C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Returning to the fold...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Fri Nov 01 2019, 03:14pm

Member No: #90
Well, as I've detailed in my previous thread, the oil cooler on my 407 gearbox let go and destroyed the gearbox...

Before I found the cause I'd been thinking about changing it and had spent a long time looking at a lot of cars. I firmly blame Shaun and Steve for taking me out in a C6 and reminding me how nice they are so I went to see a C6 that I didn't get a good feeling about so I ended up walking away...

However, I've rejoined the fold and write this as I'm on my way to collect a C6 that I've bought blind...

Not only have I bought it blind, I've bought it broken, and I've bought it from France... according to my wife, 3 stupid things don't make it sensible...

Anyway, onto the car...

It's a 2011 built, 2012 registered 3.0 HDi in Storm Grey with Black Leather. From what I can make out from the seller it's had a lot of money spent on it recently including a full respray, new Michelin tyres all round, new brakes all round, and a new dashboard. All of this was done by Citroen in Le Havre.

Onto the fault... the car overheats after about 12km of driving. I'm assuming the worst in that the engine is toast. If the car is as tidy as I'm lead to believe it is and I'm correct in my assumption that the engine is knackered I'm going to take the 3.0 HDi engine from the 407 and have it put into the C6, if the C6 is a wreck I'm going to take the gearbox from it and have it put into the 407 so either way one car is going to save the other

I'm making my own version of planes, trains and automobiles with a couple of ferries thrown in for good measure this weekend as a friend and I recover it from France with a trailer and take it to BL Auto's for it's condemnation.

So, long story short, it looks like I've become a paid up member of the 3.0 HDi Owners Club

Here's the few pictures of it that I do have.

David.

C6Dave   
Fri Nov 01 2019, 06:32pm

Member No: #1
Not only have I bought it blind, I've bought it broken, and I've bought it from France... according to my wife, 3 stupid things don't make it sensible...

Hope it all goes well David and the cars issues aren't as bad as the seller thinks
Website
MGmike   
Fri Nov 01 2019, 07:11pm
Member No: #3151
Sounds like one of my projects!
Is it a left hooker? Do you have plans to convert it to RHD at some point?
Hattershaun   
Sat Nov 02 2019, 07:30am
Member No: #320
Good luck! Even if I am responsible for giving you a ride in one of my cars.
321dave   
Sat Nov 02 2019, 04:01pm
Member No: #614
Sorry to hear about your problems David. Hope you can sort the problems out in the end. Shame for that to happen as well. I guess it's one more mishap that can happen to the 2.7 or 3.0hdi engines. I think I'll put that part on the replace list. I replaced everything else except the gear box cooler and I've worked on the coolant system extensively over the last few years.
David Hallworth   
Thu Nov 07 2019, 01:42pm

Well, the weekend has been and gone, as has the trip to France!

We stayed in Dover on Friday last week before boarding the ferry from Dover to Calais. After a smooth enough crossing we got to Calais without any fuss and then embarked on the 150 mile trip through France to get to the C6. Upon arriving the house we picked it up from was nothing short of impressive!

We had a good look around the car and the only fault we could find was a wishbone bush that you could quite clearly see had no rubber left in it! The cooling system was indeed full of oil. We had a good look around and smelt the oil and I couldn't place it. It wasn't engine oil but it didn't smell anything like the mess on the 407. We took it for a very short trip and it became immediately apparent that the C6 was suffering from the same fate as the 407! The mess in the cooling system was infact gearbox oil

So, after a bit of deliberating, thinking I'd have 2 cars that were in the same pickle, I did the only sensible thing I could think of...

Paid the man, loaded it up and headed back north through France to Calais!

We drove the 2.5 - 3 hours north to Calais to get the ferry back to Blighty! Unfortunately the wind was horrendous all the way back. We got to Calais, got through French passport control, then through British passport control and then to the P&O check in desk where we were told the port was closed. They gave us tickets for the Euro Tunnel instead of having to wait for the port to reopen which was handy! So we did the 10 miles back the way we'd come for the tunnel, queued through checkin and passport control there and got on a train with the 2 cars and the trailer. 35 minutes after the train departed we arrived in Folkestone.

We were earlier back then expected so we managed to get a look at the car on Saturday evening. The cooling system was indeed full of gearbox oil, thankfully though, despite the gearbox contents being yellow, it wasn't full of water like the one on the 407 was. It looks like the oil has made it's way to the engine rather then going the other way.

On Sunday the cooling system was flushed, what a mess that was! It was like baby poo coming out of the return and it was flushed. It was nothing short of disgusting.

After a good 6 hours of flushing the coolant eventually became clean.

Robert changed the gearbox oil cooler and the gearbox has had over 30 lites of fluid flushed through it to get it red again. This was what came out after 3 flushes...

At this point, I left the car at BL Auto's and flew home to Glasgow as I had to be in Dundee for work first thing on Monday morning.

Robert has given the car a once over and found nothing other then the wishbone bush. This has now been changed. When it was road tested, he found a vibration which was traced to a dry inner CV joint. It looks like it's had a new gator on it but wasn't filled with grease. Hopefully it'll survive being repacked as a new driveshaft is £650 and is unique to the 3.0 HDI!

Although being advertised as overheating, the engine is as smooth as silk and is sooooo quiet. I think it's quieter then my 407 Coupe. It's now done a good few miles and there's no signs of it using any coolant or getting hot.

After a few oil changes the gearbox is smooth and seems to change up and down ok and kick down well too.

I'm hoping to get it back to Glasgow on Saturday.

I started the process of getting it into the UK today. I had to fill in a NOVA on the .gov website (Notification of Vehicle Arrival), this was easy enough and confirmed that there is no duty or VAT due on the car. Next up I looked at registering it. I need to obtain a Certificate of Conformity from Citroen. This is 1 x A4 sheet of paper... however, Citroen charge £200 for it! I then looked at something called the Certificate of Mutual Recognition... This looks at headlights, foglights and the speedo.

Thankfully, the foglights on the EU and UK C6's are the same, the speedo is as simple as going into the computer and switching it to miles, the headlights however... Citroen state in the handbook I can switch the headlights depending on what side of the road I'm driving on. I explained this to the Vehicle Standards Agency... they asked if I could prove it so I explained that it's in the cars handbook. The response was "We can't accept exerts from the handbook as proof

The car was MOT'd this morning, however, they won't accept this as proof the headlights have been changed either. I need to get an invoice from a VAT registered garage confirming they've checked the car over and that it meets criteria.

The car has had new discs and pads all round, it's got 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on it, new spheres, a new speedo and hasn't got a spot of rust on anything underneath it. It's amazingly clean underneath it in fact.

Anyway, till I get it back and give it a proper clean (it really needs it!), here's a few pictures of it

cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 07 2019, 08:35pm

Member No: #38
Great story so far David,

Best regards,

Phil C.
FraserG   
Thu Nov 07 2019, 10:29pm
Member No: #2011
I love a happy story. Excellent David. Enjoy your new mount.

The next challenge changing to right hand drive!
David Hallworth   
Sat Nov 09 2019, 02:10pm

[%*^#@!]... it's dead... totally dead...

It's been driving perfectly. It's done over 100 miles with the gearbox working spot on. Changing up, changing down, kicking down, the works. Then, the morning I was meant to get it back, it's died

It kicked a couple of times when stone cold, then the revs went up, the car slowed down and it's lost all drive. I think it's a fairly safe assumption that the gearbox is toast.

Waiting till Monday now so we can get a price to have the box fully rebuilt.

[%*^#@!]... thought we'd been lucky with that.
MGmike   
Sat Nov 09 2019, 06:15pm
Member No: #3151
David Hallworth wrote ...

[%*^#@!]... it's dead... totally dead...

It's been driving perfectly. It's done over 100 miles with the gearbox working spot on. Changing up, changing down, kicking down, the works. Then, the morning I was meant to get it back, it's died

It kicked a couple of times when stone cold, then the revs went up, the car slowed down and it's lost all drive. I think it's a fairly safe assumption that the gearbox is toast.

Waiting till Monday now so we can get a price to have the box fully rebuilt.

[%*^#@!]... thought we'd been lucky with that.

That is a blow but think of the +ve! It could have happened 50 miles in to your trip home
Hope the damage to your wallet isn't too severe (but I suspect it will be )
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 09 2019, 07:08pm

Member No: #1
MGmike wrote ...

That is a blow but think of the +ve! It could have happened 50 miles in to your trip home
Hope the damage to your wallet isn't too severe (but I suspect it will be )

Bullet biting time for at least 1 auto gearbox rebuild. Short term pain may give a longer term gain though as it is a late 3.0 HDi C6 so chin up David and don't worry about any potential 'divorce' threats
Website
David Hallworth   
Sat Nov 09 2019, 08:34pm

I'm going to persevere flushing the 407, the gearbox in this one hasn't been ran short of oil like the C6 had so I guess for the cost of some oil it can't help to see if one of them will at least stay mobile so it can be moved around the yard.

On Monday we're going to get some prices to have the box totally refurb'd on the C6. I'm expecting numbers between £2.5-3k.

I'm gutted it's not worked as the initial signs having flushed everything through were really good. I always knew it was going to need a rebuild but when it behaved as well as it did I was hoping it might last 6-12 months to ensure the rest of the car is good.

Oh well, nothing I can do now other then to bite the bullet. It's a nice car in great condition with zero rust on anything so it's worth persevering with

She will roll again!

David.
cruiserphil   
Mon Nov 11 2019, 09:34am

Member No: #38
Well done David,

Keep the spirits up.

Best regards,

Phil .
David Hallworth   
Wed Nov 13 2019, 10:34pm

Well, it appears that nobody replaces the oil cooler on these gearboxes when they are rebuilt and knowing what carnage takes place when they have failed, there's no way I'm spending £2.5k on a gearbox rebuild and taking a chance on a 2nd hand cooler.

The only place I can find the oil cooler for these cars is from Citroen. What's even more surprising is that the local dealer in Glasgow had one in stock and on the shelf. What's worrying is that one dealer have sold 4 of them this year.

Annoyingly though, they don't stock the o-ring that goes behind it so I've had to order that and will need to go back for it.

eke   
Thu Nov 14 2019, 04:09pm
Member No: #624
I bought it from here - Click Here - about 10 days ago, it arrived today.

The o-rings are coming from citroen-accessoires, I hope I can get them next week.

Br. Eke
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club