C6 Front wishbone Rear bush

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cruiserphil   
Fri Nov 14 2014, 09:04am

Member No: #38
G,

That's correct. Because of the intermediate joint on the long shaft you can move it to one side. You'll still have to release the hub from the shaft but when you pull the hub clear you can move the shaft out of the way without pulling it from the box or releasing the intermediate bearing!

Best of luck with it,

Best regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Fri Nov 14 2014, 09:20am
Member No: #21
Phil, thanks for the clarification.

So wheel off, screw on hub reaction tool (2m long bar that screws onto hub with two wheel bolts), remove drive shaft nut, release wishbone from hub and pull away from driveshaft, move driveshaft out of the way etc.

The Citroen instructions also state that the suspension needs to be depressured.

Aside, I use one of those plastic coated 17mm deep impact sockets, on a breaker bar to remove and tighten the wheel bolts. After about 2 years of work, the one I have cracked straight through at one of the internal corners.

thanks again
G
cruiserphil   
Fri Nov 14 2014, 06:43pm

G,

The depressurise is to give you ease of movement. Also I remove the drop link securing the hydraulic strut to the suspension assembly as this gives you plenty of movement on the assembly to get the hub clear of the driveshaft so you can move the shaft aside to clear the wishbone mounting bolt it obscures. By the way, did you notice in the instructions there's a reference dimension given for the deflection of the wishbone to achieve before you tighten it up? I used a simple level laser I had and a ruler to get this dimension accurately.

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Wed Dec 03 2014, 01:06pm
Member No: #614

Thanks. The suspension upright bushes were gone. The ones that bolt through the fork of the wishbone. Was relatively easy to spot that with a good firm shake of the wheel. No way was I paying £600 for the entire uprights so new bushes bought. I made the decision that best ones were those sourced by Greame, (greame6023) who sells on Ebay. £50 the pair.

HI All,
im currently trying to source a good replacement lower bush for the front pivot support. Ebay has a couple at various prices? Not sure if they will last though. Also will that bush pop out or needs to be removed with a press or tool? thanks again.

kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Wed Dec 03 2014, 02:28pm
321Dave, the pivot bushes on both my wishbones (the pivot bushes are the forward bushes pressed into the wishbone, with a vertical centre bolt axis)were in perfectly good condition and I only needed to replace the troublesome rear bush. When the pivot bush is worn, I will probably replace the entire wishbone with a new Citroen item: the wishbone is alloy, eventually it will fail through fatigue.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Sat Apr 25 2015, 08:31am
Member No: #1163
gmerry wrote ...

321Dave, the pivot bushes on both my wishbones (the pivot bushes are the forward bushes pressed into the wishbone, with a vertical centre bolt axis)were in perfectly good condition and I only needed to replace the troublesome rear bush. When the pivot bush is worn, I will probably replace the entire wishbone with a new Citroen item: the wishbone is alloy, eventually it will fail through fatigue.

Regards
G
The wishbones on mine are both steel, G...
frenchie   
Tue Dec 01 2015, 12:02pm
Member No: #41
Hi all!

I have just made the change of rear bushings on the lower front wishbones.
(Rear replacement wishbone bushing 10 mm lower)
and I actually disagree when it it comes to the discussion about a need for 10 mm bushings underneath the lower, "new edition" bushings.

First, the lower version is a development from Citroën and either it came along the bigger engines to help with a lesser amount of movement up/down on acceleration/braking. Or, this was just a general improvement on all models.

Since this lower part is not mounted on bushings from the factory there shouldn't be any problem mounting it directly "as is" on an older C6. The angle of the line around which the lower wishbone pivots is slightly tilted upwards. Adjustment of camber directly affects anti-dive and most racing cars have a setting per track for optimum performance. If Citroën recommends this as part of their improvements then it should also work with new part on old model.

Also, the old bracket which supports the front height corrector should be kept in its original position. Take a look at my comparison image

Yes, it differs 10 mm's. Yes the hole for the height corrector assembly is also 10 mm higher. But think again; this is when the wishbone bushing hole is centred!

When the new part is mounted, the small hole for the height sensor bracket will be in its original place. The only difference, a part from the 10 mm lower placement of the wishbone's point of pivot, is that the old bracket support "claw" no longer has a bushing sticking out as support all away around. Therefore the only two points that remains in the same position is the small hole for the screw and the lower surface of the bushing sticking out. I adjusted the position of the height bracket by pushing it forward as much as possible (setting the height sensor as low as possible) and locked the screw. Also, it actually can be locked in place if you use a swivel head socket wrench.

The started up my Lexia II and made the proper height adjustment. I know I must do a toe-in adjustment to compensate for the different set up.
gmerry   
Tue Dec 01 2015, 12:10pm
Frenchie, I purchased a brand new replacement wishbone from Citroen and can assure you that there was no design change to the suspension geometry using a different height at the rear of wishbone .

The aftermarket rear bush simply has the wrong geometry for the C6 (because they are designed to fit other PSA cars with different subframes).

Regards
G
frenchie   
Tue Dec 01 2015, 01:46pm
Member No: #41
OK, that might be the case. However, I'm not that worried over the slight difference. I'll get back to you with a proper angle calculation of the caster-change.
gmerry   
Tue Dec 01 2015, 04:25pm
Hi Frenchie, nice to see someone doing some original thinking / calcs for the C6. There's plenty of foibles on this car that need a bit of problem solving to sort the problems as they age.

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Sun Nov 17 2019, 09:44pm

The 3.0HDi is now due front wishbone rear bush replacement. When I did this job before on the 07 and ex 06 cars I purchased complete wishbones from Citroen due to the unavailability of an aftermarket direct replacement rear bush. The one that is available is well documented on the forum and can be fitted, but requires shimming to achieve correct alignment.

As I had kept the 2 pairs of front wishbones that I had replaced, I decided that this time I would not buy new but would refurbish a pair of wishbones with a pair of aftermarket rear bushes that I had purchased several years ago. These would require shims of 10mm.

I searched the forum to see if I had missed any update on the rear bush saga and also to see what members had used for shims. It was while reading this thread I spotted a comment made by member Nicky G. in May 2013 which I didn't pick up on before:
BIG PS! : I think I've found what looks like the C6 bush for wishbone rear. It is Spidan part number 411756. I have not yet figured out how to buy the [%*^#@!] yet, though!

I decided to do a Google search on Spidan 411756 and found it on euspares.co.uk. The photo of the part did look promising (as Nicky G. said), so I decided to take a leap of faith and ordered 2 off.

And the great news is....this part is the correct replacement.

The photo below shows the aftermarket part that is normally offered for the C6 on the left, the original Citroen bushing in the centre and the Spidan part on the right.

Here is the original Citroen bush and the Spidan replacement.

The part comes with a replacement rear spacer

The euspares website also shows photos of an ABS and a Meyle bush that look correct, but I've taken my leap of faith on Spidan.

I removed the rear bushes and spacers from a pair of wishbones. I used the flat side of a bearing puller against the rear of the spacer which removed both components together.

I have not fitted the new bushes yet as I want to clean and paint the wishbones first (it's too cold for painting at the moment). I'll also replace the centre bushes which as documented in the forum are not a problem in aftermarket supply.

I hope this is good news and will update on fitting when I complete it. And of course, belated thanks to Nicky G.

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Mon Nov 18 2019, 01:38pm
Well done Phil,
that's great news. I'm getting a set now as well. I also kept my originals in a box for some reason. Thanks again for posting!

regards
321dave
cruiserphil   
Mon Nov 18 2019, 05:28pm

Thanks 321Dave,

I just didn't feel right throwing out the wishbones originally and I had decided to go with the shimmed solution this time. But now this sorts the wishbone dilemma without modification. Even the centre rubber bush in the Spidan assembly mirrors that of the original. Does this mean all wearable bushes are available aftermarket for the front suspension?

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Tue Nov 19 2019, 08:11am
cruiserphil wrote ...

Thanks 321Dave,

I just didn't feel right throwing out the wishbones originally and I had decided to go with the shimmed solution this time. But now this sorts the wishbone dilemma without modification. Even the centre rubber bush in the Spidan assembly mirrors that of the original. Does this mean all wearable bushes are available aftermarket for the front suspension?

Best regards,

Phil C.

I was the same, so much metal to throw away and I guess reuse of these components is always great if you can find the correct bushes for them. Thanks for that Phil.

regards
321Dave
Tjensen   
Tue Nov 19 2019, 10:49am
Member No: #954
I just changed the problematic lower bush (the one mounted the "wrong" way) that has no Citroen part no. This was the second time, and this time we (=my garagae) used polyurethan bushes. Very pleased with the feeling of the car after this and it should last as long as the car (one example - Click Here -
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club