Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Tyre pressure sensors?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Radox   
Mon Sep 09 2019, 02:46pm
Member No: #4044
My C6 currently has 17" Rivazza wheels. Last week, I bought a nearly new set of 18" Atlantique wheels. Soon, I will be changing the old wheels with the new ones. The question is - are the tyre pressure sensors that are on each of the new wheels compatible with the new ones (as I have requester the tyre guy to remove them from the Rivazzas and install them on the Atlantiques)?

The old wheels:

The new wheels:
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 09 2019, 03:41pm

Member No: #1
Yes they are the same
Website
1 User said Thank You to C6Dave for this Post :
 Radox (09 September 2019)
gmerry   
Tue Sep 10 2019, 08:37am
Member No: #21
If they have been installed on the 17" rims for some time, there is a high probability that the stems will be corroded and impossible to unscrew. With care its possible to drill out the old stems and replace just the stems. Many tyre fitters wont do this kind of fiddly work so worth checking in advance.
Radox   
Tue Sep 10 2019, 03:02pm
gmerry wrote ...

If they have been installed on the 17" rims for some time, there is a high probability that the stems will be corroded and impossible to unscrew. With care its possible to drill out the old stems and replace just the stems. Many tyre fitters wont do this kind of fiddly work so worth checking in advance.

What do you mean by "stems"?
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 10 2019, 04:46pm

Radox the 'stem' is the part that sticks out through the rim and can weaken through chemical reaction to the point that they snap off...
Website
 Radox (10 September 2019)
Radox   
Wed Sep 18 2019, 09:45am
Changed the wheels today. It went without problems, except ... surprise! The tyrefitter found out that on the old wheels, there were NO pressure sensors at all! How is that possible, when my Navi display shows "OK" next to every wheel? Probably the previous owner has just removed the sensors to save himself the hassle, and then somehow reprogrammed the system so it always shows "OK" for the pressure?
C6Dave   
Wed Sep 18 2019, 10:45am

Radox wrote ...

Probably the previous owner has just removed the sensors to save himself the hassle, and then somehow reprogrammed the system so it always shows "OK" for the pressure?

Yes it's simply done with Diagbox to stop the annoying 'beep' you get with them removed.:)
Website
 Radox (Today)
rwb   
Thu Sep 19 2019, 08:49pm
Member No: #1988
The TPMS is awful.

I have more confidence in normal valves and stems to hold the air in in the first place (the TPMS stems are very flimsy), and my experience is that it doesn't warn until the tyre is so flat that you can already feel it and it's already ruined.
Website
Tjensen   
Fri Sep 20 2019, 10:29pm
Member No: #954
I have been saved by the TPMS system a few times. They report low pressure or even "puncture" when its still time to drive to the nearest place and top up/repair

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club