C6 2.7 HDI intake manifold cleaning

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
CorneSoutAfrica   
Mon Sep 23 2019, 08:56pm
Member No: #2836
Hi Everyone

Well since my car is getting closer to finally arrive, I have been thinking of an issue with all modern Diesels and the C6 2.7 and 2.2 for that matter is no exception. Due to the EGR the intake manifold do gunk up. Has anyone ever completely remove the intake manifold and clean it properly? I bet with a simple clean or decarbon the fuel economy will increase and just keep the car running as it is supposed to run.

Also, when you replace the diesel filter, do you only have to switch the ignition on and off a few times for the electric fuel pump to prime the filter or is there a more detailed description.

Lastly the diesel pump drivebelt. Should the pump be in a certain position in relation with the camshaft when replacing the belt?

Kind regards
Corne
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 24 2019, 06:58am

Member No: #1
Fuel filter guide etc. etc. is available in Tech Docs: - Click Here -

Rather than take the manifold off and risk breaking those fragile connectors you could get the engine cleaned internally via 'hydro clean' - Click Here - or similar
Website
CorneSoutAfrica   
Tue Sep 24 2019, 08:12am
Thanks. I will check.

My problem regarding using hydro clean is that I am in South Africa. As far as I know there are no similar systems locally, so I have to go the oldfashioned way. Will do a bit of digging
cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 24 2019, 01:06pm

Member No: #38
Hello Corne,

If your car is a 2.7 the filter bleed is very easy. I used to go through a more complicated routine until I got sense. There is a return to tank from the filter. When you have everything connected back, just turn on the ignition (do not start the engine). If you walk back to the rear fuel filler and listen you'll hear the gurgling sound of the fuel and air returning to the tank. When it goes quiet the fuel filter is bled and you're ready to go. This works for the 3.0HDi as well.

Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 24 2019, 05:44pm

Member No: #1
cruiserphil wrote ...

If your car is a 2.7 the filter bleed is very easy. I used to go through a more complicated routine until I got sense. There is a return to tank from the filter. When you have everything connected back, just turn on the ignition (do not start the engine). If you walk back to the rear fuel filler and listen you'll hear the gurgling sound of the fuel and air returning to the tank. When it goes quiet the fuel filter is bled and you're ready to go. This works for the 3.0HDi as well.

Well that's simple enough Phil
Website
cruiserphil   
Wed Sep 25 2019, 09:21am

Dave,

On the 2.7 I used to go through disconnecting the return pipe from the filter and putting it in a glass jam jar. Then I'd turn on the ignition and then off. The fuel pump would run and you'd wait until the fuel ran clear into the jar. But then you'd have to put your finger over the pipe to back pressure the fuel pump to stop it. When I first replaced the filter on the 3.0 HDi this method wasn't possible under the rear of the car. Then of course it dawned on me that I was disconnecting a return that goes straight back to tank. And when you turn on the ignition the fuel pump keeps running. So that's the background.

The Citroen instructions confuse the issue by instructing you to turn on and off the ignition several times. Just leave it on until its bled and then you're done.

Best regards,

Phil C.
CorneSoutAfrica   
Sun Oct 27 2019, 08:21am
Thanks Phil

Did exactly that and it worked great!

filter was extremely dirty, datestamp says it was manufactured in 2013....

Next up is the cambelt and intake manifolds that needs cleaning, one is done and it was extremely dirty due to the EGR

rwb   
Sun Oct 27 2019, 08:36pm
Member No: #1988
How exactly does the fuel filter come out (2.7)?

I tried to do it yesterday. Got all the bolts out and I thought it would lift up but nothing was for moving.
Website
Nikolaj   
Sun Oct 27 2019, 08:43pm
Member No: #4047
It has to lift up, but the O-ring can be resistant, I did it a few weeks ago, and a bit of persuasion with a screwdriver was nessesary to get it moving.
rwb   
Sun Oct 27 2019, 08:52pm
Member No: #1988
Ta I'll have another go...

I'm always nervous about applying too much force because the number of plastic clips on various parts that I've bust is astronomical.
Website
CorneSoutAfrica   
Mon Oct 28 2019, 11:48am
The worry of it breaking is always there. But it should just lift up.
cruiserphil   
Tue Oct 29 2019, 09:37am

Hello rwb,

The filter itself fits over a spigot so it may stay behind and need a little force as well.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club