C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

I got a very well kept C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Radox   
Tue Aug 27 2019, 06:58pm
Member No: #4044
Hello everyone, glad to have found this useful forum. About a month ago, I bougth a 2007 Citroen C6 2.7 HDI Exclusive with only 115.000 km on it! I was in love with the car for about 3 years and last month FINALLY succeeded in finding one that I wanted - black metallic with beige cream leather inside. It looks incredible, the most beautiful car interior I have ever sat in. The car also has the Lounge Pack seats option, although I only found out about these seats after I drove it home

The engine and the gearbox seem in perfect condition, I have already made about 5000km with the car and it runs seamlessly. However, it has some minor electrical issues, a broken daytime running light, a screeching driver door hinge etc. That's why next month I will go to an official Citroen dealer and have everything fixed, including oil changes, filter changes, completely new paintjob, new Michelin winter tyres etc. I will also change the [%*^#@!] Rivazza 17'' wheels with brand new Atlantique 18''s.

Now, I have 2 questions for you, the more experienced owners of the C6:

1. Is there anything that I must have specifically checked when I'm at the Citroen dealer, some part that breaks often, something with the turbochargers, the suspension spheres, etc???

2. What type of cable exactly do I need in order to connect a smartphone to the three yellow/red/white jacks in the glovebox so I can play music from the phone on the archaic infotainment system? That will be very appreciated.

So, in all, I think I was right for wanting the car for so long. I am not disappointed at all, there's not a single thing about this masterpiece I do not like. Except probably the pretty small boot and the very clumsy RT3 infotainment screen

C6Dave   
Wed Aug 28 2019, 11:10am

Member No: #1
Going through the video input jacks is probably not the way to go these days on an RT3 unit. With RT4 you can plug a lead into the head unit with a USB jack but there are options.

Try something like a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the lighter socket and tunes to an unused radio frequency - Click Here -

Lots of alternatives out there.
Website
Paulius   
Sun Sep 01 2019, 08:21am
Member No: #1821
It looks great!

I would definitely:
Check for the coolant return pipe corrosion under the left front wheel arc. Actually, I would just cut it off ant replace the entire section with rubber. (mine was starting to leak)
Check for oil pressure - those engines are really terrible. There are many myths surrounding it, but one thing is for sure - it's crankshaft is really weak and so are their oil pumps which tend to not supply enough pressure (hinted by louder clarkering of the valves/compensators for a few seconds after the startup). (my engine is about to go)
Change oil every 10k kms
Change transmission oil (mine shifted quite bad until i changed the oil)
Check if the ride height is correct and if the AMVAR actuators are working correctly (possible to do with LEXIA) for best ride comfort. (my ride heigh had drifted over the years and my rear-left amvar actuator was stuck a few "steps" harder)
MarkBevan   
Sun Sep 01 2019, 12:32pm
Member No: #3172
Connecting a smartphone to the infotainment system wise:

The cable is a 2 male RCA's to a 3.5mm stereo auxiliary jack jobbie (assuming that your smartphone has a normal headphone socket). Nothing needs to plug into the the 3rd yellow socket on the video input in the glovebox, as that's only for video. A cable like this would be fine: Cable

You will probably get better quality sound using a wire, than a Bluetooth FM Transmitter as C6Dave suggested (although thee volume is limited with a wire). A Bluetooth FM transmitter would certainly be more convenient, and less messy.

C6's seem to have deeper than usual cigarette lighter sockets. Not all accessories are long enough to fit.

I bought this Bluetooth FM transmitter for my son's car recently, it works fine and fits his car, but is too short for the C6: Bluetooth FM transmitter 1
I bought this one for the C6 and it was also too short: Bluetooth FM transmitter 2

I also bought these USB chargers recently and they are a bit too short (but because they are narrow, they can be pushed down far enough in a C6): USB charger

Radox   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 05:26am
Paulius wrote ...

It looks great!

I would definitely:
Check for the coolant return pipe corrosion under the left front wheel arc. Actually, I would just cut it off ant replace the entire section with rubber. (mine was starting to leak)
Check for oil pressure - those engines are really terrible. There are many myths surrounding it, but one thing is for sure - it's crankshaft is really weak and so are their oil pumps which tend to not supply enough pressure (hinted by louder clarkering of the valves/compensators for a few seconds after the startup). (my engine is about to go)
Change oil every 10k kms
Change transmission oil (mine shifted quite bad until i changed the oil)
Check if the ride height is correct and if the AMVAR actuators are working correctly (possible to do with LEXIA) for best ride comfort. (my ride heigh had drifted over the years and my rear-left amvar actuator was stuck a few "steps" harder)

My car makes exactly this clanking for 3-4 seconds after startup! Please tell me more about it!

I also have a strange problem with my suspension. Or probably is it no problem at all? I don't know the car so good yet and don't know if these things are normal.

1. When I unlock the car, from underneath it always comes a loud sound, which resembles a running pump. The sound lasts about 5 seconds and stops. Is this sound present in your C6?

2. After I have unlocked the car and the sound has stopped, first the rear part of the car rises and only after it has reached sufficient height, the front part begins to rise. Don't all 4 wheels have to rise simultaneously?

3. When I have driven the car and stop it and turn off the engine, the front half of the car sinks very fast, in less than a second. Only after this, the rear part sinks slowly. I am pretty sure that the entire car must lower itself slowly upon turning off the engine and not first the front wheels and then the rear ones?

If these 3 thing are not normal, what can be the cause of them? Worn spheres? Hydraulic pump? Suspension computer?

Thanks for the answers!
Paulius   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 05:24pm
1. Well, check your oil pressure at a service then. Most of the 2.7 HDIs sound like that. Maybe the compensators are worn.. I am not myself sure on this and input from fellow owners would be helpful.

2. If the car sinks during night, after "waking it up" (unlocking, for example), itraises to it's "ignition off" height. There can be a few reasons for it to sink, but if it doesn't get very low and there are no oil puddles under your car, it should be okay. One of my front strus is leaky and therefore it sometimes drops it's "nose" a bit, but it isn't loosing too much fluid and I'll only replace it once it starts leaking worse.

A logical reason for that height 'readjustment' on waking up is that so you don't hit your doors to a curb once it lowers out of your control.

Once you turn on your ignition, it raises to it's "working" height. It changes it's height front and rear separately, just as you described. The reason for that is that while any left-right wheel pair share the same amount of fluid (therefore same ride height), it needs to be able to adjust front and rear heights independently anyways (to compensate for the load) so it just routes it's pump to the rear and then to the front. It's just easier to route everything like that.

And when it is lowering, front does indeed do it much faster than the rear, perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that fluid has to travel a longer way from the rear to the front where the reservoir is. All that longer piping adds some resistance. It uses somewhat thinner pipes for all the height changing (adding or removing fluid from front or rear), but the pipes within front/rear "closed from each other" systems are wide so that it can spring to the spheres without piping resistance.

An interesting fact is that it also readjusts it's height every time you close the doors. If someone exits the car, it raises up because of the missing weight. When close all doors, it raises up or lowers to it's predefined height.

Hydropneumatic suspension has a lot more 'virtual' travel than a spring suspension therefore it is quite sensitive to height changes and needs to readjust itself after load changes. The whole height changing thing is not a gimmick, it is necessary for it to function, and ability to manually change it is just a 'bonus'.

Hopefully my insights were useful or at least interesting.
Radox   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 06:45pm
Paulius wrote ...

1. Well, check your oil pressure at a service then. Most of the 2.7 HDIs sound like that. Maybe the compensators are worn.. I am not myself sure on this and input from fellow owners would be helpful.

2. If the car sinks during night, after "waking it up" (unlocking, for example), itraises to it's "ignition off" height. There can be a few reasons for it to sink, but if it doesn't get very low and there are no oil puddles under your car, it should be okay. One of my front strus is leaky and therefore it sometimes drops it's "nose" a bit, but it isn't loosing too much fluid and I'll only replace it once it starts leaking worse.

A logical reason for that height 'readjustment' on waking up is that so you don't hit your doors to a curb once it lowers out of your control.

Once you turn on your ignition, it raises to it's "working" height. It changes it's height front and rear separately, just as you described. The reason for that is that while any left-right wheel pair share the same amount of fluid (therefore same ride height), it needs to be able to adjust front and rear heights independently anyways (to compensate for the load) so it just routes it's pump to the rear and then to the front. It's just easier to route everything like that.
And when it is lowering, front does indeed do it much faster than the rear, perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that fluid has to travel a longer way from the rear to the front where the reservoir is. All that longer piping adds some resistance. It uses somewhat thinner pipes for all the height changing (adding or removing fluid from front or rear), but the pipes within front/rear "closed from each other" systems are wide so that it can spring to the spheres without piping resistance.

An interesting fact is that it also readjusts it's height every time you close the doors. If someone exits the car, it raises up because of the missing weight. When close all doors, it raises up or lowers to it's predefined height. Hydropneumatic suspension has a lot more 'virtual' travel than a spring suspension therefore it is quite sensitive to height changes and needs to readjust itself after load changes. The whole height changing thing is not a gimmick, it is necessary for it to function, and ability to manually change it is just a 'bonus'.

Hopefully my insights were useful or at least interesting.

Thanks for the tips! So, it seems normal after all? I have absolutely no leaks, the cars rises immediately upon unlocking, the 4 selectable levels of the suspension function perfectly. I just had fear that the front lowers so quickly after turn the engine.

So what about the clanking noise from the engine in the first few seconds after start? You scared me that my engine is going to blow pretty soon! I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Can I fix it by changing the oil pump?
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 03 2019, 07:11pm

You will always get some noise on startup until the hydraulic tappets fill.

On a high mileage engine there will be some wear in the system making things a bit worse but yours isn't 'high mileage'

It all depends on what you feel is 'loud' as a diesel engine by it's nature will always be noisier than a petrol.
Website
Radox   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 09:12am
Last week, my car finally completed its two-week stay at the official Citroen service shop It was a nearly complete overhaul with everything I could possibly think of changed or fixed. I wanted the car to be in a perfect condition, because over the next year I will be traveling A LOT with it in Germany and can't afford for it to break down in the middle of a work trip. Here's what was changed/renewed:

- New Atlantique wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires
- New paintjob on the mirrors, doors, bumpers and front hood
- Driver's door hinge changed
- New right hand running light and left hand backing light (the old ones were broken/flooded)
- Removed the tow bar as I don't use it
- New front seat belts. The old ones were very dirty and also didn't retract smoothly
- New cruise control buttons and cables (hope this time it functions properly)
- New diesel, air, pollen and oil filters
- Engine oil changed with Total Quartz Ineo CWS 5W30
- Gearbox oil renewed with ESSO JWS 3309 (4 litres)
- Coolant and synthetic brake fluid changed
- Refill of the DPF with Elyos176
- New steel coolant pipe under the front left wheel arch and new thermostat housing (just in case, I've heard a lot of horror stories)
- New brake discs and calipers on all 4 wheels
- Hydropneumatic LDS fluid for the suspension and the power steering checked and topped up
- Sphere pressure checked (was OK on all seven)
- Joint bearings checked
- Suspension height recalibrated and suspension software updated
- And last, but not least - installed a Citroen hood ornament, which in my opinion adds that little final touch to the C6 luxury

It was not cheap at all (it cost nearly as much as I paid for the car itself) but I hope it was well worth it and I won't have problems at least for the next year!

C6Dave   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 01:16pm

If the cruise still doesn't work swap out the brake pedal switch as that can cause cruise not to engage (as can a faulty rear ABS sensor)
Website
Paulius   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 06:03pm
I would get rid of that extra logo.
MGmike   
Mon Oct 21 2019, 09:37pm
Member No: #3151
Radox wrote ...

- New steel coolant pipe under the front left wheel arch and new thermostat housing (just in case, I've heard a lot of horror stories)

I think you missed a very important item... the water inlet manifold will fail similar to the thermostat housing but if you're in the middle of a long run you'll get no warning until the engine is dead (unless you've fitted a low coolant alarm?).

Radox   
Mon Oct 21 2019, 11:00pm
MGmike wrote ...

Radox wrote ...

I think you missed a very important item... the water inlet manifold will fail similar to the thermostat housing but if you're in the middle of a long run you'll get no warning until the engine is dead (unless you've fitted a low coolant alarm?).

Can you please tell me which part number the manifold is?
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 22 2019, 06:59am

Radox wrote ...

Part number is 1336.Y2 and is used on CITROEN / PEUGEOT C5 C6 407 607

If you look at this post - Click Here - you can see where they fail. The end that holds the seal into the engine block breaks up and you can't see it visually though you might spot coolant leaking out.
Website
MGmike   
Tue Oct 22 2019, 07:33pm
Member No: #3151
C6Dave wrote ...

Radox wrote ...

Part number is 1336.Y2 and is used on CITROEN / PEUGEOT C5 C6 407 607

If you look at this post - Click Here - you can see where they fail. The end that holds the seal into the engine block breaks up and you can't see it visually though you might spot coolant leaking out.

the picture in this post is a little clearer (must be my inner photographer coming out )
- Click Here -
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club