Water inlet manifold

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
rwb   
Wed Sep 25 2019, 08:03pm
Member No: #1988
I see it's a common problem.

It's possible that I have a leak at the driver's side and it's not the thermostat housing.

And there are some documents: - Click Here -

But what's not mentioned in the tech docs and I'd like to know: where replacing the water inlet manifold is it necessary to remove the water pump and/or the timing belt?
(Because if it is then I might as well put on new ones while they're off.)
Website
MGmike   
Wed Sep 25 2019, 09:23pm
Member No: #3151
nope, only need to remove the alternator which is a bit of a pig...
321dave   
Thu Sep 26 2019, 11:32am
Member No: #614
MGmike wrote ...

nope, only need to remove the alternator which is a bit of a pig...

I've got it down to a 1hour at this stage. Was in to replace a coolant pipe gone bad attached to the tank in May. Not my favourite job on a C6.
When the air con pump is hanging out of the way, then you will need to hit the two retaining bolts on the head of the alternator bolts with a hammer first after you initially loosening them to push the receiving nuts at the other side back a bit to release the alternator away from the support cradle. Then you will be able to shine a torch up and see the plastic tank. All in it would be a hard hours work for someone with previous experience of the job. But it can be done in a evening if you take your time.

C6Dave   
Thu Sep 26 2019, 11:44am

Member No: #1
321dave wrote ...

When the air con pump is hanging out of the way, then you will need to hit the two retaining bolts on the head of the alternator bolts with a hammer first after you initially loosening them to push the receiving nuts at the other side back a bit to release the alternator away from the support cradle. Then you will be able to shine a torch up and see the plastic tank. All in it would be a hard hours work for someone with previous experience of the job. But it can be done in a evening if you take your time.

Steve who did mine had the bumper off and radiator out for changing anyway but he still took the aircon pump of and when finished regassed the system.

He said he had done one before on a Jag with the same engine but being rear wheel drive the engine was fore and aft so it was easier to do....
Website
rwb   
Thu Sep 26 2019, 09:34pm
Member No: #1988
Ta

Goodness me I won't be doing it myself; I'm incompetent with spanners -- much to my eternal fraustration!
But now I know what parts to (not) get.
Website
C6Dave   
Fri Sep 27 2019, 07:26pm

Member No: #1
Just restored cruiserphil's Tutorial - Click Here - on how to change the lower inlet tank 1336 Y2 for anyone else who has to do the job (everyone will eventually....)
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club