearbox end and underneath. With some research, I found the seals for the push fit oil separator device were rock hard. Replaced them and that seemed to fix it.

Just recently however it has started depositing a more noticeable amount of oil, predominantly at the gearbox end, with a little showing at the belts end.I'm pretty certain it is coming from the valley area and running one way or the other depending on the orientation of the car. I have removed and checked the separator again, which appears OK and swapped the oil filter plastic section for another in case of a hairline crack I might have missed. No result -- it still seems to be leaking.

So my big question is are there any other known leak spots around or in the valley area ? I suppose it could be a rocker cover joint, but as they has never been disturbed I don't really see why they would start leaking.

Any ideas most welcome.

Mike.
MGmike   
Sat Jun 10 2023, 07:00am
Member No: #3151
Hi Mike,
there aren't that many sources of oil in the valley and, of those that are there, there's no history of failures AFAIK.

The only sources I can think of (apart from the breather system you've resealed) are the base for the oil filter which has the oil/fuel coolers build in, the HP diesel pump or as you mention, a valve cover.

I'll be interested to know what you find.

Regards
onthecut   
Sat Jun 10 2023, 07:45am
Thanks for the suggestions.

After a couple of hundred miles or so yesterday, I'm not actually sure this morning whether it has emitted any more oil, or not. Certainly not enough to make any perceptible difference on the stick. With so much clutter over the top of the engine, it's hard to know how much residual oil may be pooled in nooks and crannies.

If it is still leaking, I will have to get to the bottom of it, or wind up with no bushes left underneath after the oil has eaten them !

Will post back if I find more.

Mike.
onthecut   
Sun Jun 18 2023, 03:01pm
After another weeks running, I think it's dry again -- so I'm presuming the leak was related to the breather seals. Can only assume I had something a little off when I first replaced them.

All I would suggest is that if you are working in that area of the engine and are going to be removing the breather, then have a couple of new seals to hand as if the excisting ones are original, they will likely be rock hard.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club