C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Fragile Under Bonnet Plastics on a C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 23 2019, 06:37pm

Member No: #1
Following a road trip to France I need to replace a leaking radiator so had a look around to see how easy it might be.

Now once the engine cover was off I could see (in the image below) a lot of broken wiring covering and a couple of broken pipe clips.

All were very brittle after 12 years and 128,000 miles (206,000 kms) and in an effort to stop water ingress and 'chafing' damage I sourced some 6.5mm bore split cable trunking off eBay for £1.49 ( - Click Here - ) and replaced all that I could today

It is a job worth doing to extend the life of a car and the next job is to source those broken pipe clips to stop vibration fracturing the actual pipes.

General maintenance does help in the long run and a couple of £'s/euro's is worth spending to avoid bigger problems down the line.
Website
C6Dave   
Wed Sep 25 2019, 05:42pm

OK had the radiator changed today as well as the lower water inlet tank (part 1336 Y2 ) Pleased I bought the tank as it had cracked around the seal area so if your replacing the thermostat housing part 1336 Y3 then it may be worth changing the lower one at the same time though it does mean removing the bumper etc' to get access.

However there are still another couple of problem areas around the cambelt cover.

The bracket at 'A' has broken so that I will repair as it's only available with the pipe set and costs circa £190....

At 'B' the pipe clip is missing so looks like I will have to fabricate something for that?
Website
MGmike   
Wed Sep 25 2019, 09:30pm
Member No: #3151
pipe at B doesn't have/need clips. It relies on the rubber connector providing an interference fit to the plastic pipes to contain the small vacuum used for the swirl valves
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 26 2019, 11:50am

OK bracket at 'A' is now secured.

Had some aluminium strip so made a piece for the top and bottom, bonded the 'sandwich' with fibre glass resin on the bench when I had the pieces aligned and put a pop rivet through the part not held with the screw to the belt cover.

Used a longer philips head self tapper to hold it in situ, splash of hammerite and it's not going to break again in a hurry

All that was needed was some plate, a hacksaw, a drill, some resin to bond it all, a file to clean things up and some paint and a couple of hours 'playtime'.

Still thinking about area 'B'.

BTW checked the pipes from the coolant header tank and they are dated June 2006, car was built 2007 and registered 2008 so most of the plastics are probably 13 years old.
Website
Fraunie   
Thu Sep 26 2019, 04:57pm
Member No: #3763
Does anyone the part number of "bracket A"? I couldn't find it... Thank you!
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 26 2019, 05:39pm

Fraunie wrote ...

Does anyone the part number of "bracket A"? I couldn't find it... Thank you!

There isn't one that we know of, apparently it comes as part of the pipe set and is why I 'moddified' my broken one
Website
C6Dave   
Fri Sep 27 2019, 11:03am

MGmike wrote ...

pipe at B doesn't have/need clips. It relies on the rubber connector providing an interference fit to the plastic pipes to contain the small vacuum used for the swirl valves

Have to diasagree Mike. Steve Edwards sent me some images of the original multipart clip on his car as shown below.

Clip is secured at 'A' holds the inner pipe at 'B' which clips to the outer pipe 'C'

Whilst picking up a coolant pipe this morning I checked with the local Citroen spares distribution centre and they couldn't find part numbers for the bracket and clips either so made my own from a steel strip with a brake pipe clip (left over from the Traction Servo install) bonded on with araldite and a self tapper from the back through the bracket and clip and held onto the locator with a nyloc nut.

I left the part of the original clip in place as well.

Website
MGmike   
Fri Sep 27 2019, 11:17am
Member No: #3151
Dave, sorry for the confusion. I was referring to there being no requirement for hose clips on the vacuum lines not the presence of locating clips.

I agree there are a number of "retaining and locating clips" which I guess get lost/forgotten when the timing belts are replaced.

Good job on manufacturing the replacements.
cruiserphil   
Fri Sep 27 2019, 01:16pm

Member No: #38
Hello Dave,

Nice job.

Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Fri Sep 27 2019, 05:28pm

Might try and improve on the swirl pipe clip but when changing the coolant header tank pipe (1351 LN) because it was 'bodged' with silicone found that the pipe itself seemed OK. It appears that the connection area on the tank has been subjected to extreme heat and is damaged so not sure the new pipe will seal.

As I can get a new header tank (Engine water degassing tank part 1323 S7) from Autodoc in Germany for the same price as a used one on eBay I'm opting for the new one which won't have 'hardened' with age and be likely to split....
Website
C6Dave   
Sat Oct 05 2019, 02:01pm

C6Dave wrote ...

As I can get a new header tank (Engine water degassing tank part 1323 S7) from Autodoc in Germany for the same price as a used one on eBay I'm opting for the new one which won't have 'hardened' with age and be likely to split....

New Tank arrived today and a quick and easy replacement.

Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club