C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Tyre pressure sensors?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Radox   
Mon Sep 09 2019, 02:46pm
Member No: #4044
My C6 currently has 17" Rivazza wheels. Last week, I bought a nearly new set of 18" Atlantique wheels. Soon, I will be changing the old wheels with the new ones. The question is - are the tyre pressure sensors that are on each of the new wheels compatible with the new ones (as I have requester the tyre guy to remove them from the Rivazzas and install them on the Atlantiques)?

The old wheels:

The new wheels:
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 09 2019, 03:41pm

Member No: #1
Yes they are the same
Website
gmerry   
Tue Sep 10 2019, 08:37am
Member No: #21
If they have been installed on the 17" rims for some time, there is a high probability that the stems will be corroded and impossible to unscrew. With care its possible to drill out the old stems and replace just the stems. Many tyre fitters wont do this kind of fiddly work so worth checking in advance.
Radox   
Tue Sep 10 2019, 03:02pm
gmerry wrote ...

If they have been installed on the 17" rims for some time, there is a high probability that the stems will be corroded and impossible to unscrew. With care its possible to drill out the old stems and replace just the stems. Many tyre fitters wont do this kind of fiddly work so worth checking in advance.

What do you mean by "stems"?
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 10 2019, 04:46pm

Radox the 'stem' is the part that sticks out through the rim and can weaken through chemical reaction to the point that they snap off...
Website
Radox   
Wed Sep 18 2019, 09:45am
Changed the wheels today. It went without problems, except ... surprise! The tyrefitter found out that on the old wheels, there were NO pressure sensors at all! How is that possible, when my Navi display shows "OK" next to every wheel? Probably the previous owner has just removed the sensors to save himself the hassle, and then somehow reprogrammed the system so it always shows "OK" for the pressure?
C6Dave   
Wed Sep 18 2019, 10:45am

Radox wrote ...

Probably the previous owner has just removed the sensors to save himself the hassle, and then somehow reprogrammed the system so it always shows "OK" for the pressure?

Yes it's simply done with Diagbox to stop the annoying 'beep' you get with them removed.:)
Website
rwb   
Thu Sep 19 2019, 08:49pm
Member No: #1988
The TPMS is awful.

I have more confidence in normal valves and stems to hold the air in in the first place (the TPMS stems are very flimsy), and my experience is that it doesn't warn until the tyre is so flat that you can already feel it and it's already ruined.
Website
Tjensen   
Fri Sep 20 2019, 10:29pm
Member No: #954
I have been saved by the TPMS system a few times. They report low pressure or even "puncture" when its still time to drive to the nearest place and top up/repair
eke   
Sat Sep 21 2019, 02:42pm
Member No: #624
I have also been warned by the TPMS twice and in both cases there was screw in the tire and it was slowly draining. So I have faith in TPMS.
cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 24 2019, 01:15pm

Member No: #38
Hello rwb,

Sounds like there is something wrong with your TPMS. Normally the low pressure warning comes on when the tyre is still very useable and even the puncture detected comes on at a pressure that you don't have to panic unless your tyre is punctured and is going flat rapidly. Generally if I get low pressure detected I keep going. If I get puncture detected I check as soon as possible and then continue if OK. One of the cars just has a problem that it doesn't alert low pressure. This appears to be because the system reports an absence of a speed signal from the ABS which I haven't got around to fault find!

Best regards,

Phil C.
JOHN1213   
Thu Oct 17 2019, 10:09pm
Member No: #3837
Good morning from New Zealand,

What is the battery life of the tyre pressure sensor?

Regards,
John
cruiserphil   
Fri Oct 18 2019, 08:20am

Member No: #38
Hello John,

Our 07 car is now 12 years old and has original sensors. We have owned the car for 10 years. All that required changing was the stems. I have a TPMS diagnostic tool and any time I check them it says battery OK! So battery life is 12 years so far.

Best regards,

Phil C.
MGmike   
Fri Oct 18 2019, 01:52pm
Member No: #3151
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello John,

Our 07 car is now 12 years old and has original sensors. We have owned the car for 10 years. All that required changing was the stems. I have a TPMS diagnostic tool and any time I check them it says battery OK! So battery life is 12 years so far.

Best regards,

Phil C.

I'll add a couple of years on to that... my 05 C5 still has three original sensors (I broke the other one changing the stem ) and no problems so far. Now I've said that one is bound to fail

JOHN1213   
Fri Oct 18 2019, 08:28pm
Member No: #3837
Thanks for that info. my C6 build date is March 2008 so I will put the sensors back in with the new Michelin Primacy 4 tyres that I will put on next week.
Regards John
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club