Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Rear Cylinder head gasket replacement ?? Can it be done in car ??

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sidenham   
Fri Oct 11 2019, 10:50am
Member No: #3993
Hi all, I'm a new member "July"/19, and have a 2.7 with a blown head gasket after the usual water tank problems. Both now replaced thank god. Have still to check which piston bore is letting by but suspect it's the rear bank.

Can this be done with the engine still in the car or have I to remove it completely from the vehicle. Or can it be pulled forward enough to remove the items required so that the head can be removed.

Any advice would be appreciated hole heartedly. Have to say, this is a great site.
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 11 2019, 11:07am

Member No: #1
I have seen some pictures of a rear head replacement with the engine in the car in the Facebook group from Peter Kalna

He claimed is was easier than doing the front one
Website
sidenham   
Fri Oct 11 2019, 11:18am
Thanks for that Dave, how do I get to that post and pictures. As you can see I'm still finding my way around with things on here. Do I just go into his name in the search bar or try to find him on face book's main site ?
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 11 2019, 11:35am

sidenham wrote ...

Thanks for that Dave, how do I get to that post and pictures. As you can see I'm still finding my way around with things on here. Do I just go into his name in the search bar or try to find him on face book's main site ?

Well you need to be a member of Facebook, then join the C6owners group.

I searched on Cylinder Head and found it or look up 'Peter Kalna' posts

There's not a lot of detail, just a couple of images but with the 'Technical Documents' they are released by Citroen for workshop technicians to follow in line with a 'billing' process. It doesn't mean that there aren't 'shortcuts' others can find (and have as seen on site )

BTW which of the 2 plastic water tanks failed, top with the thermostat or lower one at the front of the engine?

Not that it matters as if your changing 1 then you should really change both and from a consensus on here, put it down as a maximum 5 year maintenance item to change them before they do let go.

I was lucky recently and when changing a leaking radiator opted to have the lower inlet tank replaced which was about to let go....
Website
sidenham   
Fri Oct 11 2019, 12:52pm
Well!! I had a leak so took it to the Citroen Independent in Romney Marsh he replaced the front one for me for £400+ and tested it saying all was ok. Took his word for it and drove to London 64 mls, on the return got to Faversham turn off and the oil warning overheat blazed up and the car shut down.

No Temp warning re water, four hours later got the car home. Top Thermostat housing had blown to bits and head gasket appears to now be gone. Repaired the top one myself 40 minutes at the cost of £26. Citroen's want £3500 to do the gasket, that's not going to happen.

I'm a capable man with a few years re-building MK2 Jaguars and my Saab 93 aero engines. Trouble is I've never worked on a v6 Diesel engine before, but think with help from guys on here I'd make a good job of it...
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 11 2019, 02:46pm

sidenham wrote ...

Well!! I had a leak so took it to the Citroen Independent in Romney Marsh he replaced the front one for me for £400+ and tested it saying all was ok. Took his word for it and drove to London 64 mls, on the return got to Faversham turn off and the oil warning overheat blazed up and the car shut down.

No Temp warning re water, four hours later got the car home. Top Thermostat housing had blown to bits and head gasket appears to now be gone.

Unfortunately that's one of the C6's weaknesses, no low coolant warning and the only indicator of a problem is the oil temperature rising which is why I always drive with the trip mode showing water and oil temp on screen (which I did on the recent trip to France and back where I found I had a coolant leak).

Did you get a warranty on the work already carried out?
Website
321dave   
Sat Oct 12 2019, 10:23am
Member No: #614
C6Dave wrote ...

sidenham wrote ...

No Temp warning re water, four hours later got the car home. Top Thermostat housing had blown to bits and head gasket appears to now be gone.

Unfortunately that's one of the C6's weaknesses, no low coolant warning and the only indicator of a problem is the oil temperature rising which is why I always drive with the trip mode showing water and oil temp on screen (which I did on the recent trip to France and back where I found I had a coolant leak).

Did you get a warranty on the work already carried out?

I'm sitting this morning at the Irish NCT test as I write this! I'm hoping on the engine Rev section the tanks hold up! They really are a shame when it comes to the C6. But I'm thinking if it was converted to Electric power all these tank issues would be no problem anymore. Just a thought. I also drive dave with the trip screen on. I guess we know what can happen!
sidenham   
Sat Oct 12 2019, 11:44am
I can see from your list that this Citroen Mechanic is not listed, although he has been in business in this area for a good few years. And NO I didn't get any warranty from them. My car is without the satnav system so I'm unable to have both oil and water temp gauges on at the same time. Not a very satisfactory way to drive a C6 around knowing the problems that manifest with these tanks.
There must be something that can be done to change this problem. Would adding a satnav be the right way .

Still haven't found that post on Facebook from Peter Kalin, or a link to getting a Citroen workshop procedure for removing the rear Cylinder head in situ.
C6Dave   
Sat Oct 12 2019, 12:47pm

You can 'retro fit' a coolant header tank and coolant level warning switch and there is a 'tutorial' available for it - Click Here -

I have just fitted a new tank - Click Here - which I got from 'Autodoc' in Germany and it's already cut out to fit the level sensor - Click Here -

Still haven't found that post on Facebook from Peter Kalin, or a link to getting a Citroen workshop procedure for removing the rear Cylinder head in situ.

You won't find a Citroen Tech Doc on changing the cylinder head in situ as they say the engine has to come out but the process should be pretty similar to this: - Click Here -

Are you a member of the Facebook C6owners group - Click Here - if you are there should be a 'search box' on the left hand side that says 'search in this group' put in cylinder head and click search and it's the 7th post down (for me)
Website
cruiserphil   
Sun Oct 13 2019, 07:20pm

Member No: #38
Hello Sidenham,

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Whichever way you go on the repair the coolant level sensor retrofit is a must!

Best regards

Phil C.
321dave   
Mon Oct 14 2019, 09:19am
Member No: #614
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello Sidenham,

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Whichever way you go on the repair the coolant level sensor retrofit is a must!

Best regards

Phil C.

I recently bought a second hand coolant tank with a level sensor already attached. It was I think from a Peugeot 407 if I'm not mistaken. I generally lift the bonnet at this stage once a week, only though because my coolant pipes and tanks are literally all new. Oldest pipe that I've changed is about 3years old now. I hope I'll be ok for another few years yet. But the level sensor is important if all the pipes are not replaced yet. You can drive with piece of mind at least.
sidenham   
Mon Oct 14 2019, 10:30am
Thanks to ALL for your input so far to my problems, I shall be looking to adding a new level sensing header tank and everything else to bring my car up to scratch.
If anyone has done this task before and can advise with some pointers to watch out for. I will be great-fully in their debt, Thanks again .

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club