Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

[SOLVED] Mobile deflector faulty

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Radox   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 11:54am
Member No: #4044
I need some help. Today, after driving for about an hour on the highway, I parked the car and noticed that the deflector on the boot lid hasn't retracted (it was in the highest position, which is only activated over 125 km/h). That was pretty strange and I tried to push it down, but it wouldn't budge. About 30 mins later, I started the car and drove away and then the SERVICE light came up, together with a message "Mobile deflector faulty". After again driving for about an hour, I parked the car and it still stays in the highest position without retracting

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong? I have absolutely no time to visit dealers in the next weeks and leaving the car at a dealer shop is not an option. Can I wash the car with the deflector elevated or the water will damage the exposed components below? Will further driving with the deflector up damage it somehow?

C6Dave   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 02:29pm

Member No: #1
Washing won't hurt it but if you have some WD40, Ferrosol or similar give it a spray, driving should be OK.

Deflector can be activated by pushing the right hand stalk down immediately after switching the ignition off so maybe you caught it?

Don't try 'forcing' it down.

Check the fuse in the boot:

It's F4 15 Amp
Website
Radox   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 03:24pm
Thanks for the info. Will check that damned fuse later. Where exactly do I need to spray the WD40? At the hinges? Or at the cylinder in the middle? I happen to have a bottle lying around and will give it a try.
321dave   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 03:31pm
Member No: #614
Radox wrote ...

Thanks for the info. Will check that damned fuse later. Where exactly do I need to spray the WD40? At the hinges? Or at the cylinder in the middle? I happen to have a bottle lying around and will give it a try.

I spray the hinges once a month every month. Stuck once on me, but never since!
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 03:34pm

321dave wrote ...

I spray the hinges once a month every month. Stuck once on me, but never since!

I spray Ferrosol 'everywhere'
Website
Kaloteck   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 04:54pm
Member No: #1271
I'm curious… You guys really feel the difference, driving with the deflector up or down?
Radox   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 06:09pm
You guys are geniuses! I sprayed the stuck deflector with WD40 (very amply might I add), then drove off and ... it closed. Now it works perfectly again. Thank you very much!
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 06:45pm

Kaloteck wrote ...

I'm curious… You guys really feel the difference, driving with the deflector up or down?

Honestly, no, I can't feel any difference even when driving in France where it can legally be fully deployed unlike here in the UK.

The suspension at that speed with the spoiler fully deployed has already lowered the car by 15 mm "to improve stability by lowering the centre of gravity also helping to cut fuel consumption by reducing the CdA of the front area and reducing sensitivity to side winds" (according to a Citroen Press Release)

The 2.2 only has a small fixed lip on the boot lid and no one seems to complain about the handling at motorway speed limits so is an 'active' one actually needed?

It would be interesting to see any 'wind tunnel' tests Citroen did on it IF they were available.
Website
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 12 2019, 06:48pm

Radox wrote ...

You guys are geniuses! I sprayed the stuck deflector with WD40 (very amply might I add), then drove off and ... it closed. Now it works perfectly again. Thank you very much!

Buy some Ferrosol - Click Here - if you can in your country, it's much more useful than WD40
Website
Fraunie   
Wed Nov 13 2019, 07:25am
Member No: #3763
I would think the deflector comes into play when you are going over 100 mph (or so).

I remember that the first Audi TT (similar round rear end) hadn't a deflector and some were flying off the the Autobahn...
Radox   
Wed Nov 13 2019, 09:49am
Fraunie wrote ...

I would think the deflector comes into play when you are going over 100 mph (or so).

You are completely right. For all out there who think that the deflector is just a gimmick - I have several times driven the C6 with over 200 km/h (that's about 125 mp/h) on the Autobahn here in Germany. That's pretty fast, yet the car feels incredibly stable and easy to control. I think a lot of the credit for this goes to the rear deflector, because when I drove my "deflectorless" Ford Focus with about 180 km/h it felt as if I was about to fly off the road
Tjensen   
Wed Nov 13 2019, 02:34pm
Member No: #954
I spray the hinges and mechanism with thin spray and lithium grease 4-6 times a year. The deflector will "self adjust" after it has been stuck for a period (ice and snow, dirt). Mine was stuck open for a short period after I got the car, but never after I started the simple maintenance.
joopajaa   
Wed Nov 20 2019, 07:58am
Member No: #3261
Not sure if this is relevant but I put a switch to the fuse inside to the trunk to stop the wing from moving when its freezing temperatures - to avoid any problems with snow and ice on the mechanism. So far so good - will be back "online" in April again...
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 20 2019, 11:16am

joopajaa wrote ...

Not sure if this is relevant but I put a switch to the fuse inside to the trunk to stop the wing from moving when its freezing temperatures - to avoid any problems with snow and ice on the mechanism. So far so good - will be back "online" in April again...

Not so much an issue for us in the UK but a very good idea for those Nordic country owners
Website
mixolydian   
Tue Jan 21 2020, 11:28am
Member No: #3382
Folks,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but for those who aren't aware it is possible to raise and lower the deflector by turning the mechanism manually. This can be accessed by removing the trip panel on the underside of the bootlid - there is a small 4mm female hex fitting exposed through a small aperture in the steel cover over the mechanism.

This can be turned using a male fitting and will raise / lower the deflector, according to the direction in which you turn it. If your deflector is stuck be vary careful as you don't want to apply too much torque and damage the mechanism. Hopefully this might help someone if they're stuck - see the pics attached.

Regards,

Mixolydian.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club